Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Grown up shoes for flats?
  • FOG

I am too old to look like a 5yr old on his first day at school so something that a grown up might wear. I am not against velcro per se as long as they don’t look like junior trainers e.g. AM40s

jedi

look at etnies, emaerica etc..

FOG

They look much more promising, thanks. I just hope my wife doesn’t see the ‘skate’ word as she will lay on the floor laughing till she cries!

carbon337
    Free Member

Dont let her see Nike 6.0 Mogans but I like mine on dmr v12’s.

4ndyB
    Free Member

I just ordered some Converse Allston Suede Ox for general use (biking & non biking) in bike friendly brown…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Converse-Unisex-Adult-Allston-Suede-Lace/dp/B003Q6D732

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FiveTen Freeriders in the Black/Grey colour.

cookeaa

I’m quite keen on Duffs. My current pair are comedy neon green and black but both my previous pairs I think they were ‘gamblers’ or ‘chargers’ were relatively conservative brown suade, sort of managed to look mid way between skate shoes and walking shoes. Good stiff soles too, Cons, Vans and etnies I lke but their soles seemed to be a bit flexy to me, personnal preference I know but aching to buggery arches half way down gethin ain’t fun.

TimTom
    Free Member

Try looking at Inov-8 Roclite 318 GTX

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=26&P=5050973156

I have them, perfect for riding and pushing.

alpin
    Free Member

+1 Nike 6.0 Range (inc Mogans). loads of various colourways to choose from.

Naranjada
    Free Member

How I’ve deliberated over this topic but with more of an emphasis on waterproof-ness!

There’s little if nothing out there that will provide a flat, stiff-ish, grippy sole and a GORE-TEX or eVENT membrane in a low-rise boot. I’ve searched and searched, the nearest I’ve seen are Mephisto Muto – French, semi-casual and expensive leather faux-walking boot, Clarks Rockrider GTX (similar to Muto but cheaper), Nike Blazer mid GTX (can’t find anywhere selling ’em) and some others the name of which escapes me in one of the outdoors shops on Deansgate, Manchester. I use AM40s and while they are great in dry and damp conditions, in the wet they only serve as foot-sponges. 5 10s are even soggier and take longer to dry by all accounts.

Most approach shoes and mid-height trail boots have a cleated sole with a pronounced instep which kills the grip of flat pedals and limits one’s foot placement on the pedal.

There’s a gap in the market here I reckon.

alpin
    Free Member

Naran.. +1

imp999
    Free Member

I’ve got some cheap Hi-tech boots, Nevana, Napalm, Nivia or something like that and they stick well to my Wellgo V12 coppies with the longer pins.
    Water proof, walk friendly(just a bit too bendy).

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Yeah, be sure and base your choice on looks, not performance. You do realise that the velcro flap on AM40s is just there to keep crap off your laces?

AM40s – one of the best flat pedal shoes on the market. Light, stiff, grippy as.

brakes
    Free Member

you can’t beat a decent skate shoe – I like Vans XLTs, and you can choose your colours for Nike 6.0s if you get them from the Nike online shop
    but if you were after something subtle, I always thought the Shimano MP90s looked good and are only £35 on CRC

EDIT: although only currently in a nasty white colour

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

They look special

rhys
    Free Member

Sorry 5.10 Impact Low in black with the black laces, not soggy just ace. And not special neither

peachos
    Free Member

i quite like the look of those shimano’s. just checked out the white versions & would be winners were it not for the camo sole, but that gets covered in crap anyways. hmmm…adds to wishlist.

brakes
    Free Member

5.10s are A* students from speshol skool
    :belm:

RustyNissanPrairie

old school vans;

stick like shit to a blanket and good enough for Andy Ruffell, me, and any other non-fashion victims.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, so we’re doing pics, are we?

Or perhaps the new Baron;

jedi

old school vans are too soft for me. i can feel my pedals in my feet 🙁 they make my feet hurt on drops as the sole collapses around the pedal and into my arch.
    having said that my mate cav still loves them and he used to ride demos with andy 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie, Vans were never the same after they stopped US manufacture. The rubber got all hard and the soles stopped gripping properly.

brakes
    Free Member

you can still get the stickier rubbered Vans on the more expensive shoes, like the Rowley XLTs which are nice and light too

RustyNissanPrairie

CaptainFlashheart – Member

RustyNissanPrairie, Vans were never the same after they stopped US manufacture. The rubber got all hard and the soles stopped gripping properly.

they still work okay for me on DMR V12’s but I agree the new ones will never beat the combination of the original Vans and a pair of brand new straight out of the box original Shimano DX’s in either gold or red, or if you had minted parents or a good paper round-a pair of Hutch bear traps.

neninja
    Free Member

5:10’s are great for oldies as they look like shoes the ‘polio generation’ were fitted with.

I’m 40 and wear AM40’s – they’re great as they are just like the golf shoes I was wearing in 1988

norcbot
    Free Member

have a look on here

http://rollersnakes.co.uk/home.php?cat=7731&Clearance Mens Shoes

thats where i get all mine from. Seems to be the cheepest around.

wpuk
    Free Member

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/40-camp-four

Not quite flat sole, but theyve been great with my podiums

atlaz
    Free Member

TK Maxx is your friend for “skate” shoes. Advantage being they’re cheap and if you hate them after a while, you didn’t drop a packet on 5-10 special shoes.

juiced
    Free Member

i liked my vans rowley xt’s ( very light weight) and like my emericas which have lasted well.

jedi

cool thing about emericas are they are skate shoes not meant for riding 🙂

timmys

I think these are the best looking 5.10’s at the moment.

sharki
    Free Member

And whilst not dressing like a 5yr old, you’ll be acting like one as you ride your bike..

Smiling ear to ear, rushing home from work to go out and play with your mates.

Shouting “Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” and making noises like your riding a motor crosser..

It’s nice to try and look mature on a mountain bike but i will or ruddy well should make you feel like a child again.

+1 Nike 6.0

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    FiveTen Freeriders in the Black/Grey colour.

Exactly

I use AM40s and while they are great in dry and damp conditions, in the wet they only serve as foot-sponges. 5 10s are even soggier and take longer to dry by all accounts

Just buy a pair of Sealskinz socks to go inside them

ken_shields
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these 5:10’s which has the sticky soles that I use with flat pedals – they’re called Guide Tennies

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I use Etnies. Look in the sale section here:

http://www.routeone.co.uk/

Filter by price, colour, make etc.

I’ve worn 5:10s and 6.0 Mogans in the past but prefer the feel of the Etnies really. You can move your feet around better and can really feel the pedal. I preferred the Nikes over the 5:10s for the same reason really – with the 5:10s I had no idea where the pedal was at times.

devs
    Free Member

So you get dressed up in your baggies or lycra, buff, camelbak and helmet and you worry about what your feet look like. You look a dweeb already to the great unwashed. Live with it and complete the look. Proper 5:10s are the only flat pedal shoe. FACT! 🙂

SSB_UK
    Free Member

How grown up are we talking?

Too far? 😀

I’ve got my 5.10 Chase (black /orange) on now and I’m 38. 😀

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/32-chase-black-orange

FOG

SSB_UK, Aaargh! That 1st lot look the shoes the killer nurse would wear just before she smothers her patients.

VanHalen

i’m probably going vans old school and a pair of seal skinz. that said i do like my nike 6.0’s but they arnt as grippy as vans/etnies.

i’ve got am40s but the soles havent lasted at all really given the amount of riding i do now. the uppers are fine.

if you buy really cheap vans from tk maxx they have the lovely hard plastic soles that are pretty pointless. buy the proper ones and you get a better sole.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

What do the Nike 6.0’s come up like sizewise, I’m a 9 in 5.10’s but 9.5 in Salomons, do the Nike’s come up narrow so I’d need to get a 10 or something?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Grown up shoes for flats?’ is closed to new replies.