Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Groggy day after a ride
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Went out for a ride which was much longer than usual (4hrs rather than 90mins) on Saturday and felt OK on the day, but during the night I can’t say I slept that well and then the next day I felt really nauseous, rough and generally quite groggy all day, and even today felt off colour oo.

Anyone else experienced this?

Is it just down to overdoing it or could it be something else?

mboy
    Free Member

+1 here

Couldn’t ride all that far/fast yesterday, and felt poo all day today!

First time I’ve felt like that in a while.

Currently trying to improve my diet somewhat though, so this might be my body reacting slightly to the sudden intake of healthier foods (though I have lapsed a bit also) than normal, and it will then level out and improve hopefully!

McHamish
    Free Member

Did you drink he same amoun of fluids that you would on a 90min ride? If so, possibly dehydration.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Not sure how much I drank, probably about the same if not slightly more.

Bucko

I used to get this when i first started riding. I soon learnt that I need to drink more, eat bananas/cereal bars during the rides, something like a milkshake asap afterwards and then a proper meal an hour or 2 later.

This is only for longer, all day rides obviously. Not so important for me for a pootle around the local woods

Don’t roadies call it the bonk or something? From what i’ve heard it can cause you to feel like crap for a day or 2 and even cause depression

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup sounds like poor recovery.

brooess
    Free Member

that’s a hell of a lot more of an effort. you would expect to drink over twice as much – you’ve ridden for over twice as long.
    Can’t diagnose what’s wrong with you but if you’re going to increase the effort like that then you need to prepare – carbo loading the days/night before, big slow-release breakfast (not fry-up) and feed well during, and after the ride.
    Think about what you’re eating/drinking as well as how much.

When you’re doing endurance stuff you need to think of food as fuel – there’s loads of info on the web and some of the stuff from Matt Hart in the mag is good.

mboy
    Free Member

Can’t diagnose what’s wrong with you

In fairness to everyone else who’s posted on here so far, I’d say that in both the cases of bushwacked any myself on occasion it’s to be expected… We’ve both suffered CFS/ME/PVF (call it what you want), and though I’m probably further through my recovery than he is, I still get the occasional bad day.

B, fair play for riding that far, well done mate. But I’m not surprised you’re shagged after it! Keep building up slowly…

FieldMarshall

As alluded to above, it could be a number of factors, dehydration insufficient fuelling.

However, based on the last post by mboy, speaking as someone who had and has recovered from ME, it sounds like you have just pushed yourself too hard too soon. I used to experience this all the time. My brain felt I was recovered way before my body actually was. Thus I was forever overdoing it. I found I could always push myself to achieve wanted I set out to, but would always pay the price afterwards.

But its great that you can achieve that much and is a really positive sign that you are on the mend. This will just be a minor blip in your recovery and I wouldnt worry about it in the slightest. Just dont overdo it too soon and listen to your body.

The poor sleep thing following hard exercise is most likely due to the fact that you have over stressed your body. You have therefore increased your adrenal output and as a consequence disturbed your natural cortisol cycle.

I also suffered quite badly from the delayed fatigue response. Believed to be linked to the mitocondrial cycle and poor regeneration of ATP from ADP.

I found Ribose supplementation really helped initially in my recovery. Once I felt sufficiently recovered I stopped using it (its quite expensive) and switched to using Torq energy drinks and energy bars, which also contain Ribose.

Hope this helps.

jedi

barny, its your body reacting to not riding bmx with me and atkins FACT!

rewski
    Free Member

Atkins would do it, you need more water and carbs. I find zipvit electrolyte tabs pretty good during exercise, nice watermelon flavour too, did you not sleep due to leg spasms? If so there’s a night time recovery drink called nocte by sis, zipvit do one too that’s great with whole milk. Like with most fitness you have to build up slowly. Good diet and sleep, don’t go mad on expensive energy bars, peanut butter sarnies and malt loaf are much cheaper.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Interesting stuff – when I was in bed I was asleep but felt like I was only getting quite light sleep – tossing and turning all night. Leg spasms are common for me after a hard ride.

Been looking at electrolytes and salts as I think this might help. Thanks for the ideas – I was actually looking at the Torq one this morning down at my local bike shop Fetish.

Jedi – FACT!

FieldMarshall

I too suffer(ed) from leg spasms/fidgety legs after a hard ride and have found that managing my electrolyte levels has been a crucial part of my recovery and ability to ride for longer/harder.

Again, from what I have read/learnt in the last two years, your electrolytes are “controlled” by your adrenal function. So anything you do to overstress your body could potentially affect your electrolyte levels. And hence lead to dehydration.

My potassium level was sky high when I was ill, so I tend to avoid electrolytes that are overly high in potassium (which unfortuantely most are – as “normal” folk tend to become potassium deficient during intense exercise). I also now tend to avoid bananas for the same reason.

Agree, energy bars/drinks are expensive. But for some us “good diet and sleep” isnt enough in the the initial stages of recovery from ME/PVFS.

I find the Torq stuff excellent and its very easy on the stomach compared to other makes.

Nowadays I can ride quite happily without the need for expensive energy products but I still religously use High 5 zeros even on short rides.

jameso

The poor sleep thing following hard exercise is most likely due to the fact that you have over stressed your body. You have therefore increased your adrenal output and as a consequence disturbed your natural cortisol cycle.

Something I learned from experience, a while back I had continued issues sleeping after longer / harder rides and it stopped me getting better endurance as I just couldn’t repeat the rides next day due to fatigue. It was pointed out that too much too soon or an unusually long ride means there’s a lot more cortisol floating around and that plus dehydration can lead to the light sleep / higher HR feeling.
    A proper protein shake, or at least a choc milk as soon as you get in, a good protein / carb mix dinner, an evening snack, plus fluids helps. Also I find aspirin and a magnesium+calcium supplement seems to help me rest better – a recommendation that seems to work.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Drink more and refuel after a ride. For Goodness Shakes work followed by proper food works for me.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Been looking at electrolytes and salts as I think this might help

Or alternatively if you are eating a normal balanced diet there is no need to do this after what is a relatively short ride, even if it may be long for you.

I’ve had symptoms like the OP after rides, what helps for me is properly stretching afterwards, eating some carbs and proteing within 1 hr, drinking a bottle of coke (dont know why but really helps me) drinking lots of water, eating fruit, and if I still feel off, going for a short walk in the evening.

mttm
    Free Member

Reading this with real interest. I get what I call an “exercise hangover” after every big weekend ride, and have done for the last few years (long enough that I’ve given it a name, anyway). I will sleep badly, feel horrendously fatigued the following day, my insides will be churning away and I’ll have a pretty foul taste in my mouth. It’ll take me most of the week to get over this… and then I’ll do it again! Every week!

I typically ride for between four (winter) to six (summer) hours, and it’s pretty sustained i.e. I’ll be riding for nearly all of it. I’ll have good power on the day, I’ll fuel (H5 gels mostly) and hydrate (used to use Nuun, now H5 Zero) and I’ll finish feeling good. Tired, but good. I’ll be raveous afterwards and eat lots. And the following day I’ll feel like crap.

So really interested in this one. Torq has just gone on my list of “must try” items…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I’ll fuel (H5 gels mostly) and hydrate (used to use Nuun, now H5 Zero)”

…. and you wonder why your feel like crap the next day ?!?! Can’t you substitute some of the awful artificial stuff for more natural stuff?

mttm
    Free Member

Aside from a “natural is best” kneejerk reaction, is there any substance to that statement?

FieldMarshall

Or alternatively if you are eating a normal balanced diet there is no need to do this after what is a relatively short ride,

Ignoring what constitues a “normal balanced diet” for now, I dont disagree with this, unless you body is not functioning normally. As probably is the case of the OP.

Thus if he is having to elevate his cortisol levels more than “normal” to ride that far, he will aslo be increasing the level of aldosterone, as it is regulated indirectly by cortisol. As aldosterone controls electrolyte levels any shift in this could easily lead to an electrolyte imbalance.

Alternatively he could just drink coke! 😉

I have never drunk coke regularly, but I used to crave it after a heavy night out. Think it was the sugar. But not sure.

jameso

Thus if he is having to elevate his cortisol levels more than “normal” to ride that far, he will aslo be increasing the level of aldosterone, as it is regulated indirectly by cortisol. As aldosterone controls electrolyte levels any shift in this could easily lead to an electrolyte imbalance.

Interesting + useful, thanks. So I guess aspirin just helps combat blood thickening due to dehydration, better to hydrate / electrolyte balance in the evening while cortisol levels are high. Is cortisol linked to high heart rates, or does it cause it?

On the natural vs sports foods, if you’re not at near race-pace where it’s hard to digest food, surely gels and the like are a waste of £? I’ve always been a fan of what seems to be the ‘Tour Divide performance plan’ – ride steady and long on whatever garage snacks you find along the way )

rewski
    Free Member

Tour Divide performance plan

in the movie ‘ride the divide’ I recall the lead rider had a breakfast of waffles or pancakes with coffee granules.

mttm
    Free Member

…near race pace…

No, but I’ve always found it quite hard to digest “real” food whilst out riding – it just seems to sit there. I’ve always been in awe of anyone who can eat one of Ginsters’ finest and then ride up a hill. But I do hear and agree on the cost… it’s a stinger.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Really interesting stuff. I’m starting to think it is down to the electrolyte aspect which is affecting me. Its only in the past month I’ve been able to ride at a good pace for an hour.

Riding that far on saturday (with someone on a CX bike who is an industry bod and quite fit) perhaps wasn’t the best idea but it has given me a good view on my next obstacles to overcome on my recovery.

Think I might be getting a container load of Torq recovery powder for after my BMX rides with Jedi 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Had a couple of reasonable sized rides (For me) including the red at GT.

Don’t know if it is or not but the Torq recovery stuff seems to work a treat – not has that groggy feeling even half as bad, admittedly it is still there but mild compared to what it was.

Happy days 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Groggy day after a ride’ is closed to new replies.