Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Great ride ruined by dogs!
  • kevin1911

I went for an early morning blast today around Plean (near Stirling). It was great – the air had that nice fresh, crisp feel to it and it was nice and cool without being cold. I felt nice and energetic – more so than I have on the bike all year. I didn’t have a set route – I just followed trails at random, and they all gelled together to flow really nicely. It would have been a brilliant ride if it wasn’t for getting chased by dogs no fewer than 6 times, with two of the dogs lunging at my ankles with jaws open. And to top it off, I got home to find that a gooey dog turd had been flicked up by the front wheel and stuck itself to my shin. Grrr. The missus didn’t half laugh though…

JAG

Maybe playing outside isn’t for you 😆

You should get a nice game console and stay inside where it’s warm, dry and there are no dogs 🙄

devash
    Free Member

I’m a dog lover and have owned dogs my whole life, but if a dog comes at me aggressively when I’m on my bike they get a good cleat-reinforced kick to the chops.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I’d honestly say who gives a monkeys, seriously it’s all part of the fun of it not knowing if you’ll get stalked by a dog, raving looney, a van driver, and what is often the icing on the cake is watching a couple have sex behind a tree/bushes.

All in a days work.

Perhaps you could try knitting.

mattyfez

Yeh, going through puddles on the tops round my way generally means a good spattering of sheep and rabbit pool in the process, comes with the territory.

Mind you there’s something particularly nasty about dog mess, it’s just more vile and stinky, probably because they are carnivores fed on processed rubbish.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Jif lemon filled with chloros bleach, tends to deter most varieties of vermin – and you can give them a custom coat-style as well 🙂

kevin1911

Mind you there’s something particularly nasty about dog mess, it’s just more vile and stinky, probably because they are carnivores fed on processed rubbish.

Yeah, I think you’re right there – that and the fact that their owners really should be picking up after them.

Must admit I very nearly did boot one of the dogs in the chops. Not sure why I didn’t actually.

kevin1911

Jif lemon filled with chloros bleach, tends to deter most varieties of vermin – and you can give them a custom coat-style as well

I like your style! Like a little hand grenade. Do you have a custom-made bar mount for it?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Slips into jersey pocket just fine – if ever challenged by law I’d say was for disinfecting any wounds, always best to use weapons with built in alibi potential 🙂

spooky_b329

Try being on a horse and being chased by a dog!

There is no NHS when a dog bites your horse, (well there is for the human when you get thrown off) and those few seconds when the dog is deciding whether to obey its owner or advance can feel like minutes!

My backup option is turn the horse round and charge at the dog but could still come off worse.

kevin1911

Oooft that doesn’t sound too good at all!

rene59
    Free Member

Scythed wheelbuild a la a gladiators chariot is the answer here.

kevin1911

Yeah, until the first crash leaves you like a fruit smoothie 🙂

falkirk-mark

You should have went to Torwood. better class of dogwalker there.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Had one a couple of weeks back where there was a couple walking a little dog of no particular threat and the guy shouted a warning for his dog. Thought he meant the little thing and smiled and went onwards, then suddenly bounding out of the trees comes this rottweiler monster, snarling, and heading straight for my legs. Sped up and just hoped it would give up, which thankfully it did.

Got the heart going and a bit of fun really 😆

smatkins1
    Free Member

I quite enjoy having a dog chase me as long as it’s going into some singletrack. It really gets the adrenaline going when something fast with teeth is trying to catch you. Dam things take all the Strava lines though!

TimothyD
    Free Member

The people suggesting you could take up knitting or stay indoors are well weird, if they’re genuinely having a pop at you.

People should learn to control their dogs…

allthepies
    Free Member

That’ll be the dog owners.

kevin1911

It seems to be par for the course on here. You could come on here and say that everyone who replied with a non-negative comment would get a million pounds and they’d still come back with snidey comments. The good folk usually outnumber the cynics though. 🙂

kevin1911

True dat allthepies 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Ha, I was in NZ once, middle of nowhere when two fighting type dogs chased me, I sought refuge up a tree. They started biting my bike and only backed off when one blew the back tyre, made a gunshot loud bang. I took this brief window to retreat at speed, with my now punctured bike down a fireroad to safety. I’m definately a pussy person. Recently a local dog walker took objection when I suggested that she control her greyhound that had just run directly at me, teeth gleaming, what she didn’t realise was that it would have put it’s foot straight through my moving wheel if I hadn’t stopped. Definately a pussy person.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Great ride ruined by dogs!’ is closed to new replies.