Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 573 total)
  • Le Tour (may contain spoilers)
  • swavis

Didn’t see one so I set up a fantasy league

League Name: STW Fantasy League
    League Code: 29092751

taxi25
    Free Member

Can we have a le tour thread this year without endless pointless speculation about doping !!
    Just one thread where the racing and drama of the most fantastic sporting event can be appreciated without the same boring haters going on and on and on…………

njee20
    Free Member

Please tell me it’s not Bill and Bob doing the commentary?! As annoying as Millar’s voice is he’s rather good!

Of course it is. It’s been Liggett and Sherwen since about 1905, that’s not gonna change!

bikebouy
    Free Member

My club are going out later this week to the start, then meeting up again on St3..

If I wasn’t at work I’d be out there with them 😕

My Tip?

Bertie FTW.
    Nibbles 2nd by 11 seconds.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Inclined to agree. Froome another DNF. Quintana probably rounding out the podium.

See Nibbles won the Italian champs again, mirroring last years build up.

swavis

I’m really hoping the Eurosport commentary will be Carlton Kirby and Brian Smith. Carlton getting excited at the finish and the nonsense is entertaining and I find Brian easier to listen to than Sean.

dragon
    Free Member

I’m also on the Contrador FTW, Nibbles on the podium and Froome to crash out in the 1st week.

Would love to see one of the Yates finish in the top 10.

taxi25
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Carlton Kirby has become the GoTo voice of Cycling on Eurosport. Once David Harmon left it was a no brainer really for them to choose Carlton.

Whilst in no way saying Carlton isn’t good, David and Sean were the best by a long shot IMO. I really miss their rambling chats whilst the mikes were rolling and endless shots of flat lands covered in Sunflowers.

Brian Smith, Nah don’t like him sorry. Would prefer Dan Lloyd or Dave Millar or Whatshisname Stephens off GCN (damn I can’t think of his first name :roll:) He did the UK Nats yesterday and quite a few other Classics earlier, such a great voice, insight and humour.

As for Froome, ah yes a crash in the second week will bend Sky all out of shape. Hoping Kennagh gets in (can’t open the link at work) and Kyri.

I’d really love Pinot to win, I so want a French Bloke to step up there and yet I think a top 5 is his limit, sorry b’out that. 😕

spawnofyorkshire

I’d much prefer to have David Harmon back commentating on Eurosport. All the excitableness of Carlton Kirby but he actually knew what he was on about and not frothing s**t out of his mouth

lunge

Got to have Sean Kelly, his Irish tones are part of the Tour for me, no-one else is close.

AlexSimon

swavis – Member

I’m really hoping the Eurosport commentary will be Carlton Kirby and Brian Smith. Carlton getting excited at the finish and the nonsense is entertaining and I find Brian easier to listen to than Sean. The only thing I can see published says it’s Carlton and Sean Kelly.
    Shame that David Harmon isn’t used any more – I thought he was a great replacement for Duffers.

There seems to have been something gone wrong with the Harmon/Eurosport relationship, but I don’t know what it is.

dragon
    Free Member

Slightly surprised that Sky have left out Bernie from their selection. I don’t think that team looks all that TBH, probably great at putting out big numbers, but not much in the way of team leadership. I could be wrong mind.

martinhutch

Team Sky’s race leader Chris Froome said: “Last year’s disappointment is this year’s motivation for Team Sky. From the moment I crashed out in 2014 I’ve had the burning desire to get back to this year’s Tour in the best possible shape.

Didn’t he say at one point that he was so unimpressed with the stages and relative lack of TT this year that he was considering just doing the Giro, and needed a reminder of his ‘responsibilities’ from management?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Joined the velogames fantasy league … thanks Swavis.

And I set up a league on…. http://fantasy.road.cc/home

The Fantasy Road is more involving than the “purist” Velogames… you can make tranfers each day on Fantasy Road as opposed to Velogames where you pick a team and stick with it.

NB … no need for league ID on Fantasy Road, just find STW in the league list.

lunge

Geraint Thomas will be the captain I would guess, though I guess Roche could do that job too. Very climber heavy team, that means a lot of responsibility on Thomas and Stannard on the flatter stages on the cobbles to keep Froome safe. I can’t help but feel Kiryienka would have been useful pick for the flatter stages and the TTT, maybe in place of Rowe or Kennaugh.

Anyway, Bertie to win, Froome 2nd, Quintana 3rd, Nibbles to prove he only won last year and no-one else was there.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes bring back David Duffield 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I can’t see Froome having a good race. the other teams will pressure him heavily in the first week. more cobbles…

Contador for the win.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Stages that could be interesting…

you missed stage 2, where they’re hoping cross winds will produce a another thriller like Saint Amand-Montrond in 2013 (where contador took back over a minute from froome on a pan-flat stage).

Please tell me it’s not Bill and Bob doing the commentary?! As annoying as Millar’s voice is he’s rather good!

I pay for Eurosport so that I don’t have to listen to the cliche-ridden drivel of Statler and Waldorf, who’s commentary I can only assume is a compulsory part of the rights package that ITV4 have bought.

I will no doubt be watching whole stages live, and then watching the highlights in the evening in case I missed something.

Not interested in doping debates during the race, but having heroes and villains is part of what makes sport interesting. I hate Valverde despite his riding prowess as he is an unrepentant doper. I love Contador for his riding prowess despite being an unrepentant doper. Cycling’s brilliant.

If you’re on twitter and don’t already, check out @ukcyclingexpert for some brilliant spoofing of newbie pseudo knowledge (like Cav rides for Essex Quick-Fit…).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Essex Quick-Fit

… 🙂

My dream team … Cav, Dowsett, Stannard

spawnofyorkshire

Very confusing situation. Mark Cavendish is from the Isle of Skye but rides for Essex. Ian Standard rides for Team Sky but is from Essex!!

Quality 😆

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’m disappointed about Liggett and Sherwen, to be honest I don’t mind any of the Eurosport commentators, they’re all pretty good with their own styles. (I actually find Brian Smith quite funny when he gets a bit pappy about what teams are doing!) but Eurosport can be irritatingly unreliable when it comes to recording stuff and swapping channels last minute.

Bikebuoy – Pinot

This!! Boys got style and class, would love to see him take the win. He’s probably this years TDF man crush…

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Carlton Kirby – Listen out for how often he shoehorns the phrase “right now” into sentences, especially (but not exclusively) when he gets excited. When you notice, it becomes impossible to listen to him.

You’re welcome.

jonba
    Free Member

Froome’s comments were that it is unlikely we’ll see a winner emerge in the first week but we may see a few people eliminated in crosswinds and on cobbles.

Not seen or heard much of Quintana this season. Froome seems to be riding well and Contador looked as strong as ever in the Giro, but will the effort cost him?

If they make it to the end I think a Froome/Contador battle. Quintana to round it off on the podium.

Should be a good year. I’m on holiday for the last two weeks of it so hopefully I’ll still be able to see some of it.

llama

I’m going with Froome for the win.

You can bet Sky have learned from last year and I’ll be surprised if he has problems not looking where he is going like last year.

If Bertie wins he will be the first to do the Giro/Tour double since Pantanti. Just saying.

Froome out classed Nibbles in the Dauphine. Did Nibbles have a bad day? I don’t think he can compete with Froome or Bertie.

Only leaves happy face Quintana. Bit of an unknown due to hiding down in Columbia. We’ll see.

llama

League Name: STW Fantasy League
    League Code: 29092751

I’m in: quintana llama farma drama

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bikebuoy – Pinot

And Bardet too, like his style. Think he’ll be top Frenchie.

atlaz
    Free Member

Apparently Sky have two blokes called Richie Porte riding for them. They have the one who’s underperformed in grand tours for years and this one:

Richie Porte – age 30 – Australia
    One of the finest and most feared climbers in the peloton

I’m glad they’re bringing the feared climber rather than the bloke who is good in 1-week races but has been a disaster for quite some time in 3-week races.

I’d guess that Sky will have a much better race than last year. Froome was fairly convincing at the end of the Dauphine and unless he was playing mind games, Nibali was a bit of a mess. Contador is a bit of an unknown as is Quintana. Should be a good one if they can all get to the mountains intact; I don’t recall such a large number of big-mountain experts in the Tour for a while.

atlaz
    Free Member

And Bardet too, like his style. Think he’ll be top Frenchie.

Shame Bouhanni seems to be day-to-day for the team after tearing intercostal muscles at the French national champs yesterday.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Don’t forget Nibali came into the Tour last year having had a “nightmare” year, didn’t win anything and looked rubbish right up until Nationals. I reckon he’s going for the exact same trajectory.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

ROFL @ Atlaz

IdleJon

jonba – Member
    Froome’s comments were that it is unlikely we’ll see a winner emerge in the first week but we may see a few people eliminated in crosswinds and on cobbles.

Stage 6, Abbeville – Le Havre could be horrendous if it’s windy. I was there a few weeks ago and every ride was a trial by combat with the wind. Some motorbikers who had ridden down from Calais were saying how they’d been leaning over for the whole ride.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

1,2,3: Quintana, Froome, Nibali

Contador and half his team will feel the Giro on that last week in the Alps.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Just read the new piece over at inrng. Getting excited 🙂

lunge

Bernie Eisel’s Beard now in the Velogames league. Decided to go with no 2 riders from the same team.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve dropped my team in. Not too happy with it, mainly because I’ve avoided putting two riders in who i don’t want to jinx

RustyMac

Has RealMan turned up yet?

Rusty bolts in the fantasy league.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Interesting that Astana have left Aru at home to avoid any more issues with him out-riding Nibbles… personally I dont think Nibbles has enough support to go for GC, Fuglsang is the only rider who can last with the other GC riders as Scarponi is just too old. Boom will be looking forward to the first week.

Contador has a lot of support in comparison, Kreuziger, Majka, Rogers, similar situation for Froome and Quintana to be honest, I can just see those three teams really pushing Astana.

I’m a bit of a fan of the Slipstream team of old so will be rooting for Talansky and hoping the likes of Dan Martin and Van Barrle get some breakaways action going.

I still think this is the most open and exciting tour in years, as others have said it wont be won in the first week but the start of the third week will see only 3 or 4 left in it.

Brailsford’s comments about the TTT were interesting, he was saying this year that its all about how quick your fifth man is rather than an ITT where its down to the GC guy to pull out the time and some teams will suffer badly

timidwheeler

Team Pie have joined the fantasy league.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 573 total)

The topic ‘Le Tour (may contain spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.