• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by scud.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gravel "racing" carrying stuff?
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Just riding about on my CX/Gravel bike I use a small Wingback spltback and it’s a nice rucksack, doesn’t bang me in the back of the head or make my shoulders hurt. I did the Galloway Gallop (100km) with it on.

However have a much bigger ride coming up (that 200km one) so thinking about other options?

1) Water 1-3 litre in rucksack, with waterproof top, spares, foods (as usual)

2) Tangle bag (I have one) on bike with l litre bladder spares and some food. Waterproof jacket and more food in jersey pockets.

3) Tangle bag for spares and all food, waterproof in jersey pocket, try and squeeze 2 x 500ml bottles under it. Though generally I really hate bottles off road when they get mucky and I forget to drink from them which worries me.

I could also just buy more stuff as it’s easier than actually doing any training. Any thoughts from long distance types?

boxelder

Don’t carry too much water. No more than 60Km between feeds – couple bottles on the bike?
    Edit – re-read you views on bottles.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

ta, yeah i don’t want to lug too much water all day

I’m swaying to option 2 and eat the stuff out my pockets first

mattsccm
    Free Member

Way to much if water is available. Its no different to a road ride except you may carry extra tubes.
    2 big bottles will be plenty. Tools in small seat pack. Food in two pockets. Waterproof in the other.

kcal

consider fuel pod or whatever on stem to carry really handy tools, snacks, phone.. I too hate having stuff on my back, rather it was on the bike where possible.

scud
    Free Member

Remember for Dirty Reiver you need to be able to carry whistle/ survival bag etc too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gravel "racing" carrying stuff?’ is closed to new replies.