Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 276 total)
  • 'Migrant men banned from German swimming pool'
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

HIs point is that those rules apply to everyone and these rules apply to a specific race/grouping hence they are irrelevant to this discussion;
    they are different as they dont just apply to say white males etc,

DrJ

Suppose that Germany established refugee camps/centres in Turkey or Lebanon or somewhere, and made it a condition that refugees had to pass some sort of test to show that they understood, accepted and observed German customs with regard to gender equality etc. before they were allowed to continue their onward journey to Germany. Would that be “racist”, discriminatory?

And if not, what is the difference that these centres are physically located in Germany. And the only part of their onward journey that is restricted is the one to the swimming pool?

Edukator
    Free Member

Thank you, Junkyard. The rules I point out are relevant because they apply to easily identifiable groups with a particular group ethic that is viewed as anti-social. Bikers get banned, rugby players get banned, football supporters get banned, neo-Nazis get banned… all easily identifiable groups of males. In this case it’s a group of immigrants.

One biker turns up at a campsite, no problem. Twenty turn up, cause trouble and bikers get banned from that campsite. I regularly stay at a campsite where groups of young males are turned away. One group tried a court case having being evicted for drunken anti-social behaviour. The owner won and is now even stricter not letting groups of young males on at all.

nealglover
    Free Member

Thank you, Junkyard. The rules I point out are relevant because they apply to easily identifiable groups with a particular group ethic that is viewed as anti-social. Bikers get banned, rugby players get banned, football supporters get banned, neo-Nazis get banned… all easily identifiable groups of males. In this case it’s a group of immigrants.

None of those groups are specifically excluded. You are talking about dress codes!

They just have to dress accordingly.

You wouldn’t be allowed into the Vatican wearing speedos.

That doesn’t mean the Pope hates swimmers.

Can you honestly not see the difference.

Northwind

nealglover – Member

The pope loves swimmers! If a sperm is wasted, god gets quite irate.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The issue is that race is a protected category, you can say “no Man U fans” or “shoes and shirt must be worn” but you can’t just say “no blacks, no irish”. At least not in this country, and not in any other that adheres to european law or the CERD principles.

(and don’t bother getting all pedantic about the definition of “race”, it’s all clear enough in the law and it’s application)

Having lived as a visible minority in a country where the CERD is not enshrined in law, it’s an uncomfortable existence I can tell you.

chewkw
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Actually Merkel didn’t invite 1m refugess, she invited everyone from Syria who arrrived in Germany legally. Its just the last part which not surprisingly is being ignored. When she did it I immediately called her an idiot on the forum. See my post above, quote from the ethically Moroccan German – the government has lost control which is no surprise at all.

In the far east old women say Merkel is stooopid to make such an announcement to welcome strangers en mass.

They do not have to be politicians to understand the consequences of human nature.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yes bikers look different to refugees. Both can cause trouble when they arrive en masse in sensitive places. Not every biker is a thug, not every migrant is a sex-fiend. If migrants didn’t descend on places in large groups and then cause trouble there wouldn’t be an issue.

On the reception of a swimming pool it’s easy to spot potential trouble whether it be bikers or immigrants. Although migrants are banned from that pool if one migrant turned up they would have no trouble getting in. Just as one biker will have no trouble getting on a campsite. It’s not the fact they are migrants that’s got them banned, it’s arriving as a group and not respecting the other users of the pool.

I’m sure the mayor will find a solution, the short term one is a blanket ban, I’m confident something fairer will be found.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Not every cyclist is a scofflaw and hooligan, if cyclists didn’t ride in groups there wouldn’t be an issue. The best short-term solution is to ban cyclists. I’m confident something fairer will be found eventually.

km79
    Free Member

People need to get a grip here. From the article no one is saying that black people are banned from the swimming pool, or brown people, or any colour of people. They are saying that a specific group of males from the nearby asylum shelter are banned.

None of those groups are specifically excluded. You are talking about dress codes!

They just have to dress accordingly.

You wouldn’t be allowed into the Vatican wearing speedos.

Can you honestly not see the difference.

All they are saying here is that the group of males from the nearby asylum shelter just have to behave accordingly and they will be let back in. That doesn’t mean the swimming pool hates asylum seekers. Just that there is a behavior policy for entry.

Edukator
    Free Member

Thecaptain: The pool ban is not based on race. Non-migrant members of the same ethnic/racial groups and origins as the migrants are not banned.

chewkw
    Free Member

thecaptain – Member
    Not every cyclist is a scofflaw and hooligan, …

However, the amount of cyclists playing Russian roulette with cars are plentiful. No lights, dark clothing or with soft light due to low battery etc or awareness of drivers/cars … we are lucky we do not see them under the car tires everyday.

The number of cyclists in the toon … crikey … no one scores full 10 points yet … which means car drivers must be very aware of cyclists around them.

km79
    Free Member

Not every cyclist is a scofflaw and hooligan, if cyclists didn’t ride in groups there wouldn’t be an issue. The best short-term solution is to ban cyclists. I’m confident something fairer will be found eventually.

More like if there was a particular nearby cycling club who’s members kept harassing all the other cyclists from all the other different clubs when they all got together. As a short term solution, that cycling club was banned from future get togethers until some official explained to their members what the rules and code of conduct of meeting up was.

Edukator
    Free Member

Cyclists are banned from riding in large groups in France, thecaptain. A group beyond a certain size (from memory 20 riders) is considered a danger to itself and other road users. A local club has been reminded of the fact by the local police and now splits its ride into groupettos.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are saying that a specific group of males from the nearby asylum shelter are banned.

Non-migrant members of the same ethnic/racial groups and origins as the migrants are not banned.

So we pick a people from a country and we ban them and then we need to explain to some of you why its racist.

This place 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Although migrants are banned from that pool if one migrant turned up they would have no trouble getting in.

Nice guesswork.

I’ve not read anything to suggest that’s correct. Have you ?

All they are saying here is that the group of males from the nearby asylum shelter just have to behave accordingly and they will be let back in. That doesn’t mean the swimming pool hates asylum seekers. Just that there is a behavior policy for entry.

No. There is a “no immigrants” policy for entry.

A behaviour policy would allow entry for everyone regardless of where they were from.

That’s not what they currently have.

Edukator
    Free Member

Nationality is not the same as race, Junkyard. If I discriminate against you because you’re English in France it’s not considered racist. It’s xenophobic and nationalist but does not carry the same penalty as if I insulted you because of your skin colour irrespective of where you come from.

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    So we pick a people from a country and we ban them and then we need to explain to some of you why its racist.

This place

Yes. If they are causing trouble regardless of who they are.

You can debate about race issue later on but in the meantime ban!

What’s the big deal?

DrJ

Well, you could say that ALL of the refugees have lived their lives in a culture with values that we do not want to import into our society, and that the onus is on them to demonstrate that they can assimilate.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s pretty amazing the contortions to which some posters will go to either pretend that this is not a racist policy, or that it is justified despite being racist. It is obviously and blatantly contrary to both CERD and EU law (which I assume are enshrined in German law, though I don’t know the details of that).

Edukator
    Free Member

Where do you live, Neal? I’m not trying to stalk, just intrigued as to which part of the planet you can live on and think that a group of misogynistic, aggressive, insulting males should not be banned from a swimming pool until measures can be taken to make sure female swimmers won’t be harassed.

Edit: I’m a regular swimmer, I’ve swum three times this week which is typical. I swim and have swum in pools with a typically French demographic for over a quarter of a century. I know which groups cause trouble, the life guards know the groups who cause trouble, the CRS who get sent know which groups cause trouble, the women know which groups cause trouble. Solutions have been found and without any ban base on race, creed coulour or whatever peace know reigns. In fact there are no bans at all apart from surf shorts, just a lot of video cameras.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Edukator, your comments above regarding race vs nationality are wrong. End of story. The law is not what you think it is.

For your education:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Convention_on_the_Elimination_of_All_Forms_of_Racial_Discrimination#Definition_of_.22racial_discrimination.22

Article 1 of the Convention defines “racial discrimination” as:

…any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life…

Note how “race” is defined here in a broad but reasonable way so as to avoid the typically pedantic nitpickings of people such as yourself.

chewkw
    Free Member

thecaptain – Member

It’s pretty amazing the contortions to which some posters will go to either pretend that this is not a racist policy, or that it is justified despite being racist. It is obviously and blatantly contrary to both CERD and EU law (which I assume are enshrined in German law, though I don’t know the details of that).

Very simple. If the society does not like particular people why still go there?

edit: Saudi Arabia? Anyone? Care to explain to them?

gobuchul
    Free Member

So what would be the correct way to deal with this problem?

For the hand wringers on here, do you honestly believe, that the mass uncontrolled migration of thousands of young men, from a culture that teaches completely different things about the status and role of women, particularly what sort of woman would attend a mixed swimming pool, that there isn’t going to be any problems?

DrJ

Article 1 of the Convention defines “racial discrimination” as:

…any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life…

How does that apply to immigration policy? Is it “racial discrimination” to restrict immigration from certain countries?

thecaptain
    Free Member

The correct way is to ban and/or otherwise punish the offenders, and a bit of public education might help too. Isn’t this blindingly obvious?

Edukator
    Free Member

I should have said “insulted” in both parts, the captain.

thecaptain
    Free Member

DrJ, there is no right to enter or live in a country of your choice, so there is no breach of CERD in applying a nationality condition to restrict this.

chewkw
    Free Member

thecaptain – Member
    The correct way is to ban and/or otherwise punish the offenders, and a bit of public education might help too. Isn’t this blindingly obvious?

The correct way is Not even starting the Merkel stooopid open door welcome policy.

Too late … they are screwed!

Edukator
    Free Member

And if there if discrimination based on nationality is illegal I can take a few banks to court. Thank you HSBC for not discriminating on the basis of nationality.

Or the French/British governments, because they both apply fixed radar fines to their own nationals but not those from the other country. Or… there are so many institutionalised examples of discrimation based on country of origin even within the EU. You’ll pay 50 cents more than me to get in my local swimming pool BTW.

km79
    Free Member

Which is what they have done/are doing.

ninfan
    Free Member

Maybe the Germans have a more proportionate and realistic view of the type of discrimination that the CERD was designed to avoid.

There may be a historic reason why they are able retain a sense of proportion about what ‘discrimination’ amounts to

Junkyard
    Free Member

If I discriminate against you because you’re English in France it’s not considered racist. It’s xenophobic and nationalist but does not carry the same penalty as if I insulted you because of your skin colour irrespective of where you come from

Then they are wrong – if this is true- as has been shown by another poster. .
    FWIW I am not english.

I hate all french people they are all worthless scum
    I dont employ anyone Irish
    Do i really need to explain why these are racist? Honestly?

gobuchul
    Free Member

a bit of public education might help too.

So you tell them that their fathers, Imans and teachers who have taught them women are inferior to men, that if a women cannot dress modestly and causes lustful feelings in men, they get what they deserve, are wrong and that’s not quite how we do it in 21st Century Europe?

That will work. 🙄

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Gotta say after the way a bunch of Immigrants leered and commented about my wife, with me present (10 against me) I’d cheerfully boil the scum in acid.

If your of fighting age with no family to protect why aren’t you home trying to fight for your country?

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    Then they are wrong – if this is true- as has been shown by another poster. .

FWIW I am not english.

You’re not? Really? So what are you? Be brave. 😆

Everyone knows who I am now your turn.

I hate all french people they are all worthless scum
    I dont employ anyone Irish
    Do i really need to explain why these are racist? Honestly?

Crikey … are those your true feelings?

Explain yourself.

Ming the Merciless – Member
    If your of fighting age with no family to protect why aren’t you home trying to fight for your country?

That’s exactly my sentiment …

Edukator
    Free Member

Yes, you do Junkyard. Especially to communities who suffer and get shot at because of the colour of their skin. If I report you to the Gendarmes for calling me “worthless French scum” on TV they’ll tell me it’s insult, and they’re not interested. If you were black and called me “worthless white scum” on TV, they’d take my complaint very seriously (I hope).

Replace the word “French” with “black/white/jewish/arab” and it becomes racist. As it is it’s just nationalist.

nealglover
    Free Member

Where do you live, Neal? I’m not trying to stalk, just intrigued as to which part of the planet you can live on and think that a group of misogynistic, aggressive, insulting males should not be banned from a swimming pool until measures can be taken to make sure female swimmers won’t be harassed.

Where I live is irrelevant, I’ve lived in few places around Europe over the last 25 years though.

And the rest of your question is disingenuous, I’m not saying that “misogynistic, aggressive, insulting males” shouldn’t be banned. (As I’m sure you are aware)

I’m saying that a blanket ban on an entire group based on their ethnicity is wrong.

And I’m honestly astounded that I’ll probably have to defend that idea against someone who thinks that I’m wrong.

Ffs its 2016 not 1930 🙄

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’m saying that a blanket ban on an entire group based on their ethnicity is wrong.

It’s not actually their ethnicity that is banned but their residency status. As all Germans have ID cards this something that is easily checked.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not based on their ethnicity. Ethnic Syrians, Turks, Moroccans, Algerians, Afghans etc. who don’t belong to migrant groups are not banned.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 276 total)

The topic ‘'Migrant men banned from German swimming pool'’ is closed to new replies.