Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Grass Track Racing
  • Surfr
    Free Member

Anyone ever done it? I’ll hold my hand up and admit I’d never even heard about it until 5 minutes ago after reading up on Victoria Pendleton’s cycling career.
    Is it accessible? I’m guessing you need a prepared track? there’s probably less of them than velodromes in the UK surely?

Nichetastic cyclofixiecross!

sharki
    Free Member

I used to do the car version, and that was not on very prepared grass, in fact it was very common to have large stones fly up off the car in front and bounce off the screen protector.

nukeproof
    Free Member

I’ll hold my hand up and admit I’d never even heard about it

Me neither but looks good fun.

Wonder if its just a Summer thing when the ground is dry and hard? If the ground was soft/wet, all those bikes would trash the grass and I’m guessing that the local cricket/athletics club ain’t going to be too chuffed if that was the case.

weaty
    Free Member

The only place I have watched this is at the heckington show in august.
    There are lots of races there on the saturday.
    It is on a banked track, I have only seen it wet once and it was a mess.

Over the years I have seen some top riders there .

twohats
    Free Member

Roundhay park in Leeds has races around the edge of the arena a few times a year.

will
    Free Member

Thought this was on about the car version, then notiec the pictures 😆

Never herd of this either 🙄

JustRide
    Free Member

The pics are from Richmond cricket club, North Yorkshire. They have had races around the cricket pitch for ages. Its kind of track racing meets the outdoors sort of thing. Only done in the summer when the ground is hard, but is really funny when it rains!!

Surfr
    Free Member

I can see it being a great summer spectacle. Take the family and a picnic and watch track racing in the sun. Add a beer tent and you have a perfect barmy British summer activity for all the family.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t see the point myself – there are probably more outdoor tarmac velodromes about. And racing on grass would seem like murder to me. It’s bad enough at SITS!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Grass Track Racing’ is closed to new replies.