Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • GPS with carto for hiking – Mac users stuffed?
  • DrJ

I’d like to get a GPS receiver with cartography for Switzerland for use on simple hikes. I was looking at the Garmin ones, but IIUC, they need to be “managed” using a PeeCee-only application called MapSource.

Is that correct?

Any alternatives, short of installing Windows on my Mac?

Hmmph 🙁

epicyclo

Same problem here.

Bought a SatMap on the basis they were going to do something for the Mac soon. One year later… 🙁

Going to eBay it and wait for new iPhone.

Jamie
    Free Member

Its a pain in the balls, but bootcamp or VMWare is probably the only way to do it. Garmin have about as much commitment to Macs as Bill Gates does.

Quite astonishing really given they must be driving customers away. Which was certainly the case in the year they kept promising, and then delaying, OSX compatible software for their ANT stick receiver that came with their HRMs. Despite advertising it as Mac compatible amusingly enough.

Nico
    Free Member

Have a look at these. Garmin maps are pretty rubbish. You’ll have to check to see if you can use Swiss maps though.

BadlyWiredDog

Satmap has just started doing European mapping for the Active 10, including Swisstopo maps at 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 scale. More countries in the pipeline, apparently. Mac support still not there, but you can use the GPS as a stand-alone unit, so it’s not the end of the world, though frustrating.

druidh
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Its a pain in the balls, but bootcamp or VMWare is probably the only way to do it. Garmin have about as much commitment to Macs as Bill Gates does.

Quite astonishing really given they must be driving customers away.

Software supplier in “only committed to support 95% of possible users” shocker. 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

druidh
    Software supplier in “only committed to support 95% of possible users” shocker.

STW member in missing the point shocker.

The point was they had advertised the product as mac compatible, and yet took over a year to bring that advertised compatibility to the market.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Software supplier in “only committed to support 95% of possible users” shocker.

What that statement fails to acknowledge, is the proportion of ‘home’ users who use Macs, which is a lot higher. That 95% includes all computers, vast numbers of which are used in professional environments, and are chosen for their cheapness, over userability.

So, seeing that there is probbly a much greater proportion of individual home users, using Macs, than 5%, Garmin are doing themselves out of potential customers.

A quick think of 20 friends of mine, and the PC/Mac split is 50/50%. Alot more people use Macs at home, than in business. Map software is aimed at individual users, for recreation mainly, rather than big business.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘GPS with carto for hiking – Mac users stuffed?’ is closed to new replies.