Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 247 total)
  • Got bitten by a dog this morning…..
  • HarryTuttle

Generally I’m happy to let and let live but this morning I was fuming and hated dog walkers.

I’ve calmed down a bit now and can post without ranDom capitales speeling mistakes etc (sorry if that’s letting the side down).

At about 9.30 I was returning home from a nice ride on the downs along a byway in a local wood (Abbots wood in Sussex for those who know the area) when I met a walker with 3 dogs, one on a lead and 2 off. I passed him and one of the dogs started yapping, so I stopped, the dog then bit my ankle drawing blood. I was fuming and asked, well demanded, that he give me his detales so I could report him. His response? To call me a liar because his dog doesn’t bite! The fact he saw the dog do it and there’s blood on my leg seams to have bypassed his brain!

I tried to grab the dog to read the collar tag but he then lunged for me and I though it was going to be fisticuffs but he though better, turned and ran away into the trees calling for the dogs to follow him!

I’m not a violent person so rather than chase him down and then what? I rode to the car park, cleaned up the bite and had a snack while waiting to see if he turned up, he didn’t so I road home fuming…..

This is what it looked like when the worst was cleaned up:

It’s not excactly the worst injury I’ve ever had but it’s left me more angry then most, especially because of the guys reaction.

So: Who should this sort of thing be reported to? The police?

Will they do anything?

For what it’s worth, and so the locals are warned:

He’s white male, 30 ish, short brown hair, wearing denim jeans and a dark blue top. The dogs were a white and brown spaniel, and black spaniel (the biter) and another light coloured dog.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about the injury. A bit of a lesson there… I NEVER stop when dogs are around. I speed up! I have actually run into a dog on my bike. It was a German Shepherd so, now you know even a big dog will bounce off a fast moving mountain bike! I got chased by a yappy little beast the other day and started goading the little bleeder on as I sprinted off up a trail, just keeping him about a wheel-diameter behind me. My thoughts were: “thanks for letting your little bundle of teeth loose on a public bridleway, now let’s see how far into the woods I can get him to go!”

HarryTuttle

Oh dear, All that calming down and I still muck up the photo.

Here it is:

kaesae
    Free Member

The size of the bite doesn’t matter, dogs carry all sorts of shit in their saliva, report the owner and the dogs to the rozzers, it could be a flashers knackers next time 😯

HarryTuttle

Flashers knackers?

I thought it was “Child’s face”.

Fair point though, I’ll report it but will they take it seriously? After all, today’s incident wasn’t that serious but next time it could be a……

petergriffin
    Free Member

Hazardous past-time riding bikes, i just got stung by a bee, …twenty quid for a jar of honey….

Edit.. you will need a tetanus if you are not up to date, local A&E or minor injuries place should be able to do it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

just keeping him about a wheel-diameter behind me.

couldn’t you have then braked sharply?

Stoner
    Free Member

Flashers knackers?

I thought it was “Child’s face”.

go for a twofer?

trailflow
    Free Member

so I stopped

then its your own fault, dogs bite, get over it

Frankers
    Free Member

I would be mortified if my dog bit anyone, I would have stopped and grovelled/apologised !!

Again like the road cyclist thread some people have no manners full stop…

Dog walker, road cyclist, mountain biker…. plenty of knobs either way

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The size of the bite doesn’t matter, dogs carry all sorts of shit in their saliva,

^^^ Best bit of advice on here.

Report it if you feel the need but whatever else you do get yourself to the local NHS walk-in centre and get it properly cleaned and get any shots that they recommend.

Mrs mw sees a couple of dog bites a week as part of her work and almost without exception the worst aspect of them is the infection rather than the initial injury.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you have a wart and you see a dog on the trail, stop and get the dog to lick it – the wart will shrivel up and go.

beanieripper
    Free Member

you should have bitten the owner and said “people bite mate, get over it”..

jonnyrockymountain

I think all people with dogs should stand up and be counted?
    There are too many people out there with dogs that ?(or owners)
    A) think that everybody likes dogs?
    B) think that there dog won’t bite anyone (coss there great with kids?)
    C) think that it’s good to run along side/ after either bikers or runners or walkers?
    D) All dogs should be kept on leads all the time with owners realising that all others around them don’t like or love someone else’s dog.
    E) ps yes i’am a dog owner myself but get really annoyed by other dog owners and there attitude?????????

TooTall
    Free Member

Should have reported it at the time. Should report it as soon as you can.

soulwood
    Free Member

I know what I would have done, Crocodile Dundee knife and gut the thing in front of him. Then say “I never do that”

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Contact the Dog Warden, give descriptions, the local DW (if its Eastbourne) is pretty keen on this sort of thing. Also dog clearly not under control and injury to person falls in realm of Dangerous Dogs Act.

bongo136
    Free Member

I had a spaniel jump out of hedge a chase me the other day,luckily it was downhill on a bridleway…. He had no chance 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jonny rocky mountain – Member

D) All dogs should be kept on leads all the time with owners realising that all others around them don’t like or love someone else’s dog.

all dogs should be kept under control at all times – if you need a lead to do this then fine – but if you have trained your dog properly and can control it without then thats fine as well.

Its under control that is the key thing

allthepies
    Free Member

lol @ the fella running away.

Dog Walkers are creatures of habit, chances are he’ll be back at the same location at the same time in a couple of weeks. But what you’d actually be able to do about it is a different matter.

xiphon
    Free Member

I would have booted the dog into oblivion.

Then it would associate getting kicked very hard with biting legs.

binners

VanHalen

dog walkers refuse to admit their dog has bitten you. it may have its jaws around your ankle with teeth to the bone but ‘its just playing’

some dog owners are just stupid. others are nice. bit like bike riders really.

I would have booted the dog into oblivion.

this is actually quite difficult as they move pretty quick.

rocketman
    Free Member

don’t get me started on dogs

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

go on rocketman – you will get all the dog owners frothing at the mouth

rocketman
    Free Member

must resist…must resist…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

go on go on go on

rocketman
    Free Member

🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I would have just choked the owner out, suplexed him, then done a tombstone on the offending black spaniel.

No doubt the other two hounds would try to defend their owner’s honour, but I would be ready with a fold up chair, whacking the light coloured dog whilst ready with a half nelson for the brown spaniel.

The owner would be in a daze at this point, giving me enough time for a drop kick to the back, leading into a Boston crab.

That would teach them.

binners

I won’t resist. I’ll say it for you. All dogs should be shot. Its that simple, really. They’re a bloody menace. Just four-legged shitting machines, with varying proclivity to random acts of violence. And all that guff about being intelligent animals. What? They’re thick as pig-shit.

Was that what you were going to say?

toys19
    Free Member

binners +1

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They’re thick as pig-shit.

Indeed. When did you last see one reading the Guardian.

binners

No appreciation of classical music, or contemporary dance, or anything TJ. They’re a lost cause.

*sips latte and returns to stroking Bond-villain-esque flufy white pussy cat*

momo

Get yourself to the NHS walk-in-centre and report to the police, they do take dog bites seriously. My housemate was bitten last week while at work (he’s a courier) now has quite a nasty infection in the wound, facing the prospect of having to have the infected tissue surgically removed now.

neninja
    Free Member

binners +2

I’ve owned a dog but have come to a similar conclusion.

And yes I have had stitches following a dog bite – it might be the STW joke but I really was bitten in the face as a child – 20 stitches in my cheek – missed my eye by 10mm (not my own dog I might add).

Apart from true working dogs the rest are pointless. Plus, it seems the lower the IQ of the owner, the more likely they will purchase a bull terrier, rotweiller etc. Not a good combination.

veedubba

Have I been suckered in by Trailflow’s trolling?

How does one control a dog that’s not on a lead when it decides to do what it like TJ? They might be thick but they still have enough free will to be dangerous.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

vedubba – you train it to obey. If you can’t then you put it on a lead. I have seen dogs that never went on a lead because they didn’t need to. It wouldn’t step off a kerb without permission, it would never go to someone, it would ignore other dogs and bikes. It would drop instantly if told to by its owner and would come to heel instantly.

dans160
    Free Member

99.9% of dogs are fine. It’s the idiots they live with that cause the issues. For the remaining 0.1% they’re just born a wrongun. Unfortunately it’s often hard to tell until it’s too late. A bit like people I guess.

FWIW the only dogs that I put my bike between them and I if I encounter them whislt out riding are spaniels and scotty dogs. I’ve been bitten by one of the latter twice.

Now, cats on the other hand. I’ve had three and have loved each of them dearly but without exception each of the fury maniacs has at some point, and quite often more than once, turned round to it’s loving owner and engaged in a pretty serious mauling.

Report it if you feel the need but get down to A&E for a jab.

richc
    Free Member

TJ, as is always said on these threads Dogs (like people) are never 100% in control they aren’t machines.

If you actually talk to any dog owner (even the ones who you seem to think are 100% in control) and ask him or her if they think that their dog is 100% in control at all times and they will confirm this is the case.

The issue is what they do when they are out of control. Mine raids picnics, if he bit anyone then he would/should be more worried about my reaction than the person he bit.

Get yourself down to the NHS BTW for a tetanus jab, as its better safe than sorry.

mrben100
    Free Member

I’ve heard that sometimes people turn out to be psychopaths/muderers/news of the world editors etc…. and yet people keep having children. 🙄

(apologies for having no real bearing on the OP)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 247 total)

The topic ‘Got bitten by a dog this morning…..’ is closed to new replies.