Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Got a couple of weeks Off , Overnight Mtb Idea's please.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I have a couple of weeks off at the beginning of June and the kids are still at school so I’m going to try and get a couple of days away with the bike and my tent. I have a few ideas but would welcome anymore and I’m based In east lothian but would obviously travel. So here goes.
    Head down to the Borders and try and do a decent sized Cheviot ride followed by camping near Kielder and have a wee look around the Kielder area and trail centre.
    Alternatively Train up to Fort william and do either the Great Glen Way or Spean bridge to Fort AUgustus and over the Corryarick To Laggan. Or head up to Aviemore by car and explore Lairig Gruh and the surrounding trails.

As I said I’ve not even looked into the Lakes side yet so any ideas would be a great help. I’m presuming the rides above would only need a hardtail 29 er as opposed to my full suss Canyon.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for all your ideas folks , I may have to spend the next few days looking through the options. 😀

leythervegas
    Free Member

Keswick. Whinlatter 2 mins away, borrowdale bash and great pubs and restaurants. We go for a couple of nights every year and can’t recommend it enough, beautiful place.

charliemort

Do a search on Lakeland 200 – 200 kn loop of the lakes. In theory in 24 hours…….

MussEd
    Free Member

What about The Capital Trail route?- 250kmish route from Edinburgh, down through East Lothian, over the Lammermuirs to Lauder, Melrose, Tweed Valley then over to Pentlands via the Meldons and back to Edinburgh…A LOT of climbing but a real challenge.. Theres an organised event in June but you see the route HERE and ride it whenever suits you…

bri-72

A nice 2 day loop with overnighter – you talking of bikepacking?

How about through glenfeshie then glen tilt to Blair atholl. Over nighter thereabouts then back via gaick or mini gaig. Nice remote stuff in places but not too techy or too much gradient. HT perfect.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks , possibly not bike packing just maybe looking for a couple of decent sized natural rides seperated by a some outdoor wine drinking in a campsite. 😀
    I think the tour of Ben Nevis one day and possibly a Aviemore Xc ride could be on the agenda. But keep the ideas coming .

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We stayed at a really nice little campsite at Grizedale in the lakes and had three great days riding straight out of the campsite. Good pub a short walk away too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go to Kielder, worst midgies in the world.

scotroutes

I will have days off at that time so if you are in the Aviemore area and want some bimbling company give me a shout.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks Steven and Colin I’ll bear both in mind. 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you look on my strava from easter last year you’ll see the routes we did. Go back a bit further and you’ll see our long weekend in Aviemore.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Got a couple of weeks Off , Overnight Mtb Idea's please.’ is closed to new replies.