Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gorillapod as a handlebar camera mount?
  • JoeNation
    Free Member

I just bought a new camera and I got one of too. The Gorillapod wraps quite neatly around by bars and stem, but I was wondering if anyone had used one to take video of a ride. It doesn’t hold the camera very solidly, so any bump in the road will cause a lot of vibration. Also, I’m slightly worried it’s not secure enough and I don’t want my brand new expensive camera going smashy-smashy. Are there any dedicated bar mounts for cameras?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I would even consider it. It’ll bounce around and fall off

STATO
    Free Member

dont do it, they just arnt strong enough.

finbar
    Free Member

tried. failed.

IWH
    Free Member

I tried the ‘pod route and it’s ok on perfectly smooth roads but for anything else you can forget about it.

I ended up making my own using a tripod mounting plate, zip ties (of course!), a strong velcro strap and some dense foam padding. Cost about £5 so much cheaper than a dedicated mount and can be fastened to a helmet as well.

If you’re interested in a bit of Blue Peter DIY I’ll put up a pic with some instructions. Took about 15 minutes to make and now securely holds a very expensive video camera to the bike with no worries over security.

Stoner
    Free Member

you could probably make your own quite easily with a bit of old inner tube, some wood/plastic, zipties and an M5 bolt to screw into the bottom of the camera.

DezB
    Free Member

Just hold it in your hand.
    See, perfect!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I thought you were going to fall off there!

Lummox

old light bracket

long m5 bolt

2 x m5 wingnuts

2 x rubber tap washers

2 x penney washers

assembled in this order – bolt through clamp with hex head on the bottom, rubber washer- penny washer- wingnut tightening down – wingnut tightening up – penny washer – rubber washer- camera

Works, not the prettiest, but it works

BigDummy
    Free Member

All this to take blurry video of not terribly interesting rides on paths which look much smoother than they feel.

😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

in my experience there is little point as an un damped mount will just produce very poor results. i’ve had mild success using a minipod attached to the frame or forks. only works for short clips really as the footage is so jerky. if the camera is VERY firmly attached to the bike or bars then it will be more succesfull

muddy_fox
    Free Member

I made one myself using Lummox’s method and it worked ok (clicky for example) but as mrmichaelwright says if you are riding big n hard then it really is far too jerky as per my other example

JoeNation
    Free Member

Thought so, thanks guys. TBH I’m just excited about my new camera, chances of me actually taping a ride are slim, but at least I know not to bother with the Gorilla 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gorillapod as a handlebar camera mount?’ is closed to new replies.