Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • gore-tex jacket owners.. any good..?
  • matt_outandabout

I think you are over egging the difference in membranes. Fabrics vary really only in durability and drape.

Go for a good brand, that fits well and is cut nicely, and in a colour you like, that is reasonably light and forget what fabric it is made of.

The difference between, say eVent and (cheap) Entrant DT is minimal, especially when you can open a zip or vent or undo cuffs and allow airflow. NOTHING keeps up with you on a sweaty day. A colleague and I were swapping back and forth identical jackets in eVent and Entrant the other day on a walk and both agreed there was nothing really in it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Active Gore-tex hits the market…”

I would agree with the above comment that there isnt much between them and waiting for the latest NEW product just shows that you are falling in to the hands of the marketing people.

I’ve got GoreTex jackets from 15 years ago that dont feel any different to the Paclite one its all marketing to get you to buy stuff more frequently or make you think you need some thing different.

BadlyWiredDog

I think you are over egging the difference in membranes. Fabrics vary really only in durability and drape.

I’d say there are quite significant differences, but there you go, opinions vary. I guess you’ve used pretty much everything on the market? But what the heck, it’s just a jacket after all.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

TBH for *active* stuff like energetic MTB I have given up trying to stay dry (in Scotland). I’ve had Gill eVent and Berghaus Goretex but I’m sweaty when working hard, and condensation or the rain (or both) has always got through in the end. So nowadays I focus on breathability and windproof and don’t worry about waterproof so much.

I do natural day rides in the hills as well as TCs and regard getting wet as different from getting cold. I don’t really bivvy/camp though so, even if I’m out for 8 hours, there’s always the prospect of dry clothes at the end of the ride. I also *always* take extra layers, emergency kit and spaceblanket just in case I get stranded, when hypothermia might be more of an issue.

So for me – a decent light/medium weight windproof and breathable top layer, merino mid and base and forget keeping dry

7hz
    Free Member

I totally agree with Nainosliw

Wet and hot sucks.
    Wet and cold can damage your health.
    Wet and an OK temperature with merino is ok.

I wear a Gore windstopper jacket and a merino long sleeve base layer, and that keeps me right come rain or minus temps, for hours or even a day ride, as long as the stops aren’t too long and there is warmth (car, house) at the end of it all. The jacket has zip off arms so I can use it as a gilet when needed. Have fallen onto tarmac on it, no rips. Have worn heavy backpacks with it, no wear. 3 years old now with a fair amount of use, and looks like new.

If I was camping at the end of the day, I’d be thinking of trying to keep dry more, probably by using a waterproof and slowing down, but I don’t have experience of that yet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had my Gore Alp X about five years now and think it’s great. Was about a hundred quid back then but it’s been money well spent I reckon. I think it’s Paclite but feels quite hard wearing, much more so than my windstopper gillet. I use the nikwax stuff on it and it still looks good. Seems pretty hard wearing and it’s survived many rides and a few falls. Doesn’t feel like it’s likely to tear easily. If it’s warm then it can get a bit sweaty but get the layering right it’s not a problem. Good pit zips and a full length front zip help with that too. Nice that it’s got a proper zip with a flap over it too and not one of those fiddly water tight zips.

budgierider67

+1 for eVent fabric. I find it more breatheable than Gortex although as with any fabric when you start generating more heat than it can remove you will get sweaty.

Has anybody tried the Buffalo single layer approach to outdoor wear for cycling? I know a lot of climbers and hill walkers that swear by it.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

@ budgie – can’t speak personaly about Buffalo but a m8 says it is too hot most of the time.

druidh
    Free Member

Buffalo would be too warm 99% of the time. I used it a couple of days commuting when we had really freezing temperatures and all that snow and even then I had to have all the vents open.

yunki
    Free Member

thread resurrection time..

I’ve weighed up the advice on this thread.. ignored virtually all of it.. and bought a very heavily discounted Nike ACG minima paclite..

It’s very lightweight.. the fabric does look a touch fragile.. but it has 12″ pit zips.. it’s beautifully tailored.. hangs well and looks goood and is comfy as a cuddle from Greg Wallace.. and I got it for £100 less than RRP

It’s got to be a gazillion times cooler running than my previous Columbia jacket and at least a bazillion times more breathable than my karrimor rain mac..

just got to wait for my leg to get better and some foul weather and I’ll be laughing..

boblo
    Free Member

yunki – Member

just got to wait for my leg to get better and some foul weather and I’ll be laughing

Why? Are those pit zips specifically for tickling access? 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

I love my ME morpheus, but i only wear it for riding if it’s belting down before i start. I’m thinking of stopping wearing it because replace it would cost be £150 odd and i’m not going to spend that on am jacket. Warranty replacement for a £70 Paclite that leaked from new 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘gore-tex jacket owners.. any good..?’ is closed to new replies.