Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Good trails near Hexham? Looking for recommendations.
  • hexhamstu
    Free Member

Back home visiting the rents and was after some good recommendations of some trails. I usually just mess around in dukes wood, but it’s a blood quagmire. Anything around 10-15miles loops would be good, Thanks!

kevj
    Free Member

Head up to Slaley woods and over the moors to Pennypipe house. Some good singletrack around that way.

That said, I’m over in Teesdale atm and it is absolutely hammering it down. Think its going to be muddy for a few days.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Whats hamsterly cross country stuff like in the wet? I’ve only ridden the downhill tracks, and they are super fun in the wet, but you don’t have to pedal up a hill while slipping sideways.

kevj
    Free Member

Have you done Transmission, Accelerator and Nitrous yet? All very good fun and are hard pack trails with the odd rock section. Should be good even in wet conditions and they will be quieter than usual.

The natural stuff is more muddy generally but once your out you’re out!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hey Stu, you missed the local’s wednesday evening ride yesterday (so did I actually) along through Dukes to Dilston and along the river to Riding Mill, back over Prospect Hill and down through Snokoehill plantation.

You around for long? I might be out tomorrow night if its not too filthy, but then I’m away for a while.

Top route is up through High Wood, up Allendale Road to West Nubbock, then along the cheeky trail down Dipton Gorge, all the way to Dipton Mill. Quick pint, then up the hill and either along for a lap or 2 of Dukes, or straight down through Gallowsbank wood around the quarry back to town.

John at the Bike Shop usually sort-of organises a Sunday morning ride. Check out Hexham Bike Shop on Farcebook. Or go and have a word with him.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I spoke to john today about the rides on a sunday so will definitely be attending one at some point! How are these wednesday evening rides organised? Any facebook group type affairs?

Think I’ll head up to hamsterly and try out Transmission, Accelerator and Nitrous, looks like they’ll be decent enough in the wet.

Cheers for the help!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Did the read route round hamsterley today, seems to be alot of fire road for no real reason. But Transmission-Accelerator-Nitrous were awesome, as was a black section I did but didn’t not the name. Think I’ll plan a different route round there next time that skips all the pointless fire roading. It seems stupid as there are loads of great bits of trail to do. The red route just seems to head off in the wrong direction!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Allendale? Brightening up and there’s about five BWs heading out from allendale.

righog
    Free Member

Thrunton is good in the wet, and Great in the Dry. But you would probably need a local to show you the good stuff unless you had a lot of time.

I would have been happy to show you round but away at the minute.

paul4stones

Thrunton? Hardly ‘near Hexham’ !

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Not all that much further than hamsterley I suppose and I rode there today.

righog
    Free Member

Not all that much further than hamsterley I suppose and I rode there today.

That’s why I suggested it.

Takes me about the same time time to get to either Hamsterley or Thrunton from Gateshead ( about and hour).

But fair enough Paul4, it is further to Thrunton ( had to google it though, could have sworn it was closer, but i guess it’s because I go North for both Thrunton and Hexham)

But most compelling reason for suggesting it was I had a great ride there a few days ago, and it was kinda fresh in the Memory. 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Stu,

were you in the shop yesterday lunchtime? I was, talking about the Trans Cambrian and dribbling over the Karate Monkey…

How are these wednesday evening rides organised?

A weekly series of emails usually between half a dozen of us. Kickoff is usually 8pm from the top of Back Street by the Natwest.
    As I said, I’m away for the next couple of weeks, if you’re interested though, email the addy in my profile and I’ll pass on your details to the rest of the crowsd. Hunt down “Pukekoe” and “I_did_dab” and from here.

ahsat

Has any Durham/Northumberland folk actually got out this weekend? Cant believe it is still raining! I pottled around the house yesterday and popped to Corbridge in the hope of riding today, and now its still raining! Chopwell on Wednesday was really slipping so after another 4 days of rain, the trails are going to be a mess.

snax

I rode up at kilder yesterday, it was wet… but can’t complain, as I was out peddling! Was planning on riding again today, but the van wouldn’t start, so I’ve been out in the yard fixing and building bikes… Van still won’t start through… 🙁

I’m looking for folks to ride with as I’m new to the area… (Newcastle based) so any rides going where you don’t mind new folks… be great to tag along…

paul4stones

Thrunton is getting on for an hour really. An hour radius could include kielder, newcastleton, almost the lakes in fact 🙂

From the OPs comments about Dukes Wood I thought he was after more doorstep rides.

Edit: I really should go to Thrunton again though 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

Allenheads up and over the common and back, plenty of routes around that way. Lots of routes around Alwinton. Derek Purdy’s book is great for a mixture of trails around Northumberland and Durham.

Gorehound
    Free Member

The bolts law killer loop is a canny ride.

righog
    Free Member

Snax, We Ride every Thurday night starting 19:30 from the Main car park in Chopwell Woods. Informally know as the Chopwell Tumblers, I will not be there for a few weeks, but If you want you could just turn up and tag along, it’s pretty informal. You would need lights. ( ages from about 26 to 45, with a mix of fitness levels, but it is fast at the front) Send me an E mail if you are interested.

or you could check out these people.

http://www.beamishoddsox.co.uk/

who are much better organised than the Tumblers.

snax

Thanks, Thursday’s I’m a bit tight on at the moment, as I tend to work until 7ish… but will try and get along at some point… Cheers…

jamess
    Free Member

Hexham stu have you done the Edmundbyers Blanchland loop? – some fab moors trailriding. Often good surfaces in the wet aswell.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Good trails near Hexham? Looking for recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.