Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • going to service my hope m4's (shopping list help)
  • sefton
    Free Member

OK I’m going to stripe and service my Tech M4’s. I’m thinking all new seals & diaphragms, but will I need new pistons? also going to put new hose on (as old is showing wear)

levers – ?

Calipers – ?

Hoses – I believe there is a full kit? (I have braided at the mo but I’m going to change to standard – can I reuse all the connectors off the braided)?

Sundries – ?

Any links would be great

thanks in advance

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is ther actually anything wrong with them?

Seal kits include all the seals available from many places. CRC etc Why change pistons? indeed why change seals unless they are leaking

I don’t think ( but am not sure) that the hose fittings are the same

sefton
    Free Member

the front brake struggles to completely lock the wheel. I’ve re-bleed the system a few times, cleaned the discs, but I’ve always used the same diaphragm (maybe thats the problem)?

not sure I’ll need new pistons (I’m asking if pistons are something people change along with seals?)

the brakes are about 2years old now so was just thinking they’d benefit from a good service.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The diaphragm will have no effect on the braking system. Check for a sticky piston and free it off if so, set them up as in the hope vid, my guess is contaminated pads.

all you need to do is make sure all pistons are moving freely and lube themwith either red rubber grease or a bit of fluid and set them up as in the hope vid

Gribs

Have you followed the instructions on bleeding as per the Hope videos? I can’t remember off hand but without watching them there’s a step you’d probably miss.

joao3v16
    Free Member

my guess is contaminated pads

Ditto this.

Before you spend time and £’s stripping down your brakes and replacing seals etc, chuck in some new pads* & clean the rotors.

(* or, take the existing pads & use some medium/fine sandpaper to remove 0.5mm or so – this should remove any contamination, or at least enough for you to get an idea whether this is the problem or not)

sefton
    Free Member

I can’t remember off hand but without watching them there’s a step you’d probably miss.

rotating the lever down, then topping up again?

cheers guys

Gribs

That’d be the one. What pads are you using btw? I found the standard ones pretty poor in comparison to sintered.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘going to service my hope m4's (shopping list help)’ is closed to new replies.