Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Good starter SLR?
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Its probably been asked before but a quick search doesn’t show up any results…

Im just wondering what a good starter SLR would be. I basically want to spend the least amount required to get something half decent, as I fancy giving the photography thing a bash/i’m fed up with compact photos looking rubbish. I’d also be needing a lens as well obviously; i’ve heard that an 18-50mm is a good starting point?

Any recommendations?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have a Sony A200 which is more than a match for me 😉
    Lens included in the price but without getting the bag out I couldn’t tell you any more detail.
    Priced < £300

Some examples on my flickr page – http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhooper_drum/

not all photos taken with the Sony but the Canada set, White Christmas set and anything to do with The Wick Effect will be

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have a look for what’s in your price range…

You’ll be hard pushed to find a bad one.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Like John, I too have a Sony A200..

Cheap as chips, but a great starter..

IMHO.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d have thought you’ll be hard pushed to find a new a200, they’re 3 generations out of production.

The a290 or a33 would be the recent options.

vrapan
    Free Member

Go to MPB and check their D40s + if you can stretch to 350 in total get a 18-105 VR or if you want to keep it well under 300£ get an 18-70 instead. I still have the D40 albeit with slightly more expensive lenses and it takes some cracking pictures.

Also if you can find a Pentax *ist second hand they are also quite brilliant even if fairly old.

Jammy111
    Free Member

i should have said, i would be buying second hand….

mikertroid
    Free Member

Nikon D90. Suuuuuperb camera!!

5thElefant
    Free Member

i should have said, i would be buying second hand….

Be very careful. Camera performance jumps every generation in a big way, but oddly used prices don’t drop nearly as fast. Old models get heavily discounted as the new one comes in, that’s where the bargains are.

BoardinBob

I’m really liking my Nikon D3100 as an introduction to DSLR photography

damo2576
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have a Nikon D70 with 18-70mm lens in perfect condition with only 9000 shutter releases just put on ebay.
    Give me a shout if interested.

toys19
    Free Member

I have d50 brill camera get one 2nd hand ebay or LCE

Muke
    Free Member

I have a Sony A200 and a Sony A55. Many people have favorite manafacturers that they swear by, try and borrow/use as many different cameras as you can to get a feel for them all. A benefit of Sony DSLR cameras is that they have image stabilization in the camera body and there are loads of old Minolta lenses that will fit.
    For Sony/Minolta info check out Dyxum.com

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

My daughter recently bought a Canon 550D with twin kit lenses as her first DSLR and I think its excellent. She has already taken some great shots and its coming down in price now with the launch of the 600D

This was one she took Sunday and sure most of us would be pleased with it, was taken at the far end of the 55-250mm is lens which is an absolute bargain for the money

vrapan
    Free Member

MPB is second hand equipment just with a bit of peace of mind due to their 6 month warranty. If that tells you anything when I bought my D40 second hand I bought it for 200 including the kit lens. That camera still sells for the same amount today nearly 4 years after I bought it and a good 5 since it was introduced…

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus E450 deal for 300? There are benefits to going non-Canikon – mainly that everyone asks for them so they don’t get discounted much.

Raindog
    Free Member

I’d suggest finding someone close to you with a basic Nikon (D40 is an excellent choice) and a basic Canon and having a play to see which feels “right” in your hands. MPB are very good, you can buy from them in confidence. However, there are many good photographs taken on compact cameras and I’d suggest having a look on the “Talk Basics” section of the forums on talkphotography.co.uk – buying a better camera won’t make you a better photographer, knowledge and experience will 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

a basic Nikon (D40 is an excellent choice) and a basic Canon and having a play

And a Sony, Pentax and Olympus.. don’t ignore those!

If it helps I like my local Jacobs shop – if you have one it’s worth a look.

DaveRambo

What you need to do is head to a local camera shop and get a 2nd hand Nikon or Cannon.

I bought my Cannon EOS 20D a few years ago.
    Cracking camera but a few models have been released since so you’d get a second hand one very cheaply

Mag body, built very well perfect 1st camera.
    You don’t need 10 or 12MP – spend the money on a decent lens or 2.

toys19
    Free Member

buying a better camera won’t make you a better photographer, knowledge and experience will

I dunno if I agree with this, I went from a nikon collpix5100 to a nikon d50 and some of my pics on the slr are ace, and I really have no skill, the camera and lense are bloody amazing.

Jammy111
    Free Member

something like the canon 20D or a 350D seems to fit the bill with regards to cost (up to £200 ish), but i’ve really got no idea what to look for, with regards to which is better, which have good lenses etc etc

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Got any mates that could advise you?

I’m no expert, but let me have an idea of your max spend and what sort photography you are interested in and will have a look round to see what might fit the bill
    (this doesn’t imply any guarantee of the actual function of the equipment or honesty of the vendor)

Do frequent several sites where decent enough older gear comes up and probably a safer bet than the bay of e or gumtree.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Duplicate, so please ignore my stutter

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Just seen a Canon 300D with 18-55 lens for sale at 130 quid in Northumberland
    6mp and comes with charger, two batteries and memory card

Might that be of interest? email in profile if you did want me to enquire further

live2ride
    Free Member

Another one for the nikon D3100. I bought one just before christmas, fantastic. The 18-55 kit lens is fine for most situations. Once you get into it you’ll want more lenes though.

Having said that sony are the cheapest but i didn’t go with them due to a possible lack of lenes to upgrade to in the future.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Having said that sony are the cheapest but i didn’t go with them due to a possible lack of lenes to upgrade to in the future.

True, there are a few missing in the Sony range but they’re the £5k+ ones, so not much of an issue except for some pros. All the gaps are filled on the used (Minolta) market and by 3rd parties though.

So not a big worry.

grum
    Free Member

I’d second MPB – prices are good and they honour the warranty without quibbling.

I would suggest going for Canon or Nikon, just because the availability of second hand lenses is much greater than say Sony or Olympus, with Canon the most common.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/

5thElefant
    Free Member

the availability of second hand lenses is much greater than say Sony

Don’t forget Sony bought Minolta and use the Minolta alpha mount. Used Minolta lenses are excellent and readily available. And of course stabilised by the body.

I’d happily argue Sony is the best body if you plan on buying used lenses.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Am a Canon man thru and thru.

New 1100D out in week. This should give discounts on the 1000D.

Also, do go for 10MP or above. Gives you so much more to play with in the ‘digital darkroom’.

My sixpenneth…

Raindog
    Free Member

buying a better camera won’t make you a better photographer, knowledge and experience will

I dunno if I agree with this, I went from a nikon collpix5100 to a nikon d50 and some of my pics on the slr are ace, and I really have no skill, the camera and lense are bloody amazing.

I’ll expand on my original point. Buying a better camera won’t make you a better photographer in the same way that buying a better bike won’t make you a better rider – it’ll help you progress, but unless your skill develops you won’t improve. Your Coolpix 5100 was capable of great images, just search Flickr and see – you are more interested in using the D50 and it is technically better than the compact, but although it is capable of taking images which are superior, it is your skill that makes the difference. Oh, any just to be pedantic, there’s only one e in lens 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not entirely true though.

Buying better tools won’t make you a better mechanic but try stripping down a land rover armed with just a hammer.

OK, maybe not a land rover, but you get the idea… 😉

Cougar

Got any mates that could advise you?

Got any mates that could lend you lenses and gear if you buy the same format as them?

molgrips
    Free Member

just because the availability of second hand lenses is much greater than say Sony or Olympus

True but the Oly budget lenses are so good that you can just buy em new and be done with it.

It depends if you want to always be buying the new shiny thing or just want lenses to cover the common types of shooting.

Cougar

I’m in a similar boat here at the moment. I’ve borrowed a friend’s DSLR for a couple of weeks following her upgrading to a new one, she’ll then be selling it.

I’m mostly agonising over whether I want to start an expensive new hobby or not. I think if I could just buy it once and be done with it then I’d do it in a heartbeat, it’s the prosepect of lens envy that worries me. I think I’d want a nice zoom lens, panoramic lens perhaps, maybe a tripod, memory card, carry case…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m finding that all I want is a set of stuff to do what I want. Zoom, wide angle, macro covers it. Then a tripod or two maybe. It’s not an expensive hobby if you are sensible about it and remember that the hobby is TAKING pictures not buying kit. Once you have the kit, taking pictures is practically free and is a very cheap hobby indeed.

If you end up wanting better lenses to increase sharpness and whatnot you’re a mug.

Are you a mug? 🙂

grum
    Free Member

It’s not an expensive hobby if you are sensible about it and remember that the hobby is TAKING pictures not buying kit.

Don’t listen to this dangerous hippy talk!

5thElefant
    Free Member

taking pictures is practically free and is a very cheap hobby indeed

Unless you print your pictures. That can get quite expensive.

molgrips
    Free Member

Define quite expensive. It’s what, 15 quid for 20 sheets of premium photo paper and that seems to last me a loooong time. As a hobbyist, how many do you print? Personally I’ve only got so much wall space 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Photo books and canvas mostly. It’s in £hundreds a year rather than £thousands, so on the scheme of things it’s not a fortune but I guess it’s the price of a cheap week in the med.

Personally I’ve only got so much wall space

Luckily I’ve run out of space. Unluckily I’ve decided to keep printing and cycle them in and out.

I could just stop taking photos I guess.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got a s/h finepix s9500 off here, like an SLR, but withut the faff of changeing lenses and only marginal loss of image quality (mainly in lower light as it uses a smaller sensor than a new APSc sized SLR).

Auto, shutter, appeture, manual modes, video as well. Pre programed night, landscape, portrait modes.

Manual mode is easy, thumbwheel adjusts shutter, press the button next to the shutter release and scroll the same wheel to adjust appeture, ISO is in a seperate menu to the settigns to easy to find.

Only ‘issue’ is the electronic viewfinder is hard to focus with, but in manual you can click a button by the lense to auto focus it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Good starter SLR?’ is closed to new replies.