Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Good speech by David Cameron
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Well I am one Englishman here who would like Scotland to stay in the union.
    What do you other Brits think?

druidh
    Free Member

Mr Cameron said the independence issue had to be dealt with simply, saying: “We have to settle that question before then going on and asking, I think quite legitimately, is there more that we can do to improve the devolved settlement?
    “Are there powers that could be devolved, how can we make the United Kingdom work better?”

Why wait Mr Cameron? If you have some proposals, put them on the table in time for 2014 and let the Scottish public decide what they prefer?

We were promised a “better bill” in 1979 in return for a No vote. That didn’t materialise either..

chewkw
    Free Member

I thought they are supposed to be put to hard labour …? No? 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m a bit disappointed in myself to say that I’m bored of it all now. The debate needs more razzamatazz; perhaps Salmond should put Susan Boyle in a glittery St Andrews cross bikini and get that woman DANCING :D. At this rate, Scotland will get independence and anyone not Scottish will just say “Oh”.
    Shows how fickle and attention deficient the public generally are.

kimbers

it would be sad if scotland left the union

but with cameron and his cronies in charge who can blame them for wanting to leave

Junkyard
    Free Member

I sniggered as I heard him talk about how much stronger we were becaus eo fthe Union

I could not help but think ..imagine if th eunion he was talking about was European would he asy the same?
    It is interesting that many of those who are the most anti the European Union also seem to be most pro the Uk union

What I would say is they like a union where they are the most powerful and get some additionality from little members but not one where they are just another fish in the pond and often get outvoted

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Good point that.
    I sat through wondering what Welsh & N. Irish ( and channel islands etc.) were thinking.

AndyP
    Free Member

I’m all for the scotch having independence. But, I believe that if there is a referendum for them to leave, for which only scotch people are able to vote…. and is rejected; then the rest of the brits should have a referendum as to whether they can stay.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

put Susan Boyle in a glittery St Andrews cross bikini and get that woman DANCING

I wish you hadn’t written that. I’ve just eaten.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AndyP – Member

I’m all for the scotch having independence. But, I believe that if there is a referendum for them to leave, for which only scotch people are able to vote…. and is rejected; then the rest of the brits should have a referendum as to whether they can stay.

does that go for the falklands as well? 😈

AndyP
    Free Member

There should be no referendum for the Falklands, just a big fight. See other thread.

enfht
    Free Member

No comment yet from Mel Gibson

IHN

I was thinking about this on the way in this morning. We often here the Scots’ arguments for independence, which are mainly down to self-determination.

The English/Scots unionist counter-arguments are often along the lines of why Scotland couldn’t manage as an independent country – ‘how are you going to afford it, you’re in net reciept of money from Westminster’ etc. This is about how independence won’t work

Both sets of arguments are essentially about the pros/cons of independence/union on Scotland.

What we rarely here are arguments about the pros/cons of independence/union on the Union as a whole.

wrecker
    Free Member

put Susan Boyle in a glittery St Andrews cross bikini and get that woman DANCING

I wish you hadn’t written that. I’ve just eaten.

Anyone handy with photoshop? I reckon we could get him to wretch at the very least.

tobyToby
    Free Member

Isn’t half the problem about deciding who exactly gets to vote?

Rose tinted ‘Get the invaders out’ from those scots people living outside of Scotland, slightly more economic realism from those living in Scotland?

MPs are stuffed as well – All the scottish tories have had to come South to get into parliament, Labour would lose a whole bunch of westminster seats if Scotland was independant…

AndyP
    Free Member

All the scottish tories have had to come South to get into parliament, Labour would lose a whole bunch of westminster seats if Scotland was independant..

sounds like a win/win to me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tobyToby – Member

No – those living in Scotland and eligible to vote in Scotland. the only question is that its SNP policy to include 16 and 17 yr olds ( lib dem policy as well apart from for this)

wrecker
    Free Member

Come to daddy my scottish lovely.

wallace1492
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

tobyToby – Member

No – those living in Scotland and eligible to vote in Scotland. the only question is that its SNP policy to include 16 and 17 yr olds ( lib dem policy as well apart from for this)

Same as national or local election as the two are different.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Well I am one Englishman here who would like Scotland to stay in the union.
    What do you other Brits think?

I’d prefer to keep, maintain and respect the Union of Great Britain.

However, my Scotish brothers seem hell bent on spliting things up.
    I never really understood the intense hatred the Scotish have for me, an English man.

I would hope its not for historical reasons as events which occured undreds of years ago, are now beyond my control.
    😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

I could not help but think ..imagine if th eunion he was talking about was European would he asy the same?
    It is interesting that many of those who are the most anti the European Union also seem to be most pro the Uk union

Fundamentally different though, no?

AndyP
    Free Member

I would hope its not for historical reasons as events which occured undreds of years ago, are now beyond my control.
    Jealousy, pure jealousy. They long for skin which isn’t blue.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Jealousy, pure jealousy. They long for skin which isn’t blue.

AndyP
    Free Member

isn’t he an aussie?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wallace – quite clear – Those living in Scotland and eligible to vote in Scotland IE no expat votes.

Dunno what yo think the difference is apart from that? something I have missed?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Scotland should stay, if only to keep Wales company in the ‘England is not the same thing as Britain’ club.

maybe they should start a facebook group?

(there probably already is one…)

Sandwich

be shot by crossbow

Long bows as we’re English. Don’t the targets need to be close to the cathedral too?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Send a toff in a top hat to convince them to stay in the UK?

Call me Dave has never be so in favour of Unions since they ensured he would be in power for 2 terms by selecting the wrong Miliband.

IHN

I’d prefer to keep, maintain and respect the Union of Great Britain.

Why? Not stirring or trolling, it’s a genuine question. As an Englishman living in England, I’m not sure I really care what the Scots do. Not out of malice, I simply don’t understand this concept of ‘union’ that seems to be so important.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Well listen to the speech then and have another think

ooOOoo
    Free Member

And please no photoshop magic, I still feel full

wallace1492
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Wallace – quite clear – Those living in Scotland and eligible to vote in Scotland IE no expat votes.

Dunno what yo think the difference is apart from that? something I have missed?

I believe that voting in local elections and General Elections is different. For example, EU citizens who are not Commonwealth or Irish citizens cannot vote in UK Parliamentary elections but can vote in Local election, although they permanantly live here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Everytime he opens his mouth on the topic the SNP gain more members and the polls for a yes vote increase.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Why? Not stirring or trolling, it’s a genuine question. As an Englishman living in England, I’m not sure I really care what the Scots do. Not out of malice, I simply don’t understand this concept of ‘union’ that seems to be so important.

We’re in it together.
    Drawing a line on a map in order to separate a people who all speak the same language and live on the same bit of rock.
    Just seems silly.
    You can refer to yourself as English, Scottish, Welsh.
    But lets all stay mates.
    Voting to be separate isn’t very neighbourly or friendly, imo.
    Is all.
    I grew up in times when the Union felt better and more positive.
    Those spectacles may have a rose tint.
    But why so much hate from the Scotts ?.
    I’ve read comments on here and it seems that they really hate the English.
    If true. thats everyone’s loss, imo.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its nothing to do with hating the English in large part.

Its about self determination. Its about wanting governments and policies that reflect the will of the people. Its about being able to have the correct policies for the economy of the country.

tories are an irrelevant minority here and Labour are the rightwing party

druidh
    Free Member

momentum_2000 – Member

This is often said but never substantiated. I’d really like to see some examples.

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Its about self determination. Its about wanting governments and policies that reflect the will of the people. Its about being able to have the correct policies for the economy of the country.

tories are an irrelevant minority here and Labour are the rightwing party

Not looking for trouble, your rep preceeds you.

However, that post betrays what appears to me as an entrenched perspective, from which a view has been formed.

If you subconsciously accepted that you were part of the family, then you’d already feel part of the process of self determination, as part of our Union, not as a Scot, in Scotland, ie, not an English in England.

Anyway, I’ve cast my vote.
    I’m pro Union of Great Britain and anti break-up.
    🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Momenteum – I was born in England of English parents. I have a very English accent. I have lived in Scotland 30+ years now – and I have come across very little enmity at all for many years.

However, that post betrays what appears to me as an entrenched perspective, from which a view has been formed.

I am not really sure what you mean with this. Scotland has a different political consensus to England. Its one of the drivers for independence.

wrecker
    Free Member

Bloody good job eh, TJ? 😀

wallace1492
    Free Member

momentum_2000 – Member

I can only speak for myself. Have many English friends, lovely people, very friendy. Beautiful country too. But still like my country (as I believe it to be a country) Scotland to have more powers of self determination. Do I want independence – well, not made up my mind.

As I said, love the English people, though have a few issues with the media and the football/sports commentators!

Lets not kid ourselves, there are a minority of Scots with anti English views.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Good speech by David Cameron’ is closed to new replies.