Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Good routes around Castle Bolton / Wensleydale
  • funkrodent

Hi all

I’m going to be spending a few days staying in Castle Bolton with the missus and the trailhound.

I’ll be able to get out for a couple of hours each morning with the bike and dog and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of some good riding, preferably from the door.

I’d love a bit of climbing and a bit of good, gnarly descending. Given that local knowledge in these matters trumps everything else, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

martinhutch

Can you hop in the car and pop over to Reeth in Swaledale? The descending tends to be potentially gnarlier there. Wensleydale is a bit more xc – you could climb up the cam road out of Bainbridge, follow the ridge then drop into Hawes on a Bw. I remember a roughish section on that. Lovely wide views off the ridge.

You could also climb onto the Stake allotments from Bainbridge and drop into Thoralby. I haven’t ridden it for a while but remember it being a decent drop.

funkrodent

Thanks Martin. Wouldn’t rule out a trip to Reeth, though it may blow the agreed 2 hour time limit out of the window! Somewhat familiar with the riding around there as dragged myself round the Ard Rock a few weeks ago, you’re certainly right about the added gnaarr!

I’ve read that the descent into Thoralby is well worth a crack. From what you’ve said I’m coming to the conclusion that the 140mm 29er is a better option than the new (ridiculously cheap, but apparently very good) 160mm Vitus Sommet that I’ve just pushed the button on!

martinhutch

Er yes. You will still be over biked for 90 percent of the stuff I’ve mentioned on the 29er. If the ardrock was up your street, a loop taking in Fremington edge and/or Gunnerside Gill would satisfy you more.

funkrodent

No worries, I spend most of my time on the 29er taking the dog round the river near where I live. I’m overbiked for 99.9% of the time on that! It’ll be a crack regardless, but I guess the only real decision is whether to head over to Swaledale and take the FS or keep it local and take the hardtail. It’ll be fub regardless 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

The drop off Stake allotment to Thoralby has been messed with by the landowner/estate. What used to be a fine grassy moorland track is now rubble.

The loop up the old Roman road, along the Cam Road then back down to Hawes that Martin mentions is decent.

peepingtom
    Free Member

Carlton to West burton then go up Morpeth gate as a short but 2hr loop .

funkrodent

Ended up riding from Castle Bolton. Took the bridleway in direction of Askrigg before dropping down to Woodhall, skirting some cows, crossing the river by means of stepping stones and heading up a nettle and rubble infested “lane” to Thornton Rust. From there it was a bridleway across to the lane that heads up to Stakes allotment. As whitestone says, this has been sanitised by the addition of lots of rubble, though it made for some interesting high speed drifting. That said the last quarter or so was great and I managed to beat the trailhound to the bottom! A couple of cheeky footpaths got me back to Castle Bolton in time for me lunch. Took just under 5 hours all told, a significant part of which was stopping to check the map and a self enforced go slow from Thoralby as it was boiling hot on Sunday and I was worried about the canine overheating!
    Thanks for all the advice guys!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Good routes around Castle Bolton / Wensleydale’ is closed to new replies.