Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Good food and ale pubs in/near Buxton
  • ThePerfectKiss

Off to Buxton in the Peaks this weekend, looking for family friendly pubs that do good food and ale, so over to the hive mind, what would you recommend?

pk13

Titanic brewery owned pub just out of town by the coop. Forgot the name sorry 😆

moose
    Free Member

Never been! However, when faced with similar problems in the past the CAMRA app has proven invaluable. 😀

pk13

Cheshire Cheese is the name

ThePerfectKiss

Top tips, thanks!

MartynS

if you don’t mind a little drive and want a good sunday lunch..

head south out of Buxton on the A6 heading to Bakewell. Little village just before bakewell called Ashford in the water, the pub is the Ashford Arms
    bestest carvery ive had!
    i’d book though… gets busy.

pk13

Ashford arms is good food .nice village too. Good call

isitafox
    Free Member

Royal Oak at Hurdlow http://www.peakpub.co.uk/

IHN

Beehive in Coombs. Again, best to book.

steve-g
    Free Member

The Bear, at Alderwasley is the best carvery I have ever had, worth the drive.

steve-g
    Free Member

Actually, just thought, and with the “family friendly” aspect, the Royal Oak as mentioned above is a good shout and is only about a mile or so from here which is great for littleuns if the weather is good

chrisr1983
    Free Member

Old hall inn, near Chinley. It has like a 15 page beer menu.

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for the Old Hall Inn. Great food, really friendly staff, nice beer, easy access to good riding. Quite happy to let mountain bikers dry their steaming wet socks in front of an open fire, don’t ask how I know etc…

ianfitz
    Free Member

the Duke in Burbage on the edge of buxton does good food and beer if you are at the Macc Rd end of town

MoreCashThanDash

Royal Oak, as above
    Royal Oak, as above
    Royal Oak, as above
    Royal Oak, as above
    Royal Oak, as above
    Royal Oak, as above
    Royal Oak, as above
    Royal Oak, as above

But you might need to book!

unovolo
    Free Member

Another vote for ‘The Old Hall Inn’ in Whitehough (lovely little hamlet on outskirts of Chinley).
    The garden at the rear is great to sit out in if the weathers nice, plus you also have the option of there other pub ‘The Paper Mill’ across the road.

http://www.old-hall-inn.co.uk/#!gallery/c1izd

MoreCashThanDash

Royal Oak is also on the High Peak Trail – give or take 50 yards – 2 flat miles from the Parsley Hay car park/cycle hire centre.

Bunnyhop

We like http://www.valeinn.co.uk/about.htm The Vale Inn.
    It’s situated very close to ‘The Middlewood Way’ in Bollington (Just outside Macclesfield).

Also recommend the ‘Old Hall Inn’, Chinley.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

The Royal Oak as above.

Very few boxes it doesn’t tick.

Also the Bulls Head at Ashford in the Water.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Old-hall is my local. They do a great t-bone steak and the best cheese board ever!

woody21
    Free Member

Another vote for the Royal Oak at Hurdlow also the Bulls Head at Monyash is ok. The Royal Oak would be my first choice though

nbt

this weekend (Sunday to be precise) the Ronde Van Chinley is running from the Old Hall Inn at Whitehough, and they’ll be showing the Paris-Roubaix on a big screen in the Paper Mill. I think the Ronde is full but you never know, there might be some no-shows on the day

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Went to the Old Hall last weekend but it was under some sort of renovation so everything was done from the pub next door (the Papermill). Well worth a look but I’d check whats happening before you go – its likely to be busy.

The Lamb just up the road towards Hayfield is superb on a hot day too.

As for Buxton itself, don’t bother!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Buxton Tap House in centre of town is great

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Good food and ale pubs in/near Buxton’ is closed to new replies.