Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Good commuter bike?
  • sherry
    Free Member

I’m Looking for a commuter bike and have been looking at the Boardman comp hybrid which is going for £350 for the 08 model. Does anyone know if its any good, can anyone recommend a bike for around the same price or cheaper?

sherry
    Free Member

Has anyone got any info? any help would be much appreciated!

z1ppy

m8 was looking at the focus ones on wiggle, but a quick glance suggest the boardman is a better bet.. in fact I’m gunna mention it to him…

miketually
    Free Member

How far will you be riding? In traffic or not? Hills or not? Stuff to carry or not? Somewhere to change at work or not?

sherry
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply, all the commuting will be done on road/cycle path, distance will be 7 miles each way, using a back pack, got changing room and showers at work. I’v got a couple mountain bikes (hardtail & full sus) but don’t want to use them as a commute.

Lummox

might be well out of your budget but i have been using a Cannondale badboy 700 – very mountain bike feeling with the advantage of 700c wheels for road use. Discs are very welcome, and the bike has rack mounts etc built in all over. I’m very satisfied with it.

coylumbridge
    Free Member

I use a Scott Sub 20 when on the road – mountain bike setup, Deore and LX, overall light in weight with thin (but not too thin) tyres. Nice frame but you’d need to add racks, mudguards etc. Think you can still get some of the 2008 models at sale prices.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Marin Alp bikes, a Lucas Valley. Basically it’s a flat bar road bike, but according to the marketing BS it has mountain bike angles. Not sure how true this is, since I’ve only ever ridden a road bike once. I would say it has a nice upright position though, which works for me. I reckon it’s about 30% faster than the full suss on my commute. Mine was £650, but you should be able to pick up a lower spec model from somewhere like cycles uk if you can still get an 08 model.

Have to say I love mine, it just demands to be ridden quickly. Always get to work beaming and sweaty 🙂 Specialized do the Sirrus, which looks similar and has some cheaper models

geoffj

The Boardman bikes are well specced for the money. Highly recommended in some parts.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just a thought, but for 7 miles each way, have you considered something with drops? It will make a noticable difference if there’s a bit of a headwind.

andym
    Free Member

It looks pretty good – though the gearing is a double chainset with a 50T and a 36T chainring. So higher than an MTB and no granny ring – which may not be a problem if there are no steep hills on the way.

Soup
    Free Member

Spec. tricross singlespeed. 08 models are going for that sort of money.

miketually
    Free Member

Full mudguards and a rack or basket will allow you to wear normal clothed and not mess about getting changed at work. That’ll save you more time than drops.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Good commuter bike?’ is closed to new replies.