• This topic has 65 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Going out with someone with a kid?
  • juan
    Free Member

I am reaching the age where going out with someone who already has children is inevitable.
    What should I expect? I know she’ll put her kid before the relationship, fair enough as I wouldn’t go out with someone who wouldn’t.

But how should I behave with the kids?

Thanks

P.S. That is an hypotetical question as for the moment nothing is done…

Stoner
    Free Member

What should I expect?

a wizards sleeve?

BadlyWiredDog

That’s just bollocks isn’t it. You make it sound like every woman over the age of 25 has children. Guess what, it’s not true unless you hang around outside school gates chatting up single mums…

flyingmonkeycorps

Tried it, it didn’t work out… My problem with the whole thing was that I really didn’t agree with the way the kid was being brought up, and there wasn’t really anything I could do about it. That really upset me. Hopefully you won’t have that problem though.

As to how to behave with the kids… I’d say just treat them like you would a nephew or niece, to start with at least.

uplink
    Free Member

What should I expect?

“are you my new daddy”

juan
    Free Member

BWD sorry but I do not do highschool girls…

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’re in your 20s are you not?

Why not worry about it when it happens?

Or are you shooting blanks?

BigDummy
    Free Member

How old are you?

I may be wrong, but I reckon you can probably avoid mums if you want, at any age.

As for how to behave with the kids, taking pictures of them in the bath is a big no-no. 😉

juan
    Free Member

BD in my 30’s. AS for the picture thanks, but I would have though this one by myself 😉
    Cynical well I am just wondering as it might happen, and any tips would be very welcome.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

{modded}

juan
    Free Member

Oh dear what have I done 😐

theflatboy
    Free Member

treat them as friends, rather than try to act as a father figure. and under no circumstances ever give them the impression that they are an annoying hindrance to your relationship with the mother, whether they are or not. that will **** them up good and proper and cause no end of resentment between them and the mother, should the relationship last.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

BWD sorry but I do not do highschool girls…

Just as well you don’t live round here. Then, you’d have to deal with kids….

headfirst
    Free Member

oh no, there’s only one way from here, and its not up….

juan: don’t fret fella, just cross that bridge when you come to it

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Oh dear what have I done

LOL (no really, I am actually laughing out loud)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

just go with the flow, if its meant to be it will be and if not its not.

Cooroo
    Free Member

Flatboy got it about right.

My daughter was about 5 when StuE and I got together. It was hard for him as he really isn’t child-minded. 7 years on it’s still hard for them both (and for me!). If the relationship is strong enough it will stand it.

Single friends with kids are very aware that their situation is a huge hurdle for any new relationship.

Be nice but not creepy. Don’t attempt to lay down your own rules until you are all a family together. If you disagree with the way the mother does things, keep it quiet. But it may undermine the relationship eventually…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

You’re right, kid will come before you. So don’t expect maybe any short notice “let’s go out tonight for a meal/drink”. From experience it’s just a case of planning ahead a little, or maybe doing ‘afternoon’ things rather than nighttime. Of course, daddie may have the little one at weekends.

And just nod appreciatively when she tells you all her woes.

Oh, and always bring wine AND chocs!

juan
    Free Member

Cooroo thanks that’s very usefull

Houns

Easy – Don’t date anyone who has kids

coffeeking
    Free Member

A good first step would be to offer to take them swimming so that she can have some time by herself.

OK, as a first step that’s likely to raise some serious suspicions!

Personally if I couldnt deal with the “woman with child” thing I’d just not date any! I think I’m of a similar age to yourself, Juan, and I know dozens of women our age that have not had kids. I’ve been with my other half for 11 years and we haven’t had a kid, not everyone wants one!

Daffy

I’m with Houns….not literally!

footstomper
    Free Member

Unless you want a ready made family then shop around, there are thousands of career women without kids who are looking for someone special. Why not try one of them dating agency for sports mad people, at least you know they are similar minded.

StuF

When I met MrsF she already had an 18month boy – his sperm donor wasn’t on the scene.

Within about 4 months he was calling me ‘Daddy’ (only slightly worrying!) – now 8.5 years on we’re married and I’ve adopted him and we’ve another 3 lovely girls. – so all good there.

so don’t be put off if there are kids about just take things easily and make sure its what you want

sofatester
    Free Member

If in doubt dont go out.

scruff
    Free Member

Butchers Dustbin.

or even worse a Ripped out Fireplace.

mt
    Free Member

“BadlyWiredDog – Member
    That’s just bollocks isn’t it. You make it sound like every woman over the age of 25 has children. Guess what, it’s not true unless you hang around outside school gates chatting up single mums…”

Welfare mothers make better lovers…….

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Me and my man got married when my son was 10 months old, his daddy was never on the scene which made it a bit less complicated. Dan told me he loved me so it seemed natural to love my son too. Its not always easy, but thats relationships for you, with or without kids.
    4 years on Dan has adopted Joel and we have 2 year old daughter too. Turned out Joels profoundly autistic with serious learning difficulties.Its not easy at all being his Dad.

The most important thing is to make time for the two of you without kids and just enjoy that time together

Chase
    Free Member

Just be wary of the woman who’s kids all have the same first name to make it easier when she wants them to do anything. You know you’re in trouble when she uses their surnames to address them individually 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

If in doubt dont go out.

I was always taught “if in doubt go flat out”.

richc
    Free Member

as others said if it bothers you, go out with someone without kids. There are loads of career women who are *waiting* (sometimes until too late) until they are older to have kids.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Blimey, I just got “{modded}”

Sense of humour failure?

I didn’t swear, I didn’t use any offensively sexist slang (unlike the very first response on the subject) – I simply used irony in the form of some very bad advice to Juan on how to win kids and their single mums round to make what I thought was actually a very serious point. Would it have helped to make that more obvious if I’d put the word “not” at the end a la Wayne’s World?

Frankly, if you thought my comment was worth modding then perhaps you should have taken down the whole thread.

hora
    Free Member

Your in your 30’s not 40’s.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Right, so most of the people he’s boning will have kids who are about 16.

😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I had one on Sunday after a 2hr ride and felt surprisingly pukka for the rest of the day.

it sounded like grooming or at the very least highly suspect manipulation 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Taking your 18yr old step daughter out for her first bra fitting with her protesting that shes passed that stage….. 8) 🙄

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

simonfbarnes,

“I had one on Sunday after a 2hr ride and felt surprisingly pukka for the rest of the day.”
    it sounded like grooming or at the very least highly suspect manipulation

Who/what are you quoting?

druidh
    Free Member

Juan – she already has a partner…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

With some trepidation, given the author, I opened this thread with but one thought upon my little grey cells.

“I wonder”, I mused to myself, “if anyone has mentioned a part of a clothing item belonging to one of a magical persuasion.

And, lo and behold,

Stoner – Member

What should I expect?

a wizards sleeve?

Rarely disappointed.

sharki
    Free Member

You’ll either settle into a routine with them naturally or not.

If not she’ll not let you hang around long enough to learn.

You’ll need to learn and except you’ll be mostly second in her thoughts and priorities….

Not to scare you further, if it gets to the stage where you move in you become responsible, which if you care for the ladies that much, you’ll not have any worries about..
    You may benefit from spending time around kids more, but not at schools and parks……you’ll soon get in trouble lol..

If you have friends and family with kids explain to them and join them on days out etc….

I’ve got three kids of my own and if i ever want to and meet anyone else with kids, there will be a big bunch of kids around, but htat’s something i’ve already accepted and am prepared for…

Kids are great though as they let you be one too..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Going out with someone with a kid?’ is closed to new replies.