Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Going 1×10 (from 2×10)
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Started getting a bit of grief off the lads who are pretty much all running single rings now.

Thinking I might bite the bullet and have a crack at it, one of em has a spare 32t I can try.

However, I don’t really know what the point is? Shed a bit of weight, and tidy up the cockpit but is that it apart from it being the latest craze?

Also, my fitness is only fair to middling – I’m a 3hr blast man, all day epics don’t interest me. I can get up anything they can get up, but I’m usually one of the last, although its only seconds behind.

No harm trying it I suppose, although we are going for a bit of a Lakeland adventure over Christmas – should I hold off until the NY?

bill65
    Free Member

Dont be a sheep, do what works for you.
    If you use your granny ring a lot then there is no point.

matther01
    Free Member

If you’ve already got a clutch mech and can afford £35 for a works components nw ring then give it a try. If its not for you then flog the ring on here and you’ll only lose a tenner or so.

sharkattack

Started getting a bit of grief off the lads…..

You lost me here. Don’t do peer pressure.

However, I don’t really know what the point is?

There’s your answer.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

the point is chain retention and quietness and not having to run a chain guide mainly for me…

the bit of weight saving and de-clutter is a nice by product..

if your not losing your chain and don’t have an issue with the other bits don’t bother, but if he’s got one you can use (as long as its narrow-wide) give it a go!

I wouldn’t go back…

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I’m definitely going to give it a go. I’ve no issue switching back if it’s not for me… Just debating whether a the lakes is the best place for my first outing on it?

mikey74
    Free Member

The big reason for me is the simplicity and reduced maintenance (both on and off the bike). Plus, that many gears is pretty much unnecessary and therefore dead-weight.

allthepies
    Free Member

What is this “grief” ?

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Not grief, just a bit of light ribbing. Like I say I’m not arsed, I’ve no issue switching back.

rickon
    Free Member

As above, unless its a Narrow Wide ring, as made by Race face or Works compnponents, don’t bother.

You’ll lose the chain a lot, unless you run a chain device.

And, what’s the point of you’re not bothered? How about, try not using the top three gears for a ride, that’ll tell you if you can manage it or not, or even enjoy it.

I run 1×10, I’m pretty fit, and strong, and I still do mash up climbs. Of you’re more of a spin, than mashing the pedals – stick with 2×10.

If you drop your chain a lot, have problems with chain line, and have rubbing mech and chain issues, and like to mash the pedals (if you live anywhere with hills)… Go 1×10.

DanW
    Free Member

I have always thoroughly hated front mechs even before 11-36T cassettes or narrow wide rings came around. Main thing for me is a front mech seemed to collect so much mud and be a PITA to clean properly. Wide range cassettes and NW rings just made what I always wanted to run more accessible and I’m not man enough for SS 😀 )

+ Chain retention (even with a front mech the chain might drop occasionally)
    + Quiet! Only a grip shift to trim the front mech can get rid of the annoying rub at gear extremes
    + “Cleaner”- in terms of collecting less mud
    + Easier to clean at the end of a ride
    + Cheaper to buy initially and to maintain. It might be my imagination but I seem to get more chain life from 1×10 than 2×10 and rings seem to last much longer.
    + Weight saving (quite a few wasted 100g’s to be shed)
    + De-clutter of the cockpit
    + Simplicity and reduced maintenance (both on and off the bike).

– Can you climb in 32-36? I didn’t have any trouble getting up anything but the cadence was quite low on the steeper stuff which was killing my legs by the end of longer rides, especially in the winter mud. Now on XX1 to keep the cadence up and hopefully not knacker the legs on the longer rides so much

I wouldn’t go back…

Me neither 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Going 1×10 (from 2×10)’ is closed to new replies.