Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Godd calories, bad calories, or just calories?
  • Kryton57

Right, I’ve decided I can go without something to eat after arriving at the office in the mornings – about 2 hrs after breakfast, and 3 and 1/2 before lunch.

Traditionally I’d eat a bacon roll (no butter). But have decided to swap that for Jordans 45% fruit meausli.

Is there any point? Is this just replacing calories from item a to item b, or is the Jordans calories significantly better for my health / waistline?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Full of sugar, stick to the bacon roll, just make sure its brown bread and trim the fat, no sauce.

Kryton57

stevewhyte – Member
    Full of sugar, stick to the bacon roll, just make sure its brown bread and trim the fat, no sauce.

That might be tricky, from a polish cafe….

More protien I guess thouogh…

ton

throw the bread and eat the fatty bacon. fat is good bread is not.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

thats a ropey bacon roll right theyre….i remember reading a bit of the atkins diet and they suugested eating just the burger if you go to macdonalds and chuck everything else..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why is saturated fat good for you and bread not?

Your more likely to die from eating saturated fat than bread surely

Lifer
    Free Member

I eat around 6/8 slices of seedy granary brahn bread every day…

highclimber
    Free Member

calories are just calories (a unit of energy, specifically 1 calorie is how much energy it takes to increase the temp of 1lt of water 1 deg). the only benefit of swapping your bacon roll for the sugar laden jordans cereal is that it has less sat fat.

ton
    Kryton57

highclimber – Member
    calories are just calories (a unit of energy, specifically 1 calorie is how much energy it takes to increase the temp of 1lt of water 1 deg). the only benefit of swapping your bacon roll for the sugar laden jordans cereal is that it has less sat fat.

Although the sugar will turn to fat right? And it does say on the box that (of a 45g serving) 18g of the Carbs ofwhich sugars is 18g – is that 18g of Sugar and therefore fat?

DrP

18g of the Carbs ofwhich sugars is 18g – is that 18g of Sugar and therefore fat?

No…
    They have different calorific values.
    So, a gram(me) of X has Y calories in it
    protein = 4
    carb = 6
    fat = 9
    alcohol = 9
    (IIRC)

So for every 1.5g of sugar, you’ll make 1g of fat (kinda…)

DrP

oddjob
    Free Member

Oh god it’s the same old argument all over again.

Not all calories are equal.

Search youtube for a long presentation from Gary Taubs, watch it and them make your own mind up.

Or watch it here

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vpFV6Wkl4[/video]

highclimber
    Free Member

Although the sugar will turn to fat right?

excess energy from too much sugar and too little exercise will be stored as fat.
    lot of this fat is stored around the organs etc so you don’t really notice it until its too late!

Kryton57

So thats roughly 12g of Fat from my Jordans.

How much then from my bacon rolls, bearing in mind this from Ton’s article:

The Fat Paradigm, under which the human species has thrived quite effectively for two and a half million years, recognizes that human metabolism is pre-programmed by evolution to be primarily fat-based (the real preferred fuel). In other words, our genes expect us to function optimally when we consume fats and can easily access our stored fat. The Fat Paradigm acknowledges that the body is able to manufacture adequate glucose as needed. It acknowledges that most typical human movement patterns can be fueled almost entirely by fats

grum
    Free Member

Um surely the cereal has a lot more nutrients in it though?

DrP

But the roll has more bacon in it……..
    mmmmm…….BACON……..

DrP

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Your more likely to die from eating saturated fat than bread surely

I think the gist of it is that there’s no link betweeen fat you eat and ilness’ caused by fat? The illnesses caused by fat are caused by excessive calories being stored as fat, i.e. if you eat too much of a normal diet your body will store the fat and try and burn off the carbs, if it can’t burn the carbs it stores them as fat too.

e.g. BHF has removed it’s 3 eggs a week guidance as there’s no indication that colestrol you eat is bad for you (it actualy does some really good stuff if your a bloke, it’s metabolised into testosterone, but then that kills you off anyway……).

I long ago gave up trying to understand the ins and outs of the latest thinking and just eat whatever I fancy (but try not to eat too much) and try to avoid pasta/rice/bread/potato.

Um surely the cereal has a lot more nutrients in it though?

good quote from somewhere says, “there are no essential carbs, but there are essential fats”

29erKeith
    Free Member

DrP has a very good point
    mmmmmmmm….BACON… 😆
    Thread closed 😉

Garry_Lager

Next time you’re feeling peckish on a ride, gather up some twigs and branches from beside the trail and tuck in. Full of calories, should get you fueled up nicely.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I long ago gave up trying to understand the ins and outs of the latest thinking and just eat whatever I fancy (but try not to eat too much) and try to avoid pasta/rice/bread/potato.”

Me too, but I like eating pasta, rice, bread and potato too and its not done me any harm yet.

tails
    Free Member

Have a read of the 4 hour diet or 4 week diet 😕 not particularly something you can follow but very interesting and I’m only on the first chapter.

DrP

Next time you’re feeling peckish on a ride, gather up some twigs and branches from beside the trail and tuck in. Full of calories, should get you fueled up nicely.

Ah, now you’re on about calorie density…..
    Twigs contain calories, but aren’t calorie dense! By that – a mars bar will burn “better” than a twig (in scientific conditions – I’m not saying we all sing kum-by-ar around a burning Twix…)

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Calories are not just calories, not at all.

Different types of calories make your body respond differently.

Hence what is known on here as the iDiet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Me too, but I like eating pasta, rice, bread and potato too and its not done me any harm yet.

So do I, but I no longer feel guilty eating spaggetti bolognese with a side of steak for example. I prefer steak to stodge.

bwaarp
    Free Member

For the love of god….read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

crikey
    Free Member

You know Godwins Law?

We should think of a name for this phenomenon that corresponds…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Gutwin’s Law?

druidh
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

Mmmmm, pasta, rice, bread….

I eat tons of the stuff, me.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Sorry, but can someone explain what is wrong with bread? Specifically I eat a reasonable amount of home made bread made with good quality wholemeal flour and not too much salt, sugar or fat

theflatboy
    Free Member

DrP – Member

By that – a mars bar will burn “better” than a twig (in scientific conditions – I’m not saying we all sing kum-by-ar around a burning Twix…)

though pringles take a flame and burn quite happily. and quite depressingly!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Somewhat contentions indeed. You will get a whole variety of opinions on this topic and lots of badly understood mumbojumbo. The iDave diet is plausible but far from accepted fact.

nicko74

just calories

This. If you burn off the calories, the rest is just bunk.

OTOH, brown bread (rather than white) has been linked to lower incidence of colonic cancer, but that’s not quite the question you were asking!

trickydisco
    Free Member

the world’s largest diet study:

” If you want to lose weight or avoid gaining weight, you should cut down on finely refined starch calories such as white bread and white rice and instead eat a diet that is high in proteins with more lean meat, low-fat dairy products and beans.”

molgrips
    Free Member

The iDave diet is plausible but far from accepted fact

People disagree on whether or not is necessary, but I think anyone would agree that it would work and is healthy.

Sorry, but can someone explain what is wrong with bread?

According to many, gluten is not good for you even if you are not actually allergic or intolerant.

druidh
    Free Member

Funny how it has taken us several thousand years to discover that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, it also took us quite a long time to discover that tobacco is bad for you. It’s because now we are in a position to figure out why we die or feel a little bloated after a big meal etc etc.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s because now we are in a position to figure out why we die or feel a little bloated after a big meal etc etc.

That’s quite a large spectrum we’re figuring out molgrips….

…and although I go on about it almost as much as you go on about iDave, I still find the thought and sight of the most well fed, well supplied, well optioned, well medicined people in the whole wide world chundering on about which calories to eat or not to eat to avoid them being fat bastards to be more than a little distasteful…

molgrips
    Free Member

Quite so crikey, but I don’t see what you are getting at. Our world is unbalanced – is that your point? Cos it’s a bit of an obvious one!

Or are you saying I should stop thinking about what to eat?

crikey
    Free Member

Or are you saying I should stop thinking about what to eat?

I’m saying that perhaps you could not bring up the iDave subject at EVERY posssible opportunity. You are a grown up, you can decide what to eat all by your self.

molgrips
    Free Member

Um. It is highly relevant to this thread, and I mentioned to provide possible further reading opportunities for the OP.

And people can only make decisions with information, can they not?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Godd calories, bad calories, or just calories?’ is closed to new replies.