Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Gloves on the road
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

I always wear gloves (and rarely a helmet). Shorts and t-shirt on a motorbike with gloves too…

tomhoward

Always wear gloves, mainly to stop blisters.

On the injury front, I dont wear them to stop me from dying or loosing a lot of blood, or even to protect the nerves (though thinking about it, thats not unreasonable). losing the use of your hands, even just because they’re covered in gravel rash, is grim. IIRC we lost a rider because, in part, the docs had pretty much told him he couldnt do the sports he loved due to knackered hands.

Look after your hands kids.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Mitts in summer, full finger for the rest of the year. I spent a lot of time coming off the bike in my early years so I try and be careful these days.

There is a special place in my heart for that first ride where you forget them but don’t care because it’s so warm though!

The bike does feel nicer without them on. Purely personal preference though.

RealMan
    Free Member

Gloves have never, ever compromised my ability to brake and change gear

TBF I never noticed it whilst I was wearing gloves, but if I go back to wearing gloves now it’s kinda annoying. Everything is just easier bare handed. Maybe only a little bit, but still.

Apart from the abrasion blisters on your palms…

Never…

Do you ride without shorts and jersey too?

Only if you ask nicely 😉

Mmm. COs it takes all of 5 seconds to whip a glove off…

So I’m 10 seconds faster than you 😀

Oh, boo hoo…

Cheer up now 🙂

Eh? How hard do you need to grip the bars? Light but firm grip at all times.

Well the post a bit above yours I think is a decent example..

I’ve tried riding with very thin gloves, but despite the setup seeming comfortable in terms of arm, body etc position, i get ulnar nerve issues. Taken to always wearing Spesh BG gloves which help a lot, especially on decent length (+12hour) rides.

Horses for courses, innit? Just because you don’t feel the cold, doesn’t mean everybody else doesn’t feel it. And some people feel the cold no matter what they do.

Indeed, but I used to really suffer, and I’d be wearing like two pairs of gloves and still get cold hands, it was horrible. Then I stopped wearing gloves altogether, and now I don’t get cold hands. I know correlation doesn’t always imply causation, but it does make sense. YMMV, but you won’t know till you try.

Gloveless was a massive revelation to my riding, I’m not saying you have to do it, but I’d recommend it hugely. No need to take offence.

Also how much do a pair of gloves weigh? Like an extra 100g? Gonna get dropped on the climbs..

dannybgoode

I generally ponce about on the road with my Rapha Grand Tour gloves. Paid a bloody fortune for them so by golly I’m going to use them…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I forgot mine one day and never went back for them, haven’t worn summer gloves on the road since. Still use full finger gloves off road though.

Gloves if it’s cold.

+1

If it’s warm enough not to have arm warmers it’s warm enough to ditch the gloves.

Can you get around the issue by changing bar/lever position and tape etc?

Ritchey evo-curve bars, lizzard skins DSP tape, i only tape to the first bend (i.e not the tops) and they’re fine even without gloves.

tinribz
    Free Member

Never normally use them on or off road unless its cold. But did a 4 day trip recently and by the end my hands were red raw. Despite riding two or three times a week in the weeks before. So its time in the saddle I reckon.

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s warm enough not to have arm warmers it’s warm enough to ditch the gloves.

+1

Wear proper gloves in winter – generally Gore windstopper ones, but never bother any more in summer. Used to, just don’t now.

Tend to wear long finger gloves on the MTB though.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I tend to wear mine as I tend to think back to that crash in Burning Calves and the stitching up afterward (if anyone else remembers that) but not at all fussed and will happily ride without when it’s warm. I do find that I need them below maybe 15 degrees though as I get cold hands quite easily and hate braking with cold fingers.

D0NK

never ride mtb gloveless so feels weird not to wear them the few times I ride the road bike aswell. I suffer from cold hands in winter and a sweaty bonce in summer so warmth/wipe is always nice to have.

Have noticed a couple of mtb gloves had padding/seams in the wrong place and were uncomfortable on drop bars.

molgrips
    Free Member

I may go back to being gloveless, actually, for a ride or two. It does feel nice. It’s a bit slippery on the road bike though, cos of how I have my bars set up.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    I don’t wear gloves on the road ever.

In that case, I think it behooves you to change your family name.

stevehine

I usually wear gloves; but dislike the padded palm of cycling specific mitts (I’m sure you can get them without) – so I tend to wear sailing gloves. Am I alone ? 😉

innit_gareth
    Free Member

For those who sweat unnecessarily large amounts then wearing gloves is a good idea. My hands slip otherwise.

Lifer
    Free Member

Mits on road bike, full finger on MTB due to sweaty hands. Have worn gloves since crashing while riding street and not being able to ride/hold a pint glass for a while.

Northwind – Member
    I don’t think anyone riding without them has fully thought through the consequences of not being able to fap for days on end because they have no skin on their palms.

Did I say fap? I meant ride obviously.

No, I meant fap.

😆 😳

aracer
    Free Member

For those who sweat unnecessarily large amounts then wearing gloves is a good idea. My hands slip otherwise.

Maybe you just need different bar tape – personally I can’t say I’ve ever found that a problem (and I do sweat lots, which is one of the reasons I find gloveless more comfortable). Haven’t ever had a problem with blisters either. Maybe gloves are for those who can’t MTFU? 😈

cheese@4p

I saw a glove on the road the other day

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Gloves on the road’ is closed to new replies.