Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Gloves on the road
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

Well we are having a helmet debate so why not 🙂

Since the wife came off in oh about 1986, riding through Rouen, I’ve always used at least some mitts. Funny enough at the time we didnt wear helmets.
    Interesting that you see a lot of people riding without any on.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t wear gloves when riding (a bike) off road.

RealMan
    Free Member

No gloves. If it’s going to be under 5 degrees I’ll carry a thin full finger pair stuffed up my jersey, and if my hands start getting cold I’ll pop them on for 10 minutes, then put them back up my jersey.

Obviously things get a bit different when it starts raining.

I’ve also stopped wearing gloves when riding XC.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t wear gloves on the road ever.
    And half the time I don’t bother off road either.

portlyone

Usually always. Not with any real padding but just to stop the abrasions on the dismounts.

Edric64
    Free Member

Track mitts on and off road (and on the track )

Haze

Mitts in summer, full finger wool (Prendas) when it’s cooler.

Sealskin’s if it’s really cold…

spchantler
    Free Member

tend to just slip them on before i drop down to boot it past some muppet who has wasted the last two overtaking chances, on my regular trips to halfords…in the a6. i am a driving god.

Edric64
    Free Member

String back driving gloves ?

nicko74

Always. Mainly

just to stop the abrasions on the dismounts.

, but also cause bars can get sticky and sweaty and dirty.

anagallis_arvensis

Almost always. Need somewhere to wipe away snot and sweat.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Almost always. Need somewhere to wipe away snot and sweat.

+1

molgrips
    Free Member

Very difficult to pick up a fatal or debilitating palm injury.

I do wear them though, but I never did before about 2000 or so for some reason.

crikey
    Free Member

well now…

In my bag full of gloves I’ve got track mitts, full finger gloves, thin woolly gloves, thin fleece gloves, thick woolly gloves, thick fleece gloves, thin rubber dotted full finger gloves, thick…. you get the idea.

I don’t bother with gloves in the summer, they just get sweaty, I do use full finger gloves in the rain, something like the 661 Raji, but my faves are thin woolly gloves with rubber spots on by DeFeet or Northwave.

…this does make me wonder why I’ve bought so many bloody gloves…

CountZero

I’ve been wearing full-finger gloves almost as long as I’ve been riding mountain bikes, and I don’t feel comfortable riding without. Usually Rocket Race Parts gloves, or my Oakley Factory Pilot or RaceFace gloves, both with Kevlar palm patches and knuckle protection. The palm protection has saved me from severe gravel rash on my palms, and the knuckle guards have prevented smashed knuckles from clipping tree-trunks in the FoD, and car mirrors on a number of occasions when drivers have intruded into the cycle lane, then slowed without warning while I’m alongside. Very satisfying bang when the mirror gets slammed back against the car body, too, and none of my blood shed.

unknown
    Free Member

Always ride with gloves (mitts on the road) and so used to it I wouldn’t feel comfortable without them. No downsides and potential to avoid abrasions and/or minor injury.

RealMan
    Free Member

No downsides

Once you get used to riding without gloves, it’s way way more comfortable. You get more feel of the bike, and it’s easier to handle and brake and change gear. No stupid wrist tan lines either. Easier to get stuff out your pockets, play with your garmin, etc. etc. too. One less thing to buy, one less thing to get worn out, one less thing to lose, one less thing to wash (technically two). I sometimes wonder if these stupidly padded gloves are one of the reasons why some people don’t hold on properly to the bars, cause it lets them get away with it.

Also I used to get really really cold hands during cold rides. Stopped wearing gloves at the start of summer, kept it going through the year as it got colder, and my hands just grew used to it. Never had cold hands since. And when you go out riding with others and you’ve got people wearing two pairs of massive gloves and they’re complaining about cold hands, and you’re gloveless, well that’s quite nice.

But you are right, if I do crash I might get some cuts on my hands. But then, I don’t crash very often, and all the times I have crashed, I haven’t cut my hands. Could say the same thing about kneepads I guess, too..

As you were..

Edric64
    Free Member

No choice at the velodrome ,gloves are compulsory

badllama
    Free Member

Always have 2 pair of Endura Dexter just rotate them for when one pair are in the wash the others are on.

Would not ride without gloves just as I would not ride without a helmet TBH

nicko74

I don’t feel comfortable riding without.

This. It may not be logical, but meh, works for me.

project
    Free Member

Crochet backed mitts always, after falling off the pavement while walking last summer, and ripping both palms of hands perhaps i should wear them when walking.

richmars

Gloves if it’s cold.

butcher

Been riding gloveless a lot in the recent hot weather. You end up with the most ridiculous tan lines otherwise.

If I come off I’m way more concerned about broken bones and potentially serious injuries rather than my hands stinging when I get in the bath.

aracer
    Free Member

No choice at the velodrome ,gloves are compulsory

Are they? Which velodrome? I’m fairly sure I never wore any when I rode at Manchester, and off to Newport next week…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Very difficult to pick up a fatal or debilitating palm injury.

My gloves and mitts cover my ulnar, median and radial nerves and a fair few big blood vessels.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Normally I feel more vulnerable going out on a bike without mitts than without a helmet.
    Gloves are strictly for winter though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yup, on road rides in summer mitts, if only for the benefits of the gel padding, which imo is considerable, specially on a long ride.

crikey
    Free Member

My gloves and mitts cover my ulnar, median and radial nerves and a fair few big blood vessels.

With a layer of fake leather, Rambo….

tonyd

Fingerless gloves pretty much all the time, full finger when it’s cold but generally just something to keep the wind off. I do occasionally ride the road bike (commute) without gloves when it’s very sunny but this is just vanity – I don’t particularly want really brown fingers and white hands 🙂

When I do ride without gloves on the road bike I find it gets a bit sweaty and sticky. Very rarely ride without them on the MTB but this is probably just a mental thing.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Fingerless padded mitts with sweat wipe pad.

Full gloves in winter.

When you see injuries like skin torn off you’ll be glad you wore gloves.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

99% of the time (usual exclusions of testing gears and a car park demo and the odd time you turn up with 2 left gloves)

Hate not wearing them, the gloves do a great job of absorbing sweat, some protection from gravel rash and comfy. On the raod bike I have some fingerless ones with some padding to help with the prolonged resting in one position.

They also keep my hands warm when it’s cold and nicer when it’s hot. It also give the plus of not needing to put sun cream on my hands when out all day in the blistering heat and zero ozone we seem to have here in tassie.

Also good for snot clearing.

CountZero

Once you get used to riding without gloves, it’s way way more comfortable. You get more feel of the bike, and it’s easier to handle and brake and change gear. No stupid wrist tan lines either. Easier to get stuff out your pockets, play with your garmin, etc. etc. too. One less thing to buy, one less thing to get worn out, one less thing to lose, one less thing to wash (technically two). I sometimes wonder if these stupidly padded gloves are one of the reasons why some people don’t hold on properly to the bars, cause it lets them get away with it.

Gloves have never, ever compromised my ability to brake and change gear. A thin layer of leather, or synthetic leather has zero effect on how well I can feel the shifters and brake levers, and none of my gloves have padding in the palms.
    And I don’t use a Garmin.
    If wearing gloves compromised your ability to hold the bars, shift gears, and pull a brake lever, I’d suggest the issue is your inability to find gloves that fit, and are thin enough to allow sensitivity. All mine are at least ten years old, except for the RF ones, which I think are about five years old. And the Oakleys have worn a small hole in one fingertip.
    I can promise you, without them, at least two impacts on my knuckles would have probably smashed the bones, making holding the bars a bloody sight more difficult. And painful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I missed that gem there CZ! I do remember falling off once due to being unable to brake and change gear due to wearing gloves and blaming gloves for my lack of skillz.

Also the garmin touch screen works fine with gloves 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

I always wear gloves on and off-road these days, gravel rash on your hands is a bitch + I like gel padding + they can help with grip + gives you a more effective snot-wipe

DezB
    Free Member

Just like helmets, I do what I do and don’t care what anyone else does.
    Why do people feel the need to get all Jehovah Witness and try to persuade everyone else that what they do is right for other people?
    That’s all I have to say, really.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Those of you who don’t wear gloves, how do you tweak your bar setup to get it comfortable.
    I’ve tried riding with very thin gloves, but despite the setup seeming comfortable in terms of arm, body etc position, i get ulnar nerve issues. Taken to always wearing Spesh BG gloves which help a lot, especially on decent length (+12hour) rides.

Can you get around the issue by changing bar/lever position and tape etc?

Northwind

All these years I’ve been wondering why I couldn’t change gear or brake, but I just tried without my boxing gloves on and it’s so easy!

Sometimes I’d rather not wear gloves tbh but I like my hands, I don’t think anyone riding without them has fully thought through the consequences of not being able to fap for days on end because they have no skin on their palms.

Did I say fap? I meant ride obviously.

No, I meant fap.

alwillis

never wear gloves on or off road, the exception being when I deem a ride rad enough to require pads and full face lid (in recent times this has been Whistler bike park and the local BMX track).

I have thought about the consequences, but I don’t think the skin on my palms is in the same league as my skull/ helmet really!

titusrider
    Free Member

Wear gloves most of the time but not on ‘sunny’ road rides, its not quite as comfy but I don’t want white hands and brown arms 🙂

johnellison
    Free Member

Once you get used to riding without gloves, it’s way way more comfortable.

Apart from the abrasion blisters on your palms…

You get more feel of the bike, and it’s easier to handle and brake and change gear.

Cobblers.

No stupid wrist tan lines either.

Do you ride without shorts and jersey too?

Easier to get stuff out your pockets, play with your garmin, etc. etc. too.

Mmm. COs it takes all of 5 seconds to whip a glove off…

One less thing to buy, one less thing to get worn out, one less thing to lose, one less thing to wash (technically two).

Oh, boo hoo…

I sometimes wonder if these stupidly padded gloves are one of the reasons why some people don’t hold on properly to the bars, cause it lets them get away with it.

Eh? How hard do you need to grip the bars? Light but firm grip at all times.

Also I used to get really really cold hands during cold rides. Stopped wearing gloves at the start of summer, kept it going through the year as it got colder, and my hands just grew used to it. Never had cold hands since. And when you go out riding with others and you’ve got people wearing two pairs of massive gloves and they’re complaining about cold hands, and you’re gloveless, well that’s quite nice.

Horses for courses, innit? Just because you don’t feel the cold, doesn’t mean everybody else doesn’t feel it. And some people feel the cold no matter what they do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Gloves on the road’ is closed to new replies.