Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gloves
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Had to turn back today as I could not operate my gears or brakes after fingers became near frozen in the wind and rain. So, looking for a recommendation for some gloves that keep warm even when drenched. I have tried neoprene many years back, but they stink! Are there any layered systems that work well?

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Endura strike

and Chiba Tour have served me well for the past few years

TexWade
    Free Member

The strikes are good but think long and hard before you take them off mid ride in wet weather. If you do be very careful that you don’t pull the liner out because you will never get it back in and you will have to ride with freezing hands . In wet/cold (ie May) weather I have a back up pair of warmish gloves in the camelbak just in case after one episode on the Mendips.

lee93
    Free Member

Go to halfords and try the seal skin gloves on befor you buy I use them to bike to work all the time water resident to
    Wouldnt go near the endura ones posted as the inner liner pulls out of the fingers and you never get them back in look good but this let’s them down
    Like I say halfords sell the seal skin wind proof and waterproof ones just try them on see what you think!

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks, I had a mare years back with Specialized glove inners and swore never to use that type again. Will pop to Halfords tomorrow

crikey
    Free Member

Cheap as chips, just squeeze your hand into a fist to get the water out. You’ll get wet hands, but you’ll stay warm.

transapp
    Free Member

So with Stikes, can you get the liners in again when they are dry or are the borked?
    I’ve got a pair if Rooster Winter pro sailing gloves which are astonishing when wet (warm and very grippy) but they are a little small for riding in (can’t extend my thumb enough to change gear which leads to very tired hands) which is never an issue sailing due to small ropes and no need to extend the hand.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chiba

carlosg
    Free Member

I keep a pair of nitrile rubber gloves for under my regular gloves in my hydration pack , your hands sweat like crazy in them but they stay warm.

DavidB
    Free Member

carlosg, so do I..today’s problem was that I opened my goodie pouch and realised that I’d left them out last time I fixed a puncture at home.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Sealskinz All Weather Cycling gloves and the liner has pulled out on them before but not if you’re careful.

I also have a pair of Altura waterproof gloves which I find too warm even in sub-zero conditions.

The Sealskins are great on cold days – they’re not too thick but are wind and waterproof. I find I don’t get sweaty hands in them on cold days but if it’s 10 degrees or above I’d rather just wear my Thor’s and get wet hands. I have really good circulation to my hands so they stay warm. A mate has a pair of the thicker Sealskinz gloves and for me they’re too warm for pretty much all conditions.

excitable1
    Free Member

DON’T DON’T DON’T buy the Endurance Strikes.

You’ll end up taking a pencil out with you so can push the liner back in. The liner also comes out after you wash them, they are a complete pain in the arse. I had 2 pairs over 4 years, I thought I was just unlucky with the first pair but the second pair went exactly the same way.

I think the Seal Skins are too bulky, not really made for MTB as it’s the same glove they market to everyone.

If you want warm, hard wearing, waterproof and build quality…. Gore Bike Wear Countdown gloves are the latest I’ve bought and they are amazing. Fantastic grip too, they actually stick to your grips and I’ve never suffered from cold fingers with them and I wore them all winter. You do get what you pay for in this case.

slowboydickie

Fox Anti-freeze are utterly amazing. They act a bit like a wet suit glove so even if they get wet your hand stays warm. I tried many supposedly waterproof gloves and all have disappointed me until I discovered the Fox. I have been out several times in the last two weeks rain and each time have kept nice and toasty. Even better I bought them off here for £20. Go buy some.

neninja
    Free Member

I think the Seal Skins are too bulky, not really made for MTB as it’s the same glove they market to everyone.

They make 30 or 40 different gloves, some are thick and insulated, others are simply wind/waterproof. The cycling ones are very much designed for that purpose with silicon grips on finger tips for brake levers and towelling on thumb for running noses.

fairhurst
    Free Member

safety gloves form any safety center are of good quality that is what i use all the time.well worth investigating if you haven’t ventured into this department.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gloves’ is closed to new replies.