Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gloss paint front door
  • crmcc
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me how to get the damn paint to dry so that I can shut the front door. The label on the tin says touch dry in 7hrs, I finished the door about 30hrs ago and it feels dry to touch but it I press on the surface it leaves marks. The door has a draught strip that touches the door when it is closed, in the past this has struck to the door and last marks. This time I screwed a bar to the door and frame and left it until now, but would like to close the door now. I also need to paint the windows tomorrow so any advice appreciated. Internet searches suggest 7 days to dry, decorators must have some tricks they can share.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I would have thought should be ok (which its obviously not!). Possible issues are old paint or some reaction with the previous coating or not cleaning the surface properly so that the paint may have reacted with some grease or something that may react with the solvent.

mattyfez

Gloss is veryw oily,so in humid temps ot will take a long time to dry.

And why gloss? You animal.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I am not a painter but I would expect that until the paint is properly dry, which can take a few days, there is always the potential for marks to be left when the door is shut firmly – there can be quite a lot of pressure between a door and its frame when it is firmly shut.

I know from experience (I’m a carpenter) that when working on doors even several days after they have been glossed the paint can still be surprisingly soft and rub off onto your tools – planes, chisels, router bases, etc.

As a non-professional the only solution I can think of is either don’t use oil based paints, ie water based paints instead, or thin the paint and do several thin coats allowing each one to dry before applying the next – they should dry significantly quicker.

Front doors are obviously always a problem because they usually need to be shut on the same day, but if you can manage to leave it overnight loose with perhaps just a security chain on that would help. Minimising the pressure between the door and the frame is the answer imho.

crmcc
    Free Member

Gloss not my idea but had no choice, it’s the external side l of the door if that makes any difference. The paint is new and followed instructions for the prep. We do live on a busy road so may react with traffic fumes. Also it did reason yesterday, but the door is sheltered and didn’t get wet.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

A bit of cling film around the edges? I’ve used it in the past to stop the paint being pulled off and it seemed to work.

crmcc
    Free Member

Cling film is worth a go, cheers.

kaiser
    Free Member

light spray on interface with wd40?
    A few matches/spacers to stop door closing firmly even when locked then touch up on a hot dry day?
    rub a candle on interface area if frame not painted yet ?

jonba
    Free Member

Touch dry is just that, you need the block resistance time. Pretty much a function of temperature so pick a warm day. 10C and most paints won’t dry at all well. 25C and you’ll be fine.

Water based is probably going to be worse as it is more dependant on temperature and humidity. Thin coats is the best answer along with starting early in the morning.

If you are desperate (then something like grease proof paper or cling film might work. Some other plastics are ok as well as the paint won’t adhere.

lambchop
    Free Member

Draught excluder strips can usually be removed from the frame and replaced when the paint has hardened. If you can’t remove the strips smear some vaseline on the excluder this will stop the paint sticking.

lambchop
    Free Member

Draught excluder strips can usually be removed from the frame and replaced when the paint has hardened. If you can’t remove the strips smear some vaseline on the excluder this will stop the paint sticking.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gloss paint front door’ is closed to new replies.