Bird Aeris – Anything As Good For The Money?

Home Forum Bike Forum Bird Aeris – Anything As Good For The Money?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Bird Aeris – Anything As Good For The Money?
  • Loads. But it is personal preference so suggest trying a couple first:
    Rose Uncle Jimbo
    Giant Trance
    Whyte T130
    Commencal Meta
    On One Codeine
    And the list goes on.

Airdrop Edit, same money, different bike, better warranty

As above really, seems like a bargain. Anything similar price as highly rated?

Cheers, Dave

Doesn’t the Aeris have a lifetime transferable warranty?

Premier Icon benpinnick

I am guessing that’s just a confusingly worded post. The Aeris has the best warranty going anywhere, and I would like to think the best customer service to back it up.

(Also not the same money for a full bike 😉 )

+1 Ben

How is airdrops’s warranty better than lifetime and transferable???

Save yourself time and just buy an Aeris. They’re bloody ace.

Premier Icon superstu

I bought an Aeris for the lifetime warranty and the fact they (Bird) are so good to deal with. Further helped that organising a days demo was very easy.

Also, difficult to beat them for spec at any given price range.

Premier Icon nickc

The Airdrop warranty is 2 years and 1 year on bearings. It’s not a lifetime transferable one.

It is still an amazing bike. If you’re in the market for a 150mm trail bike, you’d be daft not to try one.

Saw the airdrop and it’s tempting. I really am struggling as I want another Orange but to be honest, for the money, something else is a no brainer and the Aeris is the one which jumps out of the crowd at the minute. Love the fact you can swap and change bits and spec it exactly as you and/or your budget wants and still end up with a cracking price. Didn’t even know about the warranty as I’ve just started looking…

Ben – any demo rides planned in the North anytime soon?

Premier Icon nickc

Yeah I know what you mean, There’s plenty of pretty good bikes at any budget you like!

I’ve a med Airdrop in West Yorks if you want to have a go on one.

Might take you up on that offer. Just specced up an Aeris how I’d want it starting with the full cheap option but going SLX, Revern, Works expander, stem change, brake upgrade, Yari upgrade etc and its come out at £2200ish which compared to anything else I’ve looked at is staggering vfm. Even the Airdrop at £2500 has SRAM which I’ve never got on with although (and it does matter!) I think the Airdrop is a slightly nicer looking bike.

Keep looking at options I suppose…

Premier Icon nickc

Aye, no worries, just let me know.

I did pretty much the same calc. I thought the Airdrop a nicer looking bike, so I bought a bike/fork/shock combo and specced it myself. I think mine was about £2600 all in with XT/XTR and Mavic wheels. Fantastic value and a bloody amazing bike to ride.

Thats another option as the Airdrop and Bird are £750 for the frame (staggering value) so I reckon I could spec one up myself with a better spec for less if I shopped around. Something to do once I’ve got todays rush of emails over with 😉

I’d take the Giant Trance of that list, nothing the Bird can’t do better IMO.

Hob Nob

although (and it does matter!) I think the Airdrop is a slightly nicer looking bike.

Having ridden the Bird, it does ride nicely, but my biggest issue is it’s absolutely f*cking hideous. Possibly one of the ugliest 150-160mm bikes out there. I could never own something that makes me say ‘urgh’ when I see one.

So for that reason, the Airdrop wins. It’s looks are fairly plain & standard, and thus unoffensive to my eyes.

Oh, and the water bottle mounts are in the right place.

Agreed on the support, I suggested an Aeris to a mate a while ago. He bought one and had a component issue, received replacement next day which is great.

Lifetime warranty sounds good until you read the smallprint: jumping, riding in severe terrain, racing etc may void your warranty. Now I suppose it depends how Bird enforce that and how strict they are but it was enough to put me off. Plus the fact it defines lifetime as what they consider to be the frames lifetime. Airdrop only warranty for 2 years but have no such smallprint. And still do lifetime crash replacement.

I’ve ridden both bikes and they are both amazing, whichever you choose you’ll love it.

EDIT: Fair point on price, I was talking frame only

Benpinnick posted a picture a while ago of someone ‘sending’ an enormous drop/gap on an Aeris over the top of people stood there and a parked truck with the caption ‘this will not void your warranty’. I’d still say the Bird warranty is better. I went for a Spitfire in the end as a great 2nd hand one came up, but there’s a small part of me wishes I’d gone for a new Aeris, purely for the warranty as I have none with the Spitfire!

Premier Icon benpinnick

@daveyboywonder Yes I will be in Hamsterley the weekend of 23rd July if that helps?

On warranty, we’re all riders, we treat our customers how we think they should be treated. Yes our warranty has some exclusions, but thats because its an alu mountain bike, it will eventually break if you ride it hard, that is life I am afraid. If we didn’t have exclusions we’d eventually go bust.

On our crash replacements, I reckon we’re pretty good value: Guy ran his Aeris into a tree sideways last week. Replaced his front triangle, 4 bearings and the labour to frame swap – £300. Cant really say fairer than that.

I bought an Aeris for the lifetime warranty and the fact they (Bird) are so good to deal with. Further helped that organising a days demo was very easy.

+1 good to deal with. A bunch of very nice guys. A decent test ride prior to purchase is also a huge plus. Happy Aeris owner here.

Shouldn’t it be which bike is best for the riding I do and my style of riding rather than which generic “enduro” bike is best value for money?

Best tool for the job within your budget constraints, no?

The reason I asked about the Aeris would (I hope and looking at the other comments suggests other people thought the same) suggest what sort of bike I’m after?

If you want to suggest what £2k’ish XC carbon hardtail I can get though, feel free.

Dave, if it doesn’t have to be new, or a complete bike, I have a Giant Trance Advanced (carbon) 650 frame, shock, forks, headset, stem, bottom bracket, dropper post, and XT front mech up for sale at the moment, size medium. Looking for £1,350 but open to offers.

So you’re asking if there’s another bike that’s as good at being an Aeris, with equivalent spec for less money or a better spec for a similar amount?

I am in somewhat internet warrior arse mode, but does that really make sense?

A 2k carbon HT may be way better for you and the way you intend to use it, how can anyone here answer so without the info?

Also, the 150mm travel bridges a whole range of bikes which are better or worse at different things, you could get a HD3 which will be excellent for big days out whilst having a good amount of travel, or you could get a GT sanction which is the sort of bike that will only come to life on full blown DH tracks. What do you want? What do you do?

Or are you the typical XC rider who refuses to be/can’t be called XC?

+1 for Bird CS 😀

(new owner of Dans blue and pink one-off)

Or are you the typical XC rider who refuses to be/can’t be called XC?

I’m not a bell end if thats any help?

Premier Icon nickc

So you’re asking if there’s another bike that’s as good at being an Aeris, with equivalent spec for less money or a better spec for a similar amount? I am in somewhat internet warrior arse mode, but does that really make sense?

yeah makes sense…”I’ve seen the aeris, seems to be what I want, what else should I be looking at” seems to be the gist of the OP.

what’s the issue?

Well, clearly the 150mm trial bike category is endlessly full of bikes that will pretty much do everything, they can easily be dismissed or added to the pile of bikes to investigate more, not really an issue.

Your internet warrior-foo seems weak… 😆

rico – thanks for the offer but either going to get something new or try and find a 17″ Alpine 160 frame and refresh my current Five build onto that with new drivetrain and brakes.

deanfbm – for clarification, I was looking for a ~150mm ‘trail’ bike with long/slack geometry for some occasional racing and generally just 2 hour rides full of fun stuff.

Having just purchased a Bird Aeris frame and swopped over my components from a Transition 650b Bandit I have to say the Aeris is a lovely handling bike. As I have swopped everything over including the Pike forks it is a good comparison with what I thought was a very competent bike.
    The rear of the Aeris is so poised, whether it be off drop offs, jumps, rock gardens etc, because of the rear traction and stability you find yourself going into stuff very quickly as the rear of the bike remains planted!
    Whilst I have not ridden all of the bikes mentioned I think the Aeris has to be a very good option.

Premier Icon Alex

As I’ve said on other threads, great bikes, excellent service from Ben, Dan and Dave who clearly love what they do (except maybe when they have to build about 11 in one day 😉 ). I’m an average kind of rider, the bike flatters me – which I really notice when I get back on my HT – it’s good at everything I’m interested in from messing about in the woods to big all day epics in the mountains to riding BPW/Antur and most stuff in between.

Nick’s AirDrop looks really nice (seen it in the flesh). Hard to see how you’d be disappointed with either. One thing I really liked about the bird is I could ride a M (5ft11 short legs) with a 150mm dropper and get enough top tube length for being gibbon-like from the waist up.

Premier Icon uberscott

I recently changed from an Alpine 160 to an Aeris. The Alpine was my only bike, and in that regard the Aeris is a much better match for my riding (mainly trail centres, occasional BPW/Cwmcarn/Aston Hill DH, the odd all-day epic).

On climbs there’s no comparison – the Aeris absolutely nails it. On the downs, it’s more lively than the Alpine. It encourages you to pop & flow over features, rather than battering through them! I guess that’s more a question of personal preference when it comes to descending style. So far though, I’m finding the Aeris ridiculous fun, and a much more rewarding bike to ride.

All signs are pointing towards an Aeris… Good about the comparison with an Alpineas thats (kind of) the other option – to find a very later 26″ A160 and transfer all my current parts over and this too will be my only bike.

May have to have another word with the wife and then get in touch with Ben etc about sizing.

I bought an Aeris without a test ride as I’m in the north of Scotland and Swinley forest is a long old drive!

The guys at Bird were more than happy to put up with my ridiculous questions, advised me on the right size given my measurements, and I’ve ended up with an amazing bike for a brilliant price! Could not be more happy with mine, it’s so well balanced, climbs brilliantly and descends even better.

The warranty is also a big bonus, but I don’t plan on selling the bike any time soon so the transferable bit of it might not be of any use to me! 😉

deanfbm – for clarification, I was looking for a ~150mm ‘trail’ bike with long/slack geometry for some occasional racing and generally just 2 hour rides full of fun stuff.

To add some context to my purchase, I rode a Saracen Ariel 151 and wanted something similar again, but climbed a little better.

I’ve owned (and loved) Oranges in the past and was pretty set on getting another Five. I even test rode a Five and an Alpine at Cwm Carn to sort out the sizing. Ultimately I wanted a fun bike that could climb to make the most of the Isle of Wight’s sawtooth profile geography, as I’m riding less in foreign climes now I’m a Dad. However I still aim to get to British mountains a few times a year, so it had to be pretty versatile.

I know a few Bird owners and Bird are not too far away, and I’m all for supporting British business, and local business even moreso. A muddy Swinley night time test ride (thanks Dan) proved the Bird climbed well and was fun to ride, and as said, the guys are brilliant to deal with and put up with my faffing around size with great aplomb. For less than the cost of a second-hand mk2 Five frame I bought a brand new Aeris with warranty – it became a no brainer.

If I’m splitting hairs I’d say the Saracen is a marginally more fun bike on the descents, but there’s really nothing in it. In case it’s not obvious I am also a massive fan of Orange (and a previous owner of several) but at this precise point in time have absolutely no regrets buying the Aeris. This may change after the first bearing service, but that’s a bridge I’ll cross when I get there. 😉

I drove down from North North Yorkshire to Bird HQ at 4AM for a test ride. Worth it.
    If you can’t make Hamsterley on the 23/24th, you can have a go on mine (Medium) if it’s a suitable size.
    I fell in love with my friend’s Enduro Expert carbon thing… and nearly bought it but it was 26″ and I fancied a 27.5 because reasons.

I rode a few other bikes, including a Trek Remedy and some Scott thing, probably a genius… and since I bought it a Capra and a Cube Stereo HPC…. still love my Aeris the bestest. It just seems to float over things, and feels super stable, perhaps because it’s so long/slack/relaxed. It just makes me grin ear to ear when i’m riding it, even though I’m a fat, unfit mess at the moment.

Took a bit of setting up the suspension to get it feeling just right but once you do (and even before) – it’s just lovely.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris – Anything As Good For The Money?’ is closed to new replies.