Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Gletress Seven course
  • richmtb

Anyone get any inside info on the course for Saturday?

450m of climbing in 11km will mean it will be pretty tough – 10UTB had about 300m of climbing in 16km

Looking forward to seeing what new sections they create for the race.

chrisdb
    Free Member

According to Hub site –

Cardie Hill climb (climb to Buzzards), Zoom or Bust, Blue return, and Blue Velvet will be used for the race so will be closed to general traffic-diversions will be in place. Trails all open Sunday as usual.

So if it’s start/finish at the Hub assume it will go up the fire road at bottom of Spooky climb?

11k isn’t that long – what is the Hub > Spooky bottom in height gain?

Diane
    Free Member

Lots of stuff you probably won’t have ridden before plus some newly built – make sure you are there folks! 😀

I did get the ‘inside info’ but I forgetted it 🙄

radoggair
    Free Member

wont be there cos of a dam wedding . Got 3 this month and 1 next month.

Do people not realise how important biking is to me. Have a wedding on a Thursday ( wait, training that night with the bunch), a wednesday for gods sake. GGrrrrrrrrrr

mc
    Free Member

Going by my GPS plot from the weekend, somebody has taken the peak height instead of the total height climbed!
    It should be nearer 250m.

If I was to describe the track, I’d say Pure evil brilliance.

richmtb

It should be nearer 250m.

Yeah I did wonder, the whole of the red route has around 450m of climbing (There is a about 350m height difference between the Hub and the top of Spooky Wood) and its 18km, so the same amount of climbing in 11km would have meant for probably a lot of steep fire road.

Any way I’m looking forwaard to it. Hope there is some nice techy singletrack on the way down

balfa
    Free Member

If its finishing into the field at the bottom, I imagine it might take in some of the horsey trails below road up to buzzards plus a little bit of new stuff to link them. Sounds like a great course. Zoom or bust is ace although the roots might get a couple of victims in the wet.

mc
    Free Member

I don’t think I could handle anymore steep fireroad than what’s already in the course!

There’s nothing too techy, but plenty nadgery descents to keep you on your toes, combined with some classic flowy bits, and two major climbs which combine to make a brilliant loop.

richmtb

Where’s “Zoom or Bust”?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Up towards the black where the red and black split at the freeride area and zoom or bust is down on the left. Very easy to spot.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

WTF is a nadgery descent?

richmtb

Up towards the black where the red and black split at the freeride area and zoom or bust is down on the left. Very easy to spot.

Yep think I know what you are talking about now joins where the old green skill area used to be?

hels
    Free Member

Nadgery = cornery and twisty with added roots.

Basically, it’s a long hard technical route, especially when you go down “the growler”.

richmtb

So hels, how techy is “the growler”?

Are we talking “Pennels Vennel” or “The Bitch”?

hels
    Free Member

It depends on the amount of rain, really, and personal preference. Some say it rides much better in the wet.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Is it all wheels on the ground stuff? Was hoping for some jumpy droppy bits.

richmtb

Me too, its the only thing I’m good at!

Shirley the dual slalom section towards the end will have a couple of jumps!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

nadgery=the kind of thing you usually walk down.

hels
    Free Member

Zoom or Bust used to be a lot more Nadgery, it’s been sanitised a bit recently, some of the big up and over roots have been cut out (the horror !) But wide smooth hard pack with bermed corners, it is not.

hels
    Free Member

And I am sure it will Rich, but don’t call me Shirley…

jordie
    Free Member

please dont let there be any “fresh cut or new natural sections” or anything else that turns to mud then gravy after 5 drops of rain.A course that will last all day if when it rains.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

is it a figure of 8 circuit?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

richmtb – Member

Me too, its the only thing I’m good at!

Shirley the dual slalom section towards the end will have a couple of jumps!

Mr Gracie, how are you getting on?. Ain’t seen you in a looonnggg time, need to get out soon, Greg here btw, remember?. I was out with you way back when. Used to ride with an angry ginger geordie!.

Northwind

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

WTF is a nadgery descent?

When your balls drop.

richmtb

Mr Gracie, how are you getting on?. Ain’t seen you in a looonnggg time, need to get out soon, Greg here btw, remember?. I was out with you way back when. Used to ride with an angry ginger geordie!.

Hey Greg yeah I remember back in my dayglo Gary Fisher hardtail days!

Drop us a PM and we’ll catch up are you coming to Glentress?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Yep think I know what you are talking about now joins where the old green skill area used to be?

That’s the one.

grantus
    Free Member

Zoom or Bust?? Never knew there was a trail down that way – always that that was a little practice loop in there that brought you out at the top of Janet’s(?) Brae/Buzzard’s nest car park?

When did that all change? (only been at GT once this year and it was an aborted trip due to a friend becoming unwell).

Loved the new blue sections though that we tried

mc
    Free Member

Z’o’B – http://www.vimeo.com/13610830

Not all of it is in the GT7 course though…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

zob is a little further along the forest road than the skills area. you pass a walkers path on the left and its a little further on. if you get to t black route single track you have gone too far. it hasn’t really been sanitised, just had a bit of a tweak because it was so churned up in places. still plenty tricky when its a bit damp.

Diane
    Free Member

Sorry Steven – I beg to differ

hels
    Free Member

I’m with Diane.

In fact, I remember well the first use of this in the SXC course a few years ago which was why it was built, and it was well tricky, big exposed droppy roots.

It has bedded in and widened of course, but some roots have been cut out and gravel thrown down. Rides much easier than it used to – and if anything I am less capable than I used to be.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

these things will get easier when people ride round obstacles rather than over them which then means you have to go back and work on them. but i do know i haven’t taken any big roots out and its not something we generally do. some of the changes were made if i remember correctly because it hadn’t quite turned out the way Andy had wanted it to. he had wanted a more flowing trail iirmc. these things evolve, doesn’t mean to say they have been sanitised. and I’m sure you are both better riders than you were which also makes things seem easier. its still great fun which is all that matters.

hels
    Free Member

Perhaps the roots weren’t really Big – they were just Far Away…

mc
    Free Member

I agree with Diane and Hels.

ZoB is the only time I’ve ever walked away from a trailbuilding session.
    I’d agree that it needed some tweakage, but what got done has taken away much of the technical aspect which made it a challenging trail to ride fast. I’ve only ridden it twice since, and it’s no where near as interesting a trail to ride.

Northwind

Yeah, have to say I agree with that too. It’s “nicer” but it’s definately not as interesting. I thought it needed a wee bit of drainage, maybe a bit of scraping, and some of the shortcuts sorted and that’s it

Northwind

Anyway… I missed all the building, I’m wondering how bad an idea it’ll be to bring the rigid? Advantages- weighs nothing. Disadvantages- it’s s**t.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bring the rigid. it won’t be as nice but it will be more interesting.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

pmsl

Northwind

stevenmenmuir – Member

it won’t be as nice but it will be more interesting.

The same could also be said of the clap though.

chrisdb
    Free Member

The chat I’m getting is that the second climb will be a bit killer.

Descents look fun though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Gletress Seven course’ is closed to new replies.