Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glentress (+ nr Edinburgh) Accommodation recommendations?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Hello, fellows,

A total of about 10 of us are heading up to Glentress early September, and want some good accommodation that is fairly close to the trails, but also convenient for going out in Edinburgh, so likely a fair bit closer to the city than the trails.

Obviously needs to have the space for us and our bikes. Anyone got any top tips?

Cheers!

theflatboy
    Free Member

anybody? 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kinda odd question – most ask for hotels in Peebles.

GT is only 45m drive away so I'd be looking for something in Edinburgh if the nights out are a priority.

theflatboy
    Free Member

point taken – it's a stag weekend, you see, but not an oi oi banter type one, more biking in the day and a couple of nights out. so ideally will be closer to edinburgh than the trails for getting in and out of the city for the nights. but also will be taking our bikes so a cottage sort of deal would be preferable. don't expect there'll be places actually in edinburgh with bike friendly storage etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd have thought you should look to the outskirts of the city then. Easy drive to gt and cabs into town. Plenty places are iffy about large all male groups unfortunately.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I did that for my stag do last year – first night in the Peebles Hydro Hotel (mtb special deal £50 pppn b&b – very much recommended) with a day riding either side, then drove to Edinburgh (less then an hour) and stayed at a Premier Inn just on the outskirts, 5 – 10 minute bus ride into town. Cracking weekend. The Long Drop pub in the Grassmarket has nice ale. Plenty of others too, probably, but things got hazy after that point…

theflatboy
    Free Member

that sounds pretty good – cheers! quite tempting, only issue is we're planning on getting there fri and staying til mon, with riding sat and sun…

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

have a look at http://www.visittweedvalley.co.uk 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

very useful andy, and thanks for the suggestion. at the moment, though, we're clinging to the potentially impossible dream of a bike-friendly, self catering setup around 5-10 miles outside edinburgh itself…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glentress (+ nr Edinburgh) Accommodation recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.