• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any Firefighters? What's the job like?
  • alanf
    Free Member

I've been thinking about changing careers for a while (currently a bored office monkey) to something a bit more active, and to give something back to the community.
    I don't know why but I can't seem to get away from the idea of being a firefighter.
    So what is the job like and how enjoyable is it?

uplink
    Free Member

Don't resign. it'll save you finding a 2nd job

😉

firestarter
    Free Member

used to be better but still great 🙂 mail me if you want any specifics . Where are you based?

grantway
    Free Member

A client of mine is one and loves the job and
    feels great saving lifes but has to deal
    with the lifes he dont save.
    Politics of the job is crap but would not change his job.

Jeremy
    Free Member

Had a few sessions at a firestation as part of DofE. everyone there loved their jobs but i think it might be a bit hard on family as you're on for a couple of days then off but not as bad as the army in that respect.
    there was an extensive waiting list at the time (3 years ago) and now with the recession i suspect its going to be an even longer list.
    nice job/team environment/rewards tho

bruneep

Been in job 19yrs, currently a CM going for WM exam next month, the job has changed immensely is the last few years some for the good some not so.

Its more focused on risk reduction within the communities. Forget the image of sitting about on your arse watching TV or playing snooker, those days went years ago.

Email me if you want more info.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

MrFC is a firefighter in Barrow-in-Furness.
    It's very quiet as far as fires go. I know this is a good thing, but he gets pretty bored. Most of his days are spent doing home-safety checks, putting up smoke detectors and working with school kids.

I know he's had a good day at work when he's had a fire to put out…which is not often! 😉

mickyg
    Free Member

uplink, you forgot about the hours playing snooker, pool or darts so no doubt the OP will be able to turn professional a year later, oh and don`t forget to mention the gallons and gallons of F*****g tea he will be able to drink whilst doing **** all sat round waiting for another cat which requires rescue. No doubt the short piece of advice you have offered Alanf will be a tremendous help in his quest to find a new occupation.

mrchrispy

how are you at building conservatories?

firestarter
    Free Member

just noticed you in yorkshire . Im in west yorks and we have just began a five year period of no recruitment and i know south yorks are in dispute at the min . Good luck tho mate.

DT78
    Free Member

I think you need to do a google on whether any agencies in your area are recruiting. No chance for me. Best bit of advice I got was to try to go down the retainer route to try it out until vacancies do appear, however for me the only ones with vacancies for retainers are out in the sticks and not close to my work or home.

Good luck with it, I'm keeping an eye out and will apply when (if) the recruitment freezes lift.

alanf
    Free Member

Cheers folks – all comments appreciated 😉
    Not sure of the S Yorks situation as they have recently (last weekend) done some awareness sessions for joining (shame I phoned them today!) so will just keep an eyeon whats going on with them

Mick / Bruneep I'll drop you a mail for some more info

Cheers

uplink
    Free Member

There's a big sign up outside Howarth fire station that says something like 'Recruiting Now'

firestarter
    Free Member

i know our brigade really used to avoid taking retained whole time as they then had to find new retained . And by the nature of a retained station its out in the sticks and getting hardly any jobs 🙁

firestarter
    Free Member

we have vacancies in our brigade at three retained stations but you have to live within two mins of the station. Good cycling areas tho in calderdale if you fancy a house move

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Still a good job, even if not quite what it once was.

As other posters have mentioned many services are freezing recruitment because of the demand to cut spending. As wages mage up about 80% of fire services budgets it's a no-brainer where the savings will come from.

Ti29er
    Free Member

One idea to get them to reasses recruitment:

Do as the Army does. If you're bored, or all your budget is going nuclear with the Navy, go and have a good old punch-up in foreigh lands for a few years!

I'm not suggesting you set fire to every city in the land over the next few months, but….. 😉

FFJA
    Free Member

Its a great job mate, i'm North Yorks

elma
    Free Member

I've been in Tyne and Wear for 17 years now and i still look forward to going to work every shift.

If there is no recruitment going on in your local service , look at the community safety departments ,its a good way of getting in to the service and would put you at a great advantage come the next round of recruitment.

Iain

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

The job is a good one. Far from the job I joined some 15 years ago but as has been said some good changes others not so good.
    You'll be lucky to find a brigade taking anyone on in their ops dept as they'll be too busy bringing in more civies to do meaningless support roles. 😉
    Joking aside, there has been major funding cuts (as everyone has been suffering) and as such they have no money to take on new starts. They'll just leave the waiting list to run out.
    The job is so much more 'corporate' now with shift officers/managers riding a desk most of the day (which got to me so much I'm going back to FF!) and the quieter stations the FF's spend more time sticking up smoke detectors, chasing targets than training or attending incidents.
    If you can get retained then it would be advantageous. I am wholetime and retained and my brigade is very keen to have guys serving dual roles.
    In preparation for application get yourself to college and do nationally recognised supervisory management qualification as they're lapping that kind of *hit up nowadays. 'All brains and no common sense' is the new tradesman for the fire service! We are seeing more and more people leave the job with only a few years under their belt. This is either due to being disillusioned with the job or it's just a nice thing to add to the life experience thing on the CV. Changed days indeed!
    Again, any info needed my email's in my profile.

Cheers

Paul.

Drac

Documentary here click to find the bigger version but it is big.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any Firefighters? What's the job like?’ is closed to new replies.