Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Glen Garr
  • WackoAK
    Free Member

Anyone done this route from the Kenny Wilson book?

Looking to also take in the optional Birnam Hill part of the route.

Cheers

beinbhan

good route can get over grown with bracken later in the summer

WackoAK
    Free Member

Thanks – going to give it a go this weekend so hopefully that's not an issue.

islander

Did it last summer. Not a bad route but quite a lot of junctions to find I found. Had a few wrong turns and got lost a couple of times but prob just me thats rubbish at following the instructions. I parked at Rumbling Bridge and started from there which was straight onto GlenGarr which was fairly easy going.
    The section back into Dunkeld good fun and pretty good up out of Dunkeld toRumbling Bridge. Missed out Birnam Hill due to shortage of time. Well worth doing.

geoffj

It's a reasonable route, but It can be much improved by including bits of Birnam Hill, a track from Bankfoot to Rohallion, avoiding much of the road climb and an extension into Craigvinean / the Hermitage.

I'm not sure which way KW recommends, but I prefer the N to S over Glen Garr.

I've got some GPX tracks on bikely. I'll try and find a link to them.

LD
    Free Member

Great route as per Kenny Wilson's book. Good variety of surfaces and not overly technical. Ground is fairly dry as at a couple of weeks ago but would not recommend so much after a wet spell.
    Tips – take right fork of track from Gelly to Kingswood. Track from there to Bee Cottage is tricky to find but easy road diversion.
    I always start at Bankfoot since I am driving from the South.
    Birnam hill is interesting. I climbed up the back and down the front path which is a real brake cooker, literally. Constant gradient which is steep!
    Might be better to push up front and descend the back side but not tried this.

Garry_Lager

I did it a few years back and liked it a lot – Birnam woods are good to ride in. It is fairly straightforward, though. I did it with my wife who was fit, but technically a real beginner. So you might want to look into adding something in the woods if you're after a bit of excitement.

WackoAK
    Free Member

cheers for that, I've got the OS Explorer map of the area and looking at it made me think of doing a similar route as to what you posted.

acorlett

Second all the above – a really great route just as it is. A little bit of everything in it.

Did it on Sunday though, and have to mention that the path is partially blocked just before you get to Ossian's Folly by fallen trees. FC have officially shut the path around that area, but you don't know until it's too far to turn back. You can clamber over the fallen trees (as I did), but might not be brilliant with little ones or less adventurous partners!

Glen Garr singletrack is as clear of overhanging bracken as it ever has been – a great run, and fairly dry as of Sunday.

acorlett

I can't remember if it's actually part of KW's route, but once you've gone past Rumbling Bridge, take the second singletrack exit on the left – it's a short, sharp climb up to the Rumbling Bridge car park – then head off to the left handside of the car park and follow the rooty singletrack down, over a couple of bridges, then up to come out on the A road exactly opposite the LRT that heads up to the Glen Garr turnoff.

Adds an extra bit of rooty technicality to the ride!

geoffj

acorlett are you local?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Glen Garr’ is closed to new replies.