• This topic has 310 replies, 125 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by llama.
Viewing 31 posts - 281 through 311 (of 311 total)
  • Glasto on the telly
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I thought Biffy sounded like a slightly heavier Foo Fighters.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Biffy = Loud, Shouty, Tattoos, Noise?

That’s them, are you new to this? 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

But not as loud, shouty, tattooed, noisy on record.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No in fairness, I think they get the producers to hand out the Nytols in the studio.

Ducking mentalists live though.

jimster01

Thing with Ed Sheeran is no banter, just one song into the next, quite bland.

zippykona

I know little about him but I assumed he would rustle up a band to make it more of a spectacle.
    I’ve seen better in a pub.

isto
    Free Member

I think with Glastonbury there is always an element of ignore a lot of the shite that’s on…..but there are some gems in there with Songhoy Blues, Badbadnotgood, Warpaint and Thundercat all holding my attention anyway. Switching between Justice and Metronomy now and they are both looking good.

I watched Radiohead and the FF as well and liked both shows …wouldn’t watch Ed if you paid me but I am guessing he is make a whole lotta people happy.

mikey3
    Free Member

Not a fan of ed sheeran but good luck to the bloke,but sunday headliner,i mean c’mon,should have had dolly parton doing a bluegrass set if they wanted a party(ok I’ve gone too far:)

P-Jay
    Free Member

@mikey3

Same, I’ve tried, but his stuff just isn’t for me – it’s all too much of an easy cliche, BUT I’m 40, it’s not for me, it’s for people half my age and younger.

For years, decades even people have been moaning about the state of pop music, it’s all manufactured, auto-tuned crap ‘sang’ by 4 lads or 4 girls who can’t sing live, can’t write music, can’t play instruments- they just mine, smile and dance in formation – he’s not like that.

Best of luck to him.

greentricky
    Free Member

I like Ed and am finding it dull, zero presence or crowd interaction

Just put Kano on and what a contract, putting on a show and its not my type of music

mikey74
    Free Member

BUT I’m 40, it’s not for me, it’s for people half my age and younger.

That’s the weird thing: It’s music for ageing accountants. I wouldn’t call it music for young people at all.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think youse place too much emphasis on the headliners, the festival is much bigger than that. plenty there to keep yer attention through out the weekend. Dont’ forget iplayer canny show you everything.

There’s space for everything. hohum if something you don’t like gets onto the headline. There’s other options for ye.

johndoh
    Free Member

So I’ve never been much of a fan but for me I think he’s doing a top job. Wish I was there to see it live.

lucorave
    Free Member

Chic have been the best I have seen this weekend. It’s an absolutely incredible roster of tracks Nile Rodgers has at his disposal.
    A Daft Punk, Nile Rodgers and Giorgio Moroder collaboration Saturday night headline set would be awesome.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just caught 2 min of ‘I’m in love with the shape of youeeeyou I’m in love with your body blah blah blah’
    It’s teeny pap that somehow still appeals to middle aged people too.
    An over excited busker with repetitive 6th form poetry lyrics outside smiths in a faded Middle England market town.

jimster01

Given up now, technically good, but he just isn’t engaging as a performer, not that he’ll lose any sleep over it.

tinybits
    Free Member

So much ginger love on this thread!

Let’s face it, he’s one of the biggest selling uk artists, massively successful.

And yet there’s just 1 stw’er that rates him…. it like a Mumford and sons thread isn’t it?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

He maybe massively successful but he’s not particularly interesting or exciting live.

mikey3
    Free Member

Me thinks the London grammer lady has a sore throat,not sounding here awesome self.

franksinatra

Ed didn’t hang around did he?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Even as a 20 yr old attending Glastonbury Festival I remember being unimpressed with most of the ‘big’ acts, enjoying instead the smaller stages and the random pop-up bands and acts that you’d chance across in a funky wee tea-tent at 2am. That said, there are usually one or two superstar acts who still encapsulate the festival vibe on a grand scale.

So 2017 for me so far, and by far (via iplayer) -The Flaming Lips, and Chic. Both bands know how to love a crowd, and this was reciprocated in spades.

mikey3
    Free Member

Just switched to thered button,that guy from kier has a voice on him

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

It’s not until you look back at the full lineup that you realise how many good artists you’ve missed out on.

Thought the Foo fighters were good but wished the whole set had the energy that happened halfway through Times like these, thought a few times when Dave was talking to the crowd just get on with it 😆 The Queen cover was good though when him and Taylor swapped places though.

I liked Ed sheeran’s early stuff like Lego house & the A team but just find his newer stuff a bit dull, but as others have said at least he’s doing all his own stuff which puts him a bit better all the manufactured pop bands around.

I always end up liking somebody that would usually be miles away from my usual music tastes. Last year it was ELO and this year it’s London grammar, their singer has an amazing voice.

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm Chic only seem to have one song on iplayer 😥

seosamh77
    Free Member

Will maybe get added to the full sets tomorrow I’d guess.

CountZero

I’ve seen heard better in a pub.

And that’s a fact. He’s competent, and that’s about it, I had to endure Grimmy on Radio One* playing every single bloody song off Sheeran’s new album, and I couldn’t believe how banal and just plain dull he was, there was no variety or texture, or even any significant emotion, excitement.
    I like to hear songs that give me a tingly feeling down my spine; Sheeran? Just not getting it, and it ain’t my age, either, there are bands/artists as young or younger than him who can wee in his boots without raising a sweat, sadly they’re not headlining Glastonbury.
    But they might be, if anyone pays them any attention.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Whoa – I missed The Killers surprise performance.

I’ll watch that later!

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve always been of the opinion that music festivals should end on a high. Sheeran was more of a whimper.

mactheknife

Just catching up on this on Iplayer.

Katy Perry – a wee ball of wannabe madness. I really like her and her aimed at 10-year old tunes. Good on her.

Royal Blood – Now thats talent. Never realised it was 2 lads on bass and drums.

Ill update more later …..

boltonjon

Went back to Glastonbury for the first time since 2010 – great fun but not as manic as the old days – or maybe that was just me not going as nuts??? 🙂

Avoided all the headline acts on Sunday – the first time i’ve done that in 8 visits

Went to Arcadia and seen one of the best shows ever – much better than that Ed chap

Highlights for me where Flaming Lips, Royal Blood, Barry Gibb, Chic, Foo Fighters and Liam Gallagher – plus lots of other smaller stuff which i can’t remember 🙁

llama

Didn’t see any of the pyramid headliners (as usual)

Highlights for me: Lemon Twigs, Ride, Flaming Lips (wow), KIng Gizzard (when they merged into Masters of the Universe my lifelong Hawkwind loving friend’s head exploded), Killers

Plus, as usual again, all the small stages and random stuff that you have not even the slightest clue about unless you go there.

Viewing 31 posts - 281 through 311 (of 311 total)

The topic ‘Glasto on the telly’ is closed to new replies.