Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Gladiator
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Se that bit near the beginning of Gladiator, when he is about to be executed and he kneels down and the executioner lifts the sword to stab down his back… How does he mange to back head butt hte guy when he is on his knees?

brakes
    Free Member

the only explanation would be that he stands up quickly and butts him on the way up, but in the next shot he is on his knees again. the sword he is to be killed with, which was behind him, is now infront him and easy to grab. he stabs his would-be-killer in the chest, who makes a noise as if he’s had his throat cut.
    sometimes I think rewindable TV is a bad thing…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep just watch the damm film.
    Watching Top Gun with aeronautical engineers is a bad idea
    Building Services Engineers keep pointing out that the Bond Villains lair wouldn’t pass building code xyz
    Next you will be saying that the people who come round to fix the washing machine and find the lady of the house in her undies is not realistic…..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I know, but it makes it really hard to copy when you reenact it with mannequins in your front room

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I remember a colleague (ex merchant navy) picking up on a flaw in a film, telling me a captain wouldn’t steer/pilot a ship. Obviously an ancient passenger liner only inhabited by ghosts bobbing about the sea was acceptable, but the captain driving was a no no.

khani
    Free Member

I hate crap car chases, like Bond in an old Aston racing a new Ferrari… Yeah right…. Bollocks!,,

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah yes, but a Ferrari driven by…

khani
    Free Member

Sexist… 😉 and when you get past the misty eyed Aston nostalgia crap those old DB’s are pretty slow and well.. Old.. With pram tyres, crap brakes and less power than a washing machine,
    [waits for Aston fans to explode]

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I think you should be more worried about the member of the crew that can be seen in the opening battle scene of gladiator.

Harry_the_Spider

…and the gas bottle in the chariot that flips over.

Also, there are fliers on paper and stirrups on the horses. Both before their time.

Whatever, great film.

Drac

Top-tip none of them are real.

martinhutch

My son noticed them playing a clip backwards on You’ve Been Framed last night. Shocked me to the core.

andyl
    Free Member

really annoys me when despite spending millions in CGI elsewhere in action films they neglect to quickly edit out the big cannon underneath cars that flip them up in the air. A couple of frames of the dark underside of a car should be easy to edit. 👿

thered

A Ducati 996 being chased down by a car in the matrix reloaded to mention only one, what utter garbage, drives me mad

Drac

A Ducati 996 being chased down by a car in the matrix reloaded to mention only one, what utter garbage, drives me mad

So in a film where a guy can stop bullets mid-flight, fly, defy the laws of physics in general you get mad about a car keeping up with a motorbike?

ampthill

Motor bikes are really slow round corners though aren’t they.

In Sky Fall why did they call a shot gun a rifle! No excuse for that that i can see

Zedsdead
    Free Member

crap riders of Motor bikes are really slow round corners though aren’t they.

Caher

Wasn’t it filmed near Swinley?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Gladiator?
    Frensham, about 10 miles away.

catfood
    Free Member

In Sky Fall why did they call a shot gun a rifle! No excuse for that that i can see

Because it was an express rifle not a shot gun

ampthill

Because it was an express rifle not a shot gun

Are yous sure. They looked like shot gun cartridges going into it.

I’ll be relieved if your right

Edit

there it is thanks

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Skyfall#Anderson_Wheeler_500_NE_Double_Rifle

Cougar

Do be fair, that was the least of Skyfall’s “you’ve gotta be kidding me” moments.

The problem with these sorts of problems is it pulls you out of the action. A film can be as fantastic as it likes so long as it plays by the rules it sets. When something jars halfway through you go “wait, what?” and disengage from the movie.

Pretty much anytime computers are used as a plot device I want to kill kittens. Bond’ pulling a Janeway by cracking the code when the head of the Intelligence division couldn’t manage it made me put my head in my hands.

Northwind

Tom Cruise on a speed triple being chased down and caught repeatedly by a bunch of guys in a crappy pickup. Oh and obviously all motorbikes in film have the sound effects of an inline 4 being constantly driven up through the revs (can’t remember the film but we got pissed once and counted the up and downshifts and by the end figured out someone was riding a 40-speed bike that must have been going at about 2000 miles an hour)

smiththemainman
    Free Member

“Are you not entertained”

ampthill

One of the Cruise films Mission Impossible 2 I think the bikes suddenly gain chunky MX style tyres for a few shots

But I think that Cougar is right. They key thing is playing by your own rules.

Oh My bigeat hate is The die Hard with the plane

1. The Americans couldn’t locate a jamming single whose origin was North America!!! No they have missiles that can fly back down the signal

2. A plane spends 2 hours circling the airport waiting for the communications to come back on. Even going slowly in 2 hours you’d get to another airport

3. There is a lever on the outside of the plane. When you pull it all the fuel falls out onto the runway. They don’t have those do they?

samuri
    Free Member

never watch the matrix 2 if you know how to hack computers.

In fact, never watch any film about hacking if you know how to hack computers.

apart from ‘hackers’ because angelina is in it.

and she gets her norks out.

and they’re very nice

johndoh
    Free Member

Haruba!

Northwind

Samuri- also Sneakers, because any amount of ropey computer stuff is overruled by Sneakers being ace.

Northwind

And why is the force field generator thing on the flight deck on the outside of that damn spaceship?

Also if the eagles can fly to Mount Doom would it not have been a good idea to do that earlier? (see also: flying to the lonely mountain. Though in that case, at least it was quite funny to drop the dwarves off on the top of a massive peak so they have to walk down- eagles are known for their trolling)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Gladiator’ is closed to new replies.