Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Giving blood
  • rugbydick

I’m going to do something tomorrow that I should have done a long time ago:
    Call the local blood bank and make an appointment to donate some of my claret.

Is there anything I need to be wary of prior to / post donating?
    Keeping off the bike / booze / caffeine? Anything like that?

I need a bit of good karma right now, but I hope I never need any of that blood back!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Drink Guinness or your stout/porter of choice afterwards. Darker the better. It’s a cheap piss-up if you start straight afterwards. 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

no, you’ll be fine. I don’t suffer any ill-effects at all. Give blood, free cup of tea and a biscuit and I’m off about 10 mins after the donation. The worst bit for me is getting the bloody plaster off my arm.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Don’t plan a long ride the day after cos you’ll feel it, but it’s a great thing to do! I’ve done it 26 times and never had a problem

CheesybeanZ

Get it done , eat and drink plenty on the day you donate and you’ll be fine . mine normally takes just over 5 mins , have a cup of tea n a club biccie and your done . 😀

rugbydick

Thanks everyone. It’s one of those things that I’ve (selfishly) always been too busy to do.

I need to change my ways and I’m making the call as soon as they open tomorrow.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’ve always been on the opinion that if you’d accept blood in an emergency, then give as much as you can when it’s not.

Get it done good men!

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I second the advice of not to ride the day after – even better, don’t ride the afternoon after giving blood that morning…….

The nurse said, don’t plan any strenuous activity for the rest of the day – should have listened!!

Do it – I give blood every 4 months, we have the blood bus come to work for the day, so makes donating easy – my view is I’m likely to need some in a bike-related incident (given my injury history…….) so I might as well start banking it now!

A

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve never given blood. Now I can’t, I wish I could.

Good work to each and everyone of you!

solarpowered
    Free Member

Have a laugh with the nurses! They are usually a right giggle and have a wonderful sense of humour – helps you be distracted if necessary. I always take my own goody treat as i don’t find the biscuits do it for me. The tea does though 🙂
    Good on ya!

JAG

I’ve been giving for 20+ years….

It’s easy – just do it. I’ve NEVER had any problems 😀

I think of it like Taxes/National Insurance – if you don’t pay in you shouldn’t expect to get paid out (if you ever need it – let’s hope you don’t).

jamiep
    Free Member

Afterwards, bypass the Club, Blue Riband and Penguin, and go straight for the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Only donated once. Will go again. It doesn’t really hurt, and as a pretty big guy I didn’t actually notice the difference after. Would give more if I could. A very good excuse to surround yourself with pretty nurses.

Flaperon

They’re dragging me in every 10 weeks in a new trial to see if they can get away with reduced donation intervals. I see it as free altitude training, and I get to take the moral high ground as well.

In a similar vein (sorry…) to organ donation, I’ve always felt that if you’re prepared to take the stuff, you should be prepared to donate as well (unless, of course, you’re not allowed).

athgray
    Free Member

I gave blood for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Happened to be passing a sports centre where it was going on. Really easy, good laugh with the nurses. Don’t worry it is fine. I am still wondering on my blood group. Does anyone who has given blood know how you find out?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ask CountZero, he’s probably been doing quite a bit of investigation today.

sprootlet
    Free Member

You normally get sent a letter asking you to donate again and your blood group is on that.
    I’ve also been given a keyring in the past that had my blood group on it so it might be worth asking if they still have/do them.
    Up to 40 pints now and still lie about how much I weigh….

TheBrick
    Free Member

The only side effect I feel is very thirsty in morning so drink plenty of fluid afterwards.

DezB
    Free Member

I donated last week: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/im-bleeding

Just don’t plan to commute on the same day!

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Out of interest do large adults have more blood in their bodies than small people I presume they do.. I am 6’4″ and about 15 stone and have never noticed any affect after giving blood. I have always followed the advice and avoided ridding on the same day as donating.

beefheart
    Free Member

They used to to ‘bleed’ you in medieval times- maybe there is something in it.
    Supposedly giving blood removes some of the iron concentration in the blood- which can contribute to the risk of heart disease.
    Iron can speed up the oxidation of cholesterol, which is thought to increase the damage to arteries, and ultimately leads to cardiovascular disease.

hs125
    Free Member

I used to be a regular donor, but haven’t given blood for over a year now. Partly because they closed down the venue near my work, but mostly because of the near insistance that you pre-book an appointment. It seems now that if you just turn up without an appointment, you will be turned away or told to wait for a couple of hours at least. Being turned away a few times is very demoralising.

hora
    Free Member

Occasionally it can hurt. However the hardest part for me is the test prick at the beginning on the end of your finger.

I don’t do it for Karma. I do it as its an easy, quick way of putting something into society. Something that you may need one day yourself as well.

Well tbh I do it to keep DD topped up.

bazwadah
    Free Member

HS125, I know exactly what you mean. I noticed that even with an appointment time I was often kept waiting. I now donate platelets instead – takes about 90mins to donate but has the benefit of only taking platelets (and putting the rest of the blood back in) so I never feel faint like I used to with blood donation.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve also never given blood and once I’d realised it would be a good thing to do I was (coincidentally) diagnosed with a condition that means I can never give blood!

So if you can give blood please do, people like me who can’t but need transfusions (very likely if I have further surgery) really appreciate it.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Done it dozens of times now including platelets too
    not done it for a while though due to a load of foreign travel but can again now so must get my finger out and book one up.

I usually cycle to and from the hospital to do mine. only started doing it after donating plenty of times so know I’m fine after. I do take it easy coming back and it’s downhill all the back to work. never had any ill affect the following day. good excuse for a treat for dinner nice steak, chips and a pint of dark stuff 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I gave blood for the first time last year. It didn’t hurt, but I felt very fuzzy and sick afterwards, which lasted until the following morning. Cycling home was a really bad idea…

DezB
    Free Member

but mostly because of the near insistance that you pre-book an appointment. It seems now that if you just turn up without an appointment, you will be turned away

You can book online. Surely it’s not that hard to plan an appointment?

http://www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/Search.aspx

29erKeith
    Free Member

Last time I tried to book on-line for a local session it was fully booked, which is sort of good. the website did then tell me I could just turn up and wait to probably be turned away so I didn’t

I will go soon though

DezB
    Free Member

Judging by the pic on the main page, you can opt for the vampire method these days!
    http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/

😯

disco_stu
    Free Member

I always ride to my blood donor sessions as I add it to my commute but I just take it easy on the way home.

rugbydick

Unfortunately the Scottish blood service don’t do online bookings.

I’ve got an appointment on Monday morning though.

29erKeith
    Free Member

At least I’m not alone in cycling

Probably not best done for your first few donation though, people respond very differently.

One of mates who’s healthy has donated twice, both times he felt awful and had to wait a long time before they let him go home. After the second time he was politely told to not come back again. Some people’s body’s just really don’t like it at all.
    good on him for going and giving it a second go too

druidh
    Free Member

I go all feint afterwards – so much so that I’ve been told not to bother in future 😳
    I wouldn’t assume you’d be able to cycle home.

toby1

There is a maximum speed you can cycle home at after – I found this last Tuesday, my heart was racing and I got an ache in my chest. Think next time I’ll just go back to taking it easier!

Drinking lots of water before and after us for the best.

As for booking appointments, it’s no hardship, at the session I book up for the next one, stick a reminder in my phone and job done.

And last session I had to wait a while to get seen, but sh*t if if saves a life what the hell do I care. People take different times to bleed, the staff that work these sessions are doing the best that they can, they are, as has been said all great people and I’m assuming aren’t on massive salaries, they work outside regular hours to make it easier for us – GIVE THEM A BREAK. Nearly shouted that at a woman who hadn’t booked and was whinging about having to wait last time.

bazwadah
    Free Member

Before donating you have to wait 24 hours before doing hazardous activities – rock climbing, skydiving etc. It has motorcycling on the list but not cycling – wonder if this is because cycling isnt considered as dangerous? Surely they should ask “..how rad/gnar are you?” 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m not a great fan of the actual insertion of the needle.

I find this helps: Just before the insertion, take a deep breath. As the needle starts to go in, exhale slowly…

Rubber_Buccaneer

For the OP, read the info they have sent you regarding colds, taking drugs (headache pills etc) in the days before donation so you don’t waste a trip/take a slot you can’t use. Once there the nurses will tell you what to do, it’s nothing to worry about.

Good thing there are people like you donating for no reward beyond a tea and an unhealthy snack 🙂

trb
    Free Member

Good thing there are people like you donating for no reward beyond a tea and an unhealthy snack

Little trb has cottoned on to this and now insists on joining me so that he can blag free squash and crisps.

I’ve got something like 30 pints in the bank – last week I had to do an extra iron test as I’d been fettling the bike and the grease on my hands made the standard test fail – got stuck in both arms!!

I do find it frustrating when they send you marketing mail wailing about the shortage of donors, then I have to wait an hour to donate (even with an appointmant sometimes)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Although it’s not been the same since they stopped providing:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Giving blood’ is closed to new replies.