Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Giving blood
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

I agree with the “if you’re prepared to take it you should be prepared to give it” sentiment. I’ve also just signed up to the Anthony Nolan register. I asked about platelet donation last time I gave blood, but apparently my veins are too ladylike.

Bigsurfer I’m 5ft2 and vary between 8.5 and 9 st and never notice affects from giving blood.

You get crisps after at our donation centre now.

bazwadah
    Free Member

Also they may ask you if you have eaten recently, if you haven’t then you may have to go eat something prior to giving blood. Its best to make sure you are hydrated as this seems to speed up the process and avoid feeling dizzy/ faint. I have been told to avoid fatty foods 12 hours before giving platelets as it changes the quality of the donation (makes it cloudy and darker), don’t know if this is the case with blood donation.
    Rugbydick, I’m sure it will be straightforward and they take extra good care of first timers.
    Well done for volunteering – Good karma on its way to you from whoever get your donation!

DezB
    Free Member

Just before the insertion, take a deep breath. As the needle starts to go in, exhale slowly…

I prefer to watch, its fascinating…
    The ripping off of the plaster at the end is far more painful!

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I use to give blood but due to EU legislation I do not have enough iron; it has to have a high iron content now, I am just normal (apparently). They use to give you a card with your blood group on it not sure if they still do.
    My recommendation is:
    have a snack before hand
    look away when they put the needle in (it doesn’t hurt that way).
    Squeeze your hand slowly you do not want the blood to pour out of you like a gushing tap, more just a small trickle.
    Listen to the advice they give you

MrWoppit
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Just before the insertion, take a deep breath. As the needle starts to go in, exhale slowly…

I prefer to watch, its fascinating…

Sick puppy!! 😀

enveetee
    Free Member

I always try and avoid giving blood on the roadside

bigblackshed

Only advice I can give is eat a good meal about 2 hours before and drink plenty of fluids before and after. The donation team at my sessions give you a pint of water before you donate. And insist that you drink it all. (this has reduced the fainting rate. Which is very low anyway, except for the college students who weigh about 8 stone, don’t eat then turn up and faint!)

Yes, your iron levels do drop slightly after donating, but with a healthy diet will be back to normal within a week or 2. I’ve done a few different trials over the years, double red cell donation, monitoring iron levels after donation, reduced times between donations.

53 donations so far, so they’ve definitely taken more than an arm full.

toby1

bigblackshed – you must have an arm like a pin cushion 🙂

I think I’m at pint 18/19, but I had to have year off after bad behaviour (Africa and India).

hora
    Free Member

I always drink shit loads of water before donation. I think it helps.

if everyone thinks someone else will do it then we may not have healthy stocks in the geographic areas that are needed.

It only takes a wee while as well and then its done for another 3months.

frepster
    Free Member

I like to race the other donors, thinking that how quickly the blood drains out of me is a indication of my superior fitness and heart health over the average human.

I find giving blood one of those activites where it is ok to finish quickly.

next time is number 20 for me.

hora
    Free Member

I like to race the other donors, thinking that how quickly the blood drains out of me is a indication of my superior fitness and heart health over the average human.

I always thought that was higher blood pressure.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I donated once….was told I wasn’t allowed to donate again after they picked my convulsing body off the floor….I think I freaked everyone else out, but it felt like a super amazing far out trip.

They say a teaspoon of blood can save a newborn baby…by my reckoning I saved a hundred babies – job done.

superfli
    Free Member

I must have far too much blood flowing through my veins as I’ve always played a sport of some kind within a hr/s of giving (must be about 20 times now). Indoor footy or squash or cycling, not felt any side affects so far! I wouldnt go running though 🙂

rugbydick

Well, donation all went well and painlessly yesterday. I haven’t even got a bruise from where the needle went in
    And a Tunnock’s Teacake to recover with… mmmm.

Already booked my next donation for 12 weeks time.

bigblackshed

Good man. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Giving blood’ is closed to new replies.