Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Given too much change….what's the threshold for owning up?
  • Pook

Hmm? >£2?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends what shop. A nice local one that may be struggling for business then owe up.

Tesco's – keep it

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There is no threshold, value wise.

If it was a mate, I'd be honest, but otherwise, tough titty. Best I ever got was change for £20, when I'd handed over £10 in a pub.

clubber
    Free Member

Whatever your conscience will allow…

My mate bought a bike from the Bristol Bike workshop for £165 a while back. Paid the guy £180 in £20 notes. We all continued to chat for a bit, the guy handed my mate his change and we left the shop. My mate then realised (well he must have realised before in all honesty) that he'd been given the full £180 back. He went back in and gave the cash back.

soobalias
    Free Member

depends where.

tesco recently undercharged me by nearly £150, i didnt realise their mistake till i had left the shop.

i didnt go back, it was karma.

molgrips
    Free Member

I always say, no matter what.

Cos I'm a good boy.

Pook

It was Sainsbury's

Haze

Sainsbury's are a rip off, I'd have kept it.

Got given change for a 20 once, when handing over a tenner for a £5 can of Red Stripe. No way were they having that back!

jon1973
    Free Member

Got given change for a 20 once, when handing over a tenner for a £5 can of Red Stripe. No way were they having that back!

It will be the checkout girl / boy on minimum wage who get's in trouble for having a short til at the end of thier shift, and a fraction added on to every other transaction to cover things like this. They don't loose out.

meehaja
    Free Member

Once went back to a well known chain of bakers to point out an error with the change I'd been given. Woman behind the counter gave me a proper dressing down about checking change before I left the shop and it wasn't their problem etc etc. I'd given them £10 for my 80p pasty and got change for a £20. Manners gets the cash!

theotherjonv

Put another way.

You buy something from a shop, and when they give you your change back find you have been shortchanged. What's the threshold for pointing this out?

Thieving's thieving, whoever's doing it. And I don't hold with the 'it's Tesco, they can afford it / are robbing swine anyway'. If I broke into Vera Lynn's house and nicked her teasmade, would that be OK because I bet the royalties from her back catalogue could buy her a new one.

sc-xc

not really change, but the bike shop near me took a £500 credit card deposit for a bike they were building for me. I realised in between paying the deposit and picking the bike up that despite writing £500 paid on the build sheet, I had only been charged £50. I went in the next week to collect the bike, pointed this out to the gaffer…and have been enjoying discounts ever since.

highclimber
    Free Member

Thieving's thieving, whoever's doing it. And I don't hold with the 'it's Tesco, they can afford it / are robbing swine anyway'. If I broke into Vera Lynn's house and nicked her teasmade, would that be OK because I bet the royalties from her back catalogue could buy her a new one.

Its not theft if they don't realise in my eyes

clubber
    Free Member

It's victimless crime innit 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Recently walked out of one of the big four supermarkets with a few bits in my hand, daydreaming, without paying…realised, walked back in and owned up…got a bollocking for my efforts 🙄

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't know if it's widely done, but my wages used to be docked by the amount the till was short over my shift. Which was nice. It meant I occasionally short-changed people who were too drunk to notice… 😕

highclimber
    Free Member

I don't know if it's widely done, but my wages used to be docked by the amount the till was short over my shift. Which was nice. It meant I occasionally short-changed people who were too drunk to notice…

Yeah, willful deductions of wages without consent IS illegal.

hels
    Free Member

Lying is lying and stealing is stealing whatever the amount of money. Honesty always the best policy. Thats how I was brought up anyway !

There is no threshold.

yossarian
    Free Member

i recently bought £150 worth of wine and fine food from a posh local supplier and paid by cheque. The young lass behind the till did everything right except when handing me my receipt she also handed me my cheque back!

I got outside and just had to go back in.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

if the person that gives me too much change is an attractive girl, I will own up.

If it's a minger or a bloke with a skin complaint, what's a bit more hardship?

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

hels +1

or to look at it the other way, if you had been short changed what is the threshold for asking for the right change?

molgrips
    Free Member

Its not theft if they don't realise in my eyes

Rubbish. It's theft. Own up to your actions.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It's also not murder if you creep up behind them, and it it definitely isn't rape if she was unconscious at the time.

nickc

At a craft fair a few years back, we were offered a not unsubstantial oak hand made coffee table, ours for £250 if we could take it away there and then. I give him my card details, and he tells me he'll do the transaction once he's back in his shop on Monday. I take one of his business cards, every-one leaves happy. Monday rolls around, no transaction, in fact nothing at all that week, phone of Friday Morning the phone's unanswered. Tried a few more times over the following weeks. Nada.. Still not paid for it.

Is there a time limit on these things?

highclimber
    Free Member

it definitely isn't rape if she was unconscious at the time.

it certainly isn't if you shout 'Surprise' first!

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

A certain member of staff, who (shockingly) still works in the bike trade, once charged a customers card £2.70 instead of £270 for a new hybrid bike. They never came back, I didn't realise til cashing up at the end of the day.
    I suspect he realised almost immediately, but was too embarrassed to chase the customer and ask them to come back. Then he just buried his head in the sand and hoped the problem would go away. Which it didn't, clearly.

Idiot.

Haze

Jon, it was in a club – I've never been charged that much for a can of beer in a supermarket.

They were clearly charging way over the odds!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

It's also not murder if you creep up behind them, and it it definitely isn't rape if she was unconscious at the time.

but they're minor compared with the wrong change. silly jon

jon1973
    Free Member

Sainsbury's are a rip off, I'd have kept it.

….that's the bit I was referring to really, but the same applies to pubs and clubs as well. Someone would have got a bollocking for the til being £10 short after your Red Stripe transaction, and it wouldn't have been the one profiteering from over pricing either.

I never understood why people buy cans in a club anyway. Didn't they do a nice draft bitter? 😉

the-muffin-man

Works both ways IMO – there's been plenty of times when I've been given 50c Euro coins in with a load of £1's and the shops wouldn't take them back when I've complained.

I wouldn't go back for £2.00

Haze

No draft beer!

The Sainsbury's comment was tongue in cheek really, my instinct would've told me to point it out…

which I very nearly did on that occasion, had I not felt they were taking the piss in the first place 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

but they're minor compared with the wrong change. silly jon

It's about being a grown-up.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Someone gives you free money and you give it back?

Does not compute.

molgrips
    Free Member

mor·al? ?[mawr-uhl, mor-]
    –adjective
    of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Big business which earns £millions annual gives you £2 for free, and you give it back?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep.

I'm not that poor that I need it. They made a mistake, I notice it, I am honest and give it back.

See above definition.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Instead of giving it back, donate it to a charity. That must be even more morally sound

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. Or give money to charity anyway.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

But if not giving the money back is technically thieving, is it ok to thieve to give to charity?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

mor·al? ?[mawr-uhl, mor-]
    –adjective
    of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.

I'm a Recruitment Consultant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Given too much change….what's the threshold for owning up?’ is closed to new replies.