Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giro Xar opinions?
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Anyone got one? Seems to be some good deals about. Are they well vented – is the brown better looking in the flesh or a bit diahorrea…. Quite fancy that or the orange, the stock blacks and whites are dearer

honourablegeorge

How often should you replace a helmet? I have a Giro Hex that dates back to around when the Hex first came out.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Best helmet I,ve had inc xen and flux.

£70 at On One at the mo

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RDL-82
    Free Member

Went from a Hex to a Xar, much comfier and cooler IMO, can’t comment on the colours, I got a safe old black!
    Only thing that annoys me at times is the new roc loc fail thingy me-bob at the back, always seems to pull some hair out after use!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Well vented, good adjustment system, peak that works and very comfortable
    If you have a “Giro shaped head” I’d certainly recommend it, haven’t seen the brown but wouldn’t be too bothered about helmet colour personally…….

M6TTF
    Free Member

Got a md range giro from a few years ago that’s been good so I know it’ll fit fine, just the colour now – orange looks good but possibly a bit in your face!

cheers_drive

honourablegeorge – Member
    How often should you replace a helmet? I have a Giro Hex that dates back to around when the Hex first came out.

I have a Hex of that vintage too and I’ve just decided that it’s time to get it replaced as the sticky velcro dots are coming off and the retention system keeps loosening.
    If you’ve never damaged it I guess there is know reason to change?

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

cheers_drive – Member
    honourablegeorge – Member

I have a Hex of that vintage too and I’ve just decided that it’s time to get it replaced as the sticky velcro dots are coming off and the retention system keeps loosening.
    If you’ve never damaged it I guess there is know reason to change?

Not 100% sure about that. That’s what I used to think, till I worked in a bike shop, the advice wasn’t given to persuade me to buy a new helmet or as advice to pass onto customers, just came up in a passing the day conversation, had no reason to not believe it was 100% genuine advice.
    Anyway I was told that you should replace your helmet every 2-3 years as the Polystyrene does start to degrade over time.

M6TTF
    Free Member

The age thing wouldn’t bother me particularly, as long as its not been sat in the sun a lot. Mine is just looking a bit tired hence the replacement. Have to find some to look at locally to see which looks best.

sambob
    Free Member

Get the orange. You know it’s the right thing to do. Better visibility on the roads and all that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My first two went back on warranty. Underwhelmed.

So far so good with the third………

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

always seems to pull some hair out after use!

Its not just me then! And I cant afford to loose much more hair. Or risk getting sectioned for jumping about yelping on the pavement everytime I take it off!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Got one for my birthday back in April..

Great bit of kit IMHO..

Dan1502
    Free Member

http://www.myspokes.co.uk/giro-remedy-carbon-fibre-all-colours-sizes-cheapest-in-uk-free-p-p-2061

£60 here but they didn’t have my size in orange so I ordered one from On One.

honourablegeorge

M6TTF – Member
    The age thing wouldn’t bother me particularly, as long as its not been sat in the sun a lo

Sun? What’s that?

Dan1502
    Free Member

Just received my orange one from on-one and have tried it on. It feels more comfortable than the Athlon it is replacing and the wheel adjustment is much better to use than the slider.

Looks wise, it’s a bike helmet but as they go it looks good and matches my bike pretty well.

zbonty

I pre-ordered one from Wiggle.

Was’nt comfy for me and preferred the older roc-loc. Sent it back and got a Xen from On-One and £40 change!

Thats my thoughts

shortcut

Hi,

Currently running with a Xar after my previous Xen and indeed Specialized something or other got dented.

The Xar is great and the new rocklock seems good. I am also running a current model Hex which similarly is modern and certainly less comfy.

I tend to end up with damaged helmets roughly once or twice a year and do get replacements. Damage usually occurs in head branch knocks or in the car.

cheers_drive

Does anyone know if you can attach a Magicshine O ring mount directly to the Xar? You can with the Hex.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giro Xar opinions?’ is closed to new replies.