Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Girls 20" (wheel) bikes?
  • billyboulders
    Free Member

My daughter turned 7 this week and has her heart set on a little bike. I know Islabikes are supposed to be the best out there but it’s a little more complicated. Me and her mum are seperated and are going to pay half each, her mum (definite non-rider!) will only put in £75-00 and sadly theres just no way I could make up the difference to get her an Islabike – I’ve been around local shops and we’ve managed to narrow it down to either:
    This one (my preference-even though it is Halfrauds!)
    or
    This one
    She’s tried, and likes, both. It’s a long shot I know but anyone had any experience of either? Or suggest anything else? I know I should spend more – I ride a Ragley Ti so I’m fully aware of how much bikes can cost! Hopefully in a year or two when she needs a bigger bike I’ll have a bit more cash and we’ll get a better one then.

Highland28
    Free Member

When my dad was looking for a bike or my little sis he also spent a lot f time looking around. He ended up getting the older luna due its weight and components, it has a slightly better spec than the newer one though. It was a great bike for her to be flying around on and she even managed to get round a few trail centres with it aswell, so no bother there.
    Now that she has moved on to a bigger bike he is wanting to get rid of it, you can let me know if you are interested and I can let him know when I see him next.

binners

When I saw the title here, i was planning to come on and recommend the Carrera. My 7 year old has one and absolutely loves it. Its a ‘proper’ bike. I’m sorry, but that Raleigh looks a bit Mickey Mouse. The Luna is a really decent spec for the money (SRAM drivecahin, Suntour SR forks which actually work!). The frame is nice and low. Doesn’t weigh a ton. That Raleigh just doesn’t look in the same league. I reckon it’d weigh about the same as a car.

I paid full price for hers and thought it was good value at that price. Now they’re seriously reduced, I’d say its a no-brainer. GO for the Carrera

takisawa2

The Carrera without a doubt. That Raleigh looks awful. I couldnt believe how crap Raleigh had become when I looked at their kids range in a LBS.

There’s a Halfrauds 2min down the road from us. I’ll have a stroll down lunchtime & have a look “in the flesh” & report back… 🙂

takisawa2

Here you go.
    Cracking bike for the money, really smart looking. Its about the same weight as my lads Islabikes Beinn 20 small. That one in my local Halfrauds was still full price. And the forks actually had some damping!!!

Carrera Luna by pten2106, on Flickr

binners

It is indeed very smart looking, as young binners number one will testify. It acessorises nicely with the addition of a pink Disney Princes bell, to tinkle at your little sister if she gets in your way, scooting along on her Islabike 😀

billyboulders
    Free Member

Thanks all. It was while she was out with her mum that she saw the raleigh, I agree the luna is a much better bike, and I managed to persuade them thats the one to go for – just finished putting it together and it’s being test ridden round the garden now!

Thanks again for your replies – it was your recommendations that helped me sway them toward the better bike 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Girls 20" (wheel) bikes?’ is closed to new replies.