Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Girl upgrading bike – help needed!
  • disc-brake-diva
    Free Member

I’m currently riding a Kikapu Deluxe and need a little advice what to go for next. So far the choice is between the Anthem X2, Meta 4 or Fuel EX 7. I took a demo Trek 9.9 out yesterday and absolutely loved it, unfortunately at that price I can only dream! So any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations would be really appreciated. Cheers. 🙂

james
    Free Member

I’m assuming the Fuel EX 9.9?
    I’d avoid the EX 6.5 and stick to EX7 (though heavier than an EX9.9) or above as the suspension design is supposed to be a lot better

At that sort of price I’d also look at a Specialized FSR XC Pro at £1400ish, is supposed to be 27.5lbs and comes with rockshox rebas (better than the treks recons) as well as other good kit. I’m not sure if theres a ‘WSD’ version though

There’ll be loads more to look out for

zaskar
    Free Member

Who cares if you’re a girl? you’re a rider! Unless you want other ladies opions instead :O)

Define your riding style-xc racing or trails etc.

The Anthem is a great xc racer and standover is great and I have seen ppl take it to Afan/Wales etc.

How much travel do you need? Budget? Frame only or complete bike?

Lot’s of options.

I like the http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/ range.

:mrgreen:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grumm
    Free Member

Get a Lapierre, they’re purty.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

My girfriend didn’t want a “girlie bike” so i helped her choose her first mtb and we went for the Specialized xc comp mens and she loves it and fits her perfectly .. Go for what ever suits your riding !

bowglie

I’d agree with the comments about trying to get a bike to suit your riding style – also worth considering the type of terrain that you’ll most often be riding on.

My wife’s currently got a womens specific Spesh FSRxc (2005/6 model) which she likes. However, I had an Orange Five on demo over the weekend – she had a go on it and absolutely loved it (had a job getting it back off her!).

Having ridden the Five for a few days on different terrain, I’d certainly recommend a demo. Don’t dismiss ’em on their appearance – as I have previously 😳

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Agree with all the comments above. I have ridden MTB’s for 15 years and until 1 month ago have NEVER had a women’s specific bike. had a Kona Fire Mountain for years, then GT I drive full susser and a Giant Reign 2. Got a Cube hardtail women’s spec about 1 month ago .. love the bike but don’t notice any difference geometry wise from any of the other bikes I’ve ridden over the years.

MOJOK
    Free Member

My wife is on a girly pink Safire and loves it. We paid $1750 here in the colonies.

Ginormica
    Free Member

I wouldnt go for a commencal…..yeah they’re bloody awesome bikes…but you’ll be getting a nice shiny new one in a matter of months…everyone i know who has bought a commencal XC has had a crack, and they’re not small ones either :/

Bunnyhop

I don’t get this ‘I don’t want a womans specific bike’. You need to get a bike that fits, feels comfortable and is fit for purpose ( I love that saying).
    It means trying both male and female out and playing around on them.
    Personally I have one of each.

Hairychested
    Free Member

My wife rides a Scott Octane full-sus (mens) and a Fisher something (mens). Both are fine for her she says. Test ride as many as you can, choose the fittest one (bike, not a bike seller 😉 ) Have fun!

cinnamon_girl

Well said Bunnyhop! Try as many as you can and don’t forget that it’s always worthwhile posting on here to see if there are any STW girlies that will let you try their bike for size/fit.

What specifically are you looking for and what terrain will it be used on?

NZCol

Like all ‘persons’ ladies come in a variety of sizes and shapes.
    A few things you might want to think about though from experience:
    1) What shape are you ? Mostly legs/mostly arms/short torso/long femur etc
    2) What do you weigh – has a dramatic effect on your shock settings and how ‘active’ they can be. I have seen 50-60kg girls riding guys bikes with very little or badly setup shock pressures, so bad they find it incredibly hard. So look for something perhaps women specific if you are little and light as these _sometimes_ have compensations for this specific reason and also slightly different geometry in certain cases
    3) What do you want to use it for and byu someting fit for that purpose.

fwiw i have spent a lot of time working with the giant range inc the Anthem W which (here in NZ anyway) had a superb spec for the money and fitted the long legged/short torso wife of mine. Shock pressures easy to get down to something workable for her. It does pay to shop around and ask questions though.

zaskar
    Free Member

If you’re spending some good bucks-Test ride the bike if poss.

Or get a pro bike fit and check the mesurements you get on frame specs thru mail order.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Girl upgrading bike – help needed!’ is closed to new replies.