Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • 'Gifted'… when did that creep into the English language? Or is it me…
  • househusband

When did using the word ‘gifted’ suddenly become used so much? Don’t think it’s an American thing.

That’s ‘gifted’ as in ‘gifted to’ (given) not ‘gifted’ as in child, which in my mind as a cynical secondary teacher can often mean an awkward child with an as yet undiagnosed condition on a spectrum.

SaxonRider

I normally hate the whole ‘verbing nouns’ thing, but it seems gifting has a long and legitimate history.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One advert recently exhorted me to “shop our deluxe gifting range.”

Reader, I killed them. All of them.

Esme
    Free Member

And “hosting” – that’s another one.

wwaswas

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wwaswas wins the interwebz!

Outstanding.

aracer
    Free Member

Hosting as in hosting a website, in an Alien sense or is there some other funny context I’ve not come across?

mefty
    Free Member

is there some other funny context I’ve not come across?

Yes a dinner party. Obviously you were NFI.

bensales
    Free Member

The one that’s currently bugging me is use the of ‘lighted’ instead of ‘lit’.

mattsccm
    Free Member

How about ” for free”.??? That winds me up something rotten.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“In cinemas Wednesday”

I will kill again.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OMFG – language is evolving and we can’t control it to keep it just how we liked it 9 years ago. Forsooth!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Why? and I’m not 100% on gifted/gifting either.

squirrelking
    Free Member

“In cinemas Wednesday”

I will kill again.

Chill bae

neilthewheel

UA woman on the radio this evening talked about having spent “a bunch of time” with somebody. At least, I think that’s what she said, she may have said “a bunch of thyme”. She was American so she could have been referring to ‘urbs.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

What currently boils my piss is everyone feeling “blessed”. Nothing grammatically wrong with it (as far as my English gsce leads me believe), but blessed by whom? I’m pretty sure that most people I see posting don’t believe in a higher power, so who is doing all of this blessing? Did the pope pop round in his pointy had and oblige? If you feel ‘fortunate’ or ‘lucky’ or ‘loved’ just say that, why the religious lingo creep? What next, do you feel “atoned” because someone accepted your apology??

squirrelking
    Free Member

Aw bless…

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Aw bless…

touche

bensales
    Free Member

bensales – Member

captainsasquatch – Member
    Why?

To me it just doesn’t flow as well. I think it’s because the material I grew up as a kid reading always used lit (Blyton, Ransome, etc), but more modern stuff, particularly American authors as that link says, uses lighted.

globalti
    Free Member

Often appearing on this forum is “gotten” instead of got and “smart” instead of clever. I don’t know why people feel the need to adopt annoying Americanisms.

OTOH, I suppose most of the language spoken in the USA came from England….

MrNice
    Free Member

OTOH, I suppose most of the language spoken in the USA came from England….

and sometimes the Americanisms that grate are actually the older form of the language and it’s the British English that has changed

gray

My pet hate is “learnings”. People who I otherwise like and respect come out with crap like “so what learnings should we take away from this?”. I haven’t checked, and frankly don’t care whether this is actually correct. Just, COME ON. Stop trying to sound businessy. We have plenty of ways to say this without sounding like an idiot.

nedrapier

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3OIfuVpocU[/video]

Bill Watterson January 1993

elliptic
    Free Member

“Around” instead of “about” eg. “we’ve been working on some ideas around X”.

Dunno why it irritates me so much, except the first time I heard it was on a piss-boilingly fatuous “leadership training” course that a previous employer sent me on, and all the loathing got distilled into that phrase…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

across the BBC

What exactly was wrong with “on”?

holst
    Free Member

To me it just doesn’t flow as well. I think it’s because the material I grew up as a kid reading always used lit (Blyton, Ransome, etc)

Exactly, shocking that people no longer talk like Enid Blyton characters.

ocrider

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    across the BBC

Because it doesn’t universalize (with a z) the all-encompassing entity?

Everyone feeling blessed on Facebook can do one.

vinnyeh

“The electric” instead of “electricity” as the noun.

Is this correct usage, or informal? Never heard the phrase til I moved here, and it really grates for some reason.

goon
    Free Member

across the BBC

Thank Christ it’s not just me. Keeping or staying across story can FRO too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

“In cinemas Wednesday”

Especially when it is followed up with “January thirteen” instead of thirteenth.

Nobby

across the BBC

I was told this had become their generic term for content rather than listing all of the ways in which it can be seen/heard e.g. Digital TV/Online/Sky/Virgin/Apps etc.

Still don’t see why ‘on’ wasn’t sufficient mind.

ocrider

It’s very Siobhan Sharpe isn’t it.

Cougar

My current piss-boiler is “inbox.” As in “inbox me that report.” WTAF is wrong with “email”?

Exactly, shocking that people no longer talk like Enid Blyton characters.

That might change soon, I’ve just heard they’re doing a film adaptation of The Magic Faraway Tree.

Especially when it is followed up with “January thirteen” instead of thirteenth.

You need a ‘the’ in there also.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My current piss-boiler is “inbox.” As in “inbox me that report.” WTAF is wrong with “email”?

I reckon the “inbox me” might have started on Facebook? Pre-messenger, when threads/posts were being discussed in public, or in for sale posts, once two people want to make the conversation private, one would ask the other to send them a message to their Facebook inbox, which I presume then got shortened to “inbox me” and this has now crept to normal e-mail. At least that was where I first noticed the term. I think I may have used the term on Facebook myself. I try not to get too bothered about language evolving like this though – you might as well try and stop the tide. The useful stuff remains and the crap stuff gets discarded. Verbalisation of nouns is sometimes a fantastic way of being economic with words. Some of it works, some of it is a bit clunky.

across the BBC

Presumably “on” was more suited to when the BBC had one channel and people spoke just like you’d still like them to? 😛

Mackem

I still hate “edit” when referring to a video.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When I come to power, DD…….

GHill

I rather like “off of”. It informs me of the cretins I should ignore.

dallas95
    Free Member

At work the management have started “reaching out” to us instead of contacting us as they used to do. As in ” Your line manager will reach out to you to discuss these changes with you”. I can’t tell the difference but I’m sure it feels better for them. We are a UK company not American.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I ain’t got time for all this shit, I’m off to shop a sale.

andrewy

So something that irritates me is people starting a statement with “so”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘'Gifted'… when did that creep into the English language? Or is it me…’ is closed to new replies.