Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • 'Gifted'… when did that creep into the English language? Or is it me…
  • TomB

Meet with
    Swap out

STOP ADDING EXTRA WORDS FOR NO GOOD REASON! (Please…..)

Nico
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned the misuse of epicentre to mean centre (only better), but the other day I saw it used when talking about an earthquake and they said the epicentre was five km beneath the surface. You can have that one free.

scaredypants

Cougar – Moderator
    My current piss-boiler is “inbox.” As in “inbox me that report.”

Bullshit ! That phrase doesn’t even exist. Unless you mean “inbox myself that report” in which case, fine. Boil away

I hate “refute” when they just mean “deny” but it seems some dick at the OED thinks that’s just awesomization and enrichment of language rather than shite 🙁

iainc

‘flick me an email’ ??

how do you do that ?… 😈

you ‘flick’ a bogey when you pick your nose……

onehundredthidiot

“two times fewer”, half then.

RobHilton
    Free Member

In some people’s minds ‘lift & shift’ is the new copy & paste :/

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Doesn’t that need context? I’d have mortified if they had said two times less though.
    I think I mistook someone on here as being American because they used gotten, I don’t think they were too pleased. I don’t mind these changes too much as long as the perp doesn’t try and defend the mistake as being correct.

scaredypants

Try telling people that your workload this year is around 100% as much as last year – you may get a payrise

Cougar

‘Gotten’ is irritating (outside of the US where it’s the norm), but not as much as ‘draw.’ You know, like the thing you’d keep cutlery in.

onehundredthidiot

Actually o think I subconsciously made it palatable.

Two times less.

Nico
    Free Member

“Draw” is just a spelling error, because a lot of people don’t pronounce the two syllables distinctly. “Gotten” is archaic in English English, but there are times when it feels like it is still needed. Then again many people likely learn their English off of the telly these days (for free) so end up speaking like Buffy.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Ill gotten gains

scaredypants

Rob Hilton – Member
    Ill gotten gains

You’ll get more than just gains, laddie, if that’s the standard of your grammar

kcal

“The electric” instead of “electricity” as the noun.

colloquially often know as ‘lecky’ / ‘leccy’ though..

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ve sent you all an invite to the party I’m curating.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve sent you all an invite to the party I’m curating.

Will we be able to get any decent ales?

squirrelking
    Free Member

but not as much as ‘draw.’ You know, like the thing you’d keep cutlery in.

I keep ma junk in ma draws, damn cougars be crazy…

And yes, bloody annoying it is. I tend not to get worked up about grammar but ‘draw’ is a word that gets to me, always lets a good workshop /shed thread down.

See also ‘edit’. Just because you don’t use tape it doesn’t cease to be a video.

Cougar

“Draw” is just a spelling error, because a lot of people don’t pronounce the two syllables distinctly.

Dude, I’m Northern, I don’t pronounce any two syllables distinctly. I have one the most intelligible efficient dialects known to man. Doesn’t make me bloody illiterate.

I keep ma junk in ma draws, damn cougars be crazy…

The contents of your underpants is really not my concern.

Cougar

See also ‘edit’. Just because you don’t use tape it doesn’t cease to be a video.

See, I assumed “edit” to be “an edited video” as opposed to “a raw video that’ll bore the devil’s dumplings off everyone.”

scaredypants

I suppose next time somebody asks yourself to inbox themselves a report you could say “yeah, I’ll drop you(rself) an/a sick edit tomorrow”

firestarter
    Free Member

I hate the phrase he is good people. It’s one **** person ggrrr…

JulianA
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Dude, I’m Northern, I don’t pronounce anything correctly. I have one of the most unintelligible dialects known to man.

FTFY (smiley no workee in edit mode!)

jimoiseau
    Free Member

See, I assumed “edit” to be “an edited video” as opposed to “a raw video that’ll bore the devil’s dumplings off everyone.”[/quote]

There was a Dan Atherton one on here referred to as an “edit” that was literally 15 minutes of continuous headcam footage. Ruined it for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I still hate “edit” when referring to a video.

See, I assumed “edit” to be “an edited video” as opposed to “a raw video that’ll bore the devil’s dumplings off everyone.”

at some point when I’m finished correcting the internet I’ll make a short film of me making an awesome edit. It will be sick man. Totally RAD.
    WORD.

rone

“In cinemas Wednesday”

Yes, films are released on a Friday.

rOcKeTdOg

“This years colourway”

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘'Gifted'… when did that creep into the English language? Or is it me…’ is closed to new replies.