Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Giant Trance Rocker cable eyelet worn away.
  • doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

The rear gear cable and brake outers attach to the rocker (one each side of the seat post) above the shock on the rear suspension rocker. I’ve noticed for years that the zip tie holding the cable in place was wearing away the eyelet. Well it finally let go yesterday on the gear side.

Bit of a crap design. There are a few options for zip tie-ing the cables in place. Wondered if anyone else has had this and what did they decide to do.

2012 Giant Trance.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Just me then?

jonnrs
    Free Member

Yes it’s a bit crap The same thing is happening on my anthem. Not sure what to do with it when it goes completely

grizzpup
    Free Member

I think you could quite happily drill a small 3mm hole above into the rocker and fire a zip tie through? No?

nuke

Similar wearing action on the chainstay of my hemlock…you’ve just got to stop the brake line/gear outer from moving causing the ‘sawing’ action: little bit of inner tube placed between brake line and ziptie to hold the line firm when ziptie is pulled tight, no more wearing away of mount. This probably applies to jonnrs rather than the doc given he has some mount left

Baffled why you’d notice something like this and just ignore it 😕

cakefacesmallblock

Got me bothered now. Going to check my 2008 trance in the morning.

thepodge
    Free Member

I had this but spotted it early and made the cable tie into a bigger loop so it didnt rub as much. I’d have thought if you file the rocker loop back and just pit a big cable loop round the main bit of rocker

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Truth be told I couldn’t be bothered. I’ll rig something up, I like the drill idea.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

In my garage there is a TranceX, and AnthemX and a 2005 Reign. Thre has also been a 2005 Trance and a 2008 Reign. Cable routing is BAD on all of them. On the AnthemX and the TranceX I run the cables along the hypotenuse of the rocker, so to speak. They are well zip-tied on. Make sure there is sufficeint slack at each end. You do not want back’n’forth movement.

On the 2005 Reign they go down the down tube, under the BB and through the chainstays.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Sugru?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance Rocker cable eyelet worn away.’ is closed to new replies.