Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • giant nrs3
  • hunter
    Free Member

Hello does anyone know were I can get instructions on setting up the rear shock on a giant nrs3

cheers

mieszko
    Free Member

NRS Owner manual PDF
    STW – setting up an NRS without original shock

From my experience with an older NRS without the two shock mounts it's best to experiment with pressures. Use the manual as a guide but set it up to Your liking. Once set up properly with minimal SAG (it should be zero sag but it moves a tiny bit anyway) is a very efficient bike and feels very quick. My felt kind of springy and seems like it will be too hard and bouncy etc but once off road it all rides perfectly and surprisingly well for such an old frame. I felt I'm not fit enough for the bike as it wanted to go faster but I couldn't 😉

[edit] not quick enough 🙁 [edit]

wwaswas

you provided some more helpful advice than me, though so score draw 🙂

hunter
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys thats exactly what I was looking for

hunter
    Free Member

do you know which bottom bracket and crank I need for this frame

Reluctant
    Free Member

Any crank/bb will fit the NRS. If you're replacing both, go for a modern Hollowtech 2 type crankset which is universal.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

If you're going for an internal BB, it's a 68mm shell,axel length depends on the crank. If you're going external, it doesn't matter as you'll set it up with spacers supplied.

hunter
    Free Member

Hi Whats the difference between the two.what type is this and will it fit

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/597502/ or this
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/611761/

wwaswas

I think a 118 axle might be too long – I use 113 on my NRS.

SAint may be a bit weighty for what is, really, an xc race bike though.

hunter
    Free Member

so I need a BB thats 68 x 113 whats the difference with external one.
    is it the crank arms that you saying are too heavy

cheers

hunter
    Free Member

Hi I had a look about is this what I need this and this is the external type

wwaswas

it really depends on what cranks you have.

The two you list are for the first one – an Octalink BB which is specific to certain shimano cranks. The second is a road BB.

They do illustrate the two options – first is axle within the BB and the cranks bolt to that, the second is the axle attached to the crank and the other crank arm bolts direct to that.

hunter
    Free Member

Hi I dont know what crank to get yet I really dont have a clue about cranks or choosing which type to get.

wwaswas

what's your budget?

hunter
    Free Member

Hi as little as possible just to get me away then maybe get somthing better later on.I was going to get a new BB then see if I could get a second hand crank

hunter
    Free Member

about the size is the 68mm the diameter and the 113mm the length of the BB

hunter
    Free Member

I just found out it has been faced to take an external HTII style bottom bracket if this makes a difference

Dancake
    Free Member

Have a look at Sheldon Brown's Bottom Bracket database .

I had an old pair of Truvative cranks that I needed a BB to suit; it told me to get 113 and thats what I did. Worked out fine, with a 50 mm chainline…

hunter
    Free Member

Thanks for the link its helped a bit what I'm still unsure about is theseHT2 BB where is the square bar that the crank arms go onto.and are these better than internal BBs

wwaswas

the axle sticks out the crank itself rather than being a part of the bottom bracket. The other arm then bolts onto the end of the axle.

HT2 is a more 'modern' standard but the actual bottom brackets have a reputation for not lasting as well as the sq. taper ones.

If it were me I'd be lookign at getting a deore HT2 crankset and BB from CRC or soemthing but you would need a couple of tools to fit it properly (but you'd need tools for sq taper too).

it's down to money in the end – you might get soemthing cheap on the classifieds if you put a wtd on there.

hunter
    Free Member

hi I think thats a bit expensive for me I want to spend around £50

hunter
    Free Member

will This be ok

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

yep, thats the one i was about to recommend.

me and my ex both have that one, fits the bill perfectly.

hunter
    Free Member

right thanks to everyone for the help I understand now about the BBs and cranks.
    I see theres other companys like raceface ,easton Ect do BBs the same as the simano HT2. are simano the best one

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘giant nrs3’ is closed to new replies.