Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Giant Hogweed
  • sanctb
    Free Member

Just a heads up to anyone out on a loop in the Surrey Hills ATM.

I was out last Saturday on a pedal and must have brushed up against something nasty.
    I didn’t notice until the following day a rather angry looking selection of dark purple blotches.
    Next day it all turned a little minging to be honest, large selection of blisters that just kept on growing.
    General consensus was probably Giant Hog Weed.
    I have been cycling these hills for years with no problem, so I reckon it’s a combination of being unlucky and this mad growing season we have had.
    Can’t tell you exactly where I picked this up as I didn’t notice it at the time… Maybe Ranmore.

If you do encounter this rash wash with cool water and soap, then take an antihistamine sooner rather than later. If you can catch it before you get the huge blisters healing time is a great deal shorter.
    If you don’t wear glasses get some as it apparently is really not clever if you get it in your eyes.

Chances are you won’t be unlucky but it’s always good to be pre warned.
    🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Good heads-up.

The bad news is you may be left with significant scarring. Maybe someone will be along to advise how to minimise this.

slowoldman

Good Lord is it back? I thought it was a ’70s phenomenon.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Most types of hogweed can cause it, and its sunlight that catylises the sap to cause the blister.

Avoid at all costs. If you know you clipped some, wash the area with water straightaway.

allthepies
    Free Member

Horrible stuff, I had really bad blisters on my arm from just brushing past some of this stuff a few years back.

RustySpanner

It was probably seeking revenge.

sanctb
    Free Member

Yep outside of forearm here, starts at glove line then looks like flicks of sap running up arm.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Oh. I thought this was going to be a thread about a new fat bike or something.

RustySpanner

They seem immune to all our herbicidal battering.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There is some growing slap bang in the middle of a Bridleway near me. It used to just grow about ten metres from the path but has spread in the last few years. It is now just about impossible to pass without brushing against it.
    I’m just wondering who , if anyone, has the responsibility for clearing this froma right of way. I’m reluctant to whack it with a stick for fear of stray juice.

RustySpanner

Strike by night – they are defenceless.
    They need the sun to photosensitize their venom.

rickon
    Free Member

Blimey. I walk through the stuff almost everyday, legs and arms brushing through it… no reaction from me.

Does all Giant Hogweed cause the same allergic reactions?

fruitbat

@ Rusty Spanner

You are a sad Genesis fan and I claim my £5 😀

Drac

I’m just wondering who , if anyone, has the responsibility for clearing this froma right of way. I’m reluctant to whack it with a stick for fear of stray juice.

Environment Agency might be of help.

Blimey. I walk through the stuff almost everyday, legs and arms brushing through it… no reaction from me.

Does all Giant Hogweed cause the same allergic reactions?

Are you sure it’s Giant Hogweed?

zippykona

Back in the day of open back mitts I had a horseshoe of blisters on the back of my hands.
    Looked like satan had visited.

Kuco

When I first started work for the Environment Agency I got some on my arm that caused some blistering. For about 3 years after that the area use to get itchy and some times flame up in the summer but its okay now just got a tiny scar where the worst blister was.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s not the hogweed that causes the blisters itself, the nectar/ poison is uv reactive. Once brushed onto the skin and then you come in contact with sunshine, that’s when it blisters

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Few friends of mine have had some realllly nasty cases this year (all from strimming) scarring all over neck, arms etc. Weird it seems to be a bit of a year for it, I honestly never saw such injuries before, or so many reported.

2014. Year Of The Hogweed. Official.

zippykona

I only found out what my blisters were caused by as a train driver I knew had been warned about the weed trackside and seen the pictures.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Another blimey here. We used to have one in the garden when I was a kid – dad was rather fond of it. He warned us never to go near it but every now and again the football may have wandered that way which led to some daring crawling and stick usage.

slowoldman

fruitbat – Member
    @ Rusty Spanner

You are a sad Genesis fan and I claim my £5

“Mighty Hogweed is avenged”. Another one here.

RustySpanner

🙂

Can’t hang about round here all night, me supper’s ready.

slowoldman

Ouch.

fruitbat

I blame the fashionable county gentlemen with their cultivated wild gardens.

sweepy
    Free Member

I can’t understand how anyone could brush against it, its **** HUGE. Should have seen it a mile off.

amodicumofgnar

It’s running riot in Scotland, not just rivers but along roads / railway lines. Was suprised to see some genius had flailed a load of it on the edge of a housing estate / cycle path in the middle of Glasgow.

Drac

I can’t understand how anyone could brush against it, its **** HUGE. Should have seen it a mile off.

It takes about 4 years to grow to full height.

sweepy
    Free Member

Fair point, live and learn eh?

fettling
    Free Member

Had hog weed induced blistering years ago after bashung my knee on some on a ride.
    I seem to remember the area of skin being prone to blistering in subsequent summers for a couple of years. Factor 40 sun cream worked to prevent this from happening.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Most dissapointing thread ever!
    Thought it was about a new Giant 650b trail masher!
    I was getting excited!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I just google image searched ‘giant hogweed rash’

Alphabet

The bad news is you may be left with significant scarring.

It’s OK, chicks dig scars.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thought this might have been a new model in Giant’s 2015 range 🙂

manton69

Get in touch with your local rights of way officer. They will treat it seriously and it I found them to be very good at tackling hogweed. As others have said it leave the area very sensitive and you will probably have to keep it covered from direct sunlight for a few years.

Lastly do not phone the Environment Agency as they will not be able to do anything about it unless it is on land that they own. They don’t look after any of the rights of way, but do promote the tackling of issues of non native species.

zippykona

Thought I’d better find out what it looks like.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I genuinely had no idea it was so nasty!

seadog101

Don’t go outdoors it’s far too dangerous….!

Dalby forest snake bite!

D0NK

Are you sure it’s Giant Hogweed?

is there a similar looking plant around? Cos I’m sure I’ve seen plenty of that there plant zippykona has posted, no blisters/burns here tho

Dalby forest snake bite!

to get one snake bite maybe regarded as a misfortune, to get three…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Giant Hogweed’ is closed to new replies.