Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Giant Defy composite 3 – help (build is cheap) I liked
  • hora
    Free Member

Test rode a few bikes today. The Defy (2013) felt centred, hooligan, good.

The rest felt nervous but good bits. Question is the Defy has Giant/Tiagra mix of nasty bits.

Anything else out there with the sit up/centred seating that a mountain biker would like?

Go spendy Giant? TCR is different. The Defy was brilliant.

jamieandangela
    Free Member

Hora

Please see my updates at

Islabikes CNOC

munrobiker
    Free Member

Tiagra is fine. As good as 105 from a couple of years ago. Buy the bike that is best, not the kit.

Kryton57

I’ve recently bought a Defy 3 (Alu, 2013 Sora) as a training / winter bike for £679. I can’t believe how good it is TBH. The geo is much more upright than my good bike (Bianchi Sempre Ultegra) and its very comfortable, but seems not much less speedy for what is effectively a much lower rated sum of components. LocalHero who also posts here commented the same about his Carbon Defy.

Go to be the frame that counts, even to 2013 Sora isn’t bad so I wouldn’t be worried about Tiagra.

Thats geo is fairly unique to the Defy IIRC, the next closest being a ‘Dale Synapse.

steve_b77
    Free Member

New Tiagra 10spd is essentially last years 105 so nothing to worry about there & Giant finishing kit is rebranded Easton – or so I’ve been told – so it’s probably EA30 gear.

The wheels will be tough and better than you think as they may use DT internals in the hubs or maybe formula, they’ll last.

Don’t be so snobby

TiRed

Giant like to standardize frames and then adjust fit out to meet price. Aside from the crankset, which does not look great, I admit, there is nothing wrong with 10 speed Tiagra. The Defy is a great bike, regardless of flavour and I commend it to just about everyone. The TCR is a little racier (steeper head angle by half a degree and a slightly longer yop tube)n but my TCR and defy are set up to be the same.

For a mountain biker, I’d go Defy wth compact chainset. If you can stretch to 105 then it’s worthwhile, but Tiagra is just fine.

If you want to try something from another brand; Cannondale Synapse or for race, an alloy CAAD8 race bike. The alloy CAAD8 will get you 105 groupset.

Disclaimer: I own a Defy advanced SL with ISP, and alloy TCR and a CAAD8 for Son1. All are great bikes.

Kryton57

The wheels will be tough and better than you think as they may use DT internals in the hubs or maybe formula, they’ll last.

I didn’t know that, but I’d heard they last well, and the tyres roll so much better that I thought as well, and seem to have a puncture strip on the sides.

I’m not tempted to upgrade anything.

glacier79
    Free Member

Went to buy a defy composite 3 yesterday, walked out with a dc1. Reason been, the difference in price I’d spend afterwards upgrading it to how I’d want it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Though, if I were you, I’d buy a Defy 0 aluminium which will be much lighter. I’d much rather a great aluminium bike than a bottom rung carbon one.

http://www.veloecosse.com/productdetails.asp?productid=29270

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be fair, you’ll be selling it in 1-6 weeks anyway so pick a popular frame size to increase future sell-a-bility

hora
    Free Member

Jamieanangela its a wee bit too much for me (ta though).

“Don’t be so snobby” in one. Compared to the others it looks pauper spec

birky
    Free Member

I got a Defy Composite 3 last month through the cycle scheme at work. First proper road bike, loving it 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

I was torn between the TCR and Defy, ended up with a TCR composite 2. Ultegra/105 mix for a snifter over £1k.

I was a ‘Medium/Large’ in a Defy a, and a ‘Medium’ in the TCR. The TCR has a 10mm longer stem, so they’re almost identical in the different sizes overall – the Medium/Large TCR felt too racy for me.

The TCR is incredibly comfy, and inspriing downhill – it really holds a line well.

TiRed

I’m a medium in both (179cm), but a 100mm stem on the TCR and a 115 on the Defy. The geometry isn’t the biggest difference for mine, the carbon frame is a lot smoother. The alloy feels more rigid!

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got a Defy 0 Aluminium – loving it so far.

It’s lighter than the equivalent-priced Defy composite (full bike), plus you get the benefit of nicer shifting/braking. As I understand it, the Defy carbon is built to be a very forgiving ride, so it’s neither stiffer nor lighter than the alu version. This may be bike-shop talk (I.e. bullshit), though. If I want to upgrade my Alu Defy, I can just get a posh carbon frame / fork so as an upgrade platform I’d argue there’s not much in it either.

hora
    Free Member

Ideal would be Defy composite with all 105. But hey I guess I can on one/ribble upgrade as I go along although TCR spec on Paulscycles idnt that much difference to to stock Defy3?!

The Orbea Orca I tried murdered me from the off’.

superficial that sounds back on. The defy3 felt v.comfy but heavier. re your last line edit/add- I also agree.

Kryton57

If you are getting one get it from Pedal On and bag yourself £130 (for the Defy 3, more for more expensive bikes) of free stuff via thier podium point system. I got pedals, top rated defy specific guards, lubes, tubes and a lock with mine.

Superficial
    Free Member

Just check you know the price for 105 STIs.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity why pick this bike, I went into the lbs to see the defy compact but came out thinking a spec allez sport to be a much better deal?

Toasty

Anything aimed at comfort/distance would feel similar, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane etc. Most brands have one. The Giants are fantastic value though.

If you don’t want to spend more on a higher end Composite, they do make top alloy frames as well.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.0/11833/65276/#specifications

To the above poster, the Allez is a stiff racey frame, totally different to a Defy. It’s more in line with the TCR SL bikes.

Rscott
    Free Member

I bought the second hand cube areil of the Classifieds from 2008, thinking i’d upgrade to 105, but in all honesty, i changed the cables and its slick. (2008 tiagra) I wont be changing them till they brake.

Superficial
    Free Member

I wont be changing them till they brake.

They don’t brake? 😯

Rscott
    Free Member

Break sorry.

But I don’t really know using them’s over rated, they seem to slow you down which is bad form. (not that I’m fast)

jamieandangela
    Free Member

Shimano group sets are based on the top of the range (Dura Ace), as they step down the mechanical interaction is less, the quality is less and the technology is less. Tiagra is below 105 for a reason…..just look at the cost and weight difference between the two group sets….save up a bit more dosh and go for a 105 equipped bike is my advice or one of last year’s models that is Ultegra equipped (that stuff is bomb proof) and has been discounted a fair bit.

If you want “a good bang for your buck” it is worth looking at the Merida brand of bikes they offer a lot and generally their prices are extremely keen against the other top brands.

hora
    Free Member

Pitchpro I didnt pick it. I wouldnt have. I rode the Orca Orbea. Didnt like and was given the Defy. One thing I liked- stand up pedalling and I felt very centred in the bike. Really liked that assurance (?)

hora
    Free Member

Defy 0/1 alu- same geo as the 2013 defy3? IF so I’ll go that way then. Why? First great road bike with easy upgrade potential with frame swap later?

jim25

The defy alu range all use the same frame regardless of model number

TiRed

All defy’s including my SL have the same geometry. But for me, whilst the aluminium frame is very good (son2 has one), I’d go carbon and Tiagra over alloy and 105. The composite frame, whilst budget for Giant, is no budget carbon frame. It is only 400g heavier than mine, but might have the alloy steerer too.

They are all good though. See if you can ride the alloy one first.

The one thing I might upgrade is the chainset, as Tiagra is a bit of a looker compared with the FSA

Toasty

Not sure about the Defys, but on the TCR side the frame weight difference is tiny:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backoffice/_upload_au/WinWithGiant%E2%80%93RoadFrameTestData%E2%80%93FINAL.pdf

They’re last years numbers I think, this years Composite has a full carbon fork, it used to be heavier than the alloy frames forks. Even then though it’s only 60g heavier than the composite. You’d save about 250g on 105 over Tiagra.

spyke85
    Free Member

jim25, the frames are slightly different. Defy 1 and 0 have press fit bottom brackets.

stratman
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed my Defy advanced -I bought an end of season one last year. I’d say stick with carbon, I find the ride at least as comfortable as my old 531c framed road bike. You can change the bits when they wear out

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy composite 3 – help (build is cheap) I liked’ is closed to new replies.