Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ghetto Tubeless
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

I saw in this months MBR an article on ghetto tubeless. Just wonndering if anyone had tried it and with what success.

sheldona
    Free Member

Yes done it on several bikes and it works well, however some tyres seal, some don't as the sidewalls are very thin.
    Also Kenda tyres don't like Stans sealent, the sealent brakes down the tyre so it bulges out.

Hip
    Free Member

Not read the MBR article but BMX tube tubeless works for me, for over 6 months now…

No problem with the Kenda nevegal I have on the back using stans sealant either except getting air into it in the first place, glad I have a compressor. 🙂

13thfloormonk

if you're not mechanically inclined/persistant then you might want to think twice, it can be a real p.i.t.a to install.

To avoid the need for a compressor try wrapping several wraps of insulating tape around the rim. This makes the tyre a much tighter fit but prevents air pouring out the sides when you try to inflate. That said i sometimes still resort to cheapy CO2 cartridges…

Definitely worthwhile i reckon.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's really not hard to do at all, the only hard part is finding a compressor capable of blowing hard and fast, otherwise you're going to look like a muppet with a pump and lots of insulating tape.

Hip
    Free Member

CK – I found I didn't need hard and fast air, just a constant flow so I could see where the air was leaking and pinch / manipulate the tyre till it found a seal and inflated. My compressor is lowly 1.5hp 25ltr similar to the Aldi special only less powerfull… 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

yep done it on both bikes. a bit fiddly the first couple of times – as coffeeking says, you need to find a compressor that blows a consistent stream of air. the digital compressors you find at most petrol stations these days are a right pain. i've spent countless 20p's watching my tyre nearly inflate then just before the bead seats the compressor backs off for a few seconds, the bead moves away from the rim and the air escapes. and then it repeats itself. but persistance wins in this game.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

What size tube would you use for ghetto on a 29er rim?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tonnes of threads on here about it – search.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hip – any compressor is FAR better than a track pump!

uplink
    Free Member

i've spent countless 20p's watching my tyre nearly inflate

Slight hijack
    Last week I thought one of my tyres felt a bit soft so I pulled up to the air pump ………… £1

A f@#king QUID!!!!!!

rant over – as you were 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

ive done it on my xm321 rims with bmx tubes and stans sealant worked a treat easy to do too .easier than both my stans and dt proper tubeless set ups and holds air better too

firestarter
    Free Member

ive done it on my xm321 rims with bmx tubes and stans sealant worked a treat easy to do too .easier than both my stans and dt proper tubeless set ups and holds air better too

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I've done it on a few wheels now and some were fine and some were a bit fiddly.

I used the Schwalbe BMX tube (see CRC) as it has a removable valve – not essential but handy.

I found with normal tyres they went on fine, inflated well and stayed sealed.

However, with UST tyres on my DT rims they were just too tight and would not go on by hand, however good my technique is and however much lubrication was used 🙁 and using levers will risk nipping the tube, so I'm going to try the tape-and-valve method instead with them.

My advice is:

– clean the rim thoroughly, including the rim bead
    – fit the tyre carefully – no levers
    – use plenty of suds between the tyre and rim
    – use a compressor
    – don't trim the tube too close to the tyre, as you may want to change tyres in the future and it builds in a margin of error when you're refitting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.