Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • gettingtoNZtrackworld – advice
  • RudiBoy
    Free Member

Anyone flown out to New Zealand recently from the UK

I am looking to get to Christchurch, and there seems to be a few airlines that I can use, but was wondering if someone has any advice on which one is quickest/cheapest/most comfortable.

flying out of any London

thanks in advance

anagallis_arvensis

Stopping in Dubai and again in Singapore or where ever means you avoid 13 hour hell.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Avoid US transfers. Even the BA First lounge at LAX is shit, so heaven knows how bad it is overall!

I’d go via SIN personally. Changi is an awesome airport. HKG is also pretty good, but SIN would win for me.

I’d also suggest a one stopper if you can. Every time you take off, land, etc you’re adding another potential cockup or delay.

jimdubleyou

Have flown to NZ a few times now (admittedly not recently).

Favourite was Air NZ, as they give you free stop overs in the South Pacific – but that’s not on your list, they do an almost non-stop flight to Auckland via Hong Kong. If you’re definitely not stopping over in the SP avoid LAX – the transfer is an unpleasant holding pen.

If you’re only interested in going to Christchurch, it might be worth seeing if there are any short-hops from CHC to Sydney or Melbourne as your choice of routes should make the long flight cheaper.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Cheers all. Was looking at Singapore Airlines, as they are the quickest and seem fairly competitive. Not thought about stop overs as I would like to try and spend as much time as possible in nz. Even though it would break up the monotony a little. Will check out air nz.

Have also been told the cattle class on Singapore Airlines is meant to be a little better than ba

yunki
    Free Member

I flew to Auckland with China Southern stopping at Guangzhou..

Cheapest by far and more than comfortable enough with up to date movies, ok food and plenty booze..
    Good noodles etc at Guangzhou, the smoking area is unimaginable but with 20 fags for 5p it’s hardly surprising..
    Long stopover, but theoretically you can get out and about to look at the city without a visa as it’s a transit province..

I enjoyed the journey..

They do a flight to Christchurch

Marin
    Free Member

Flew to Chch with no stopover few years ago. Think I changed planes in Singapore. Jet lag was like an acid trip after special brew but without the fun bit beforehand. Check to see if the airport you use had showerrs available. Quick wash change of pants T-shirt do wonders for you. And heavily moisturise at the free samples at duty free.

m0rk
    Free Member

Cattle Class on Singapore has done us proud the last three trips. Decent food included, and entertainment system is decent.

Pilots are a bit happy to flick on the seat belt light which gets on your tits a bit.

But the ‘best’ flight out we had was a 2-3hr transfer in Singapore, enough time to brush your teeth & a new T-Shirt. Basically got on the plane in London, took a sleeping tablet. Did the same again when taking off from Singapore & felt like I was on NZ time when we arrived totally rested.

If you have to stay longer, they have a decent hotel airport (not cheap) but quiet, and cool

//off to look at flights

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Flew to Christchurch from Manchester about 6 years ago with air Singapore. Would highly recommend them, a lot better than a recent long haul flight with ba. The only reason I went with them originally was because it was the cheapest.
    Singapore airport is really good as well if you have a longish stop over. They have showers available which was quite nice for a refresh and do free city tours. Also have a free cinema.

mulacs

Another vote for Singapore. Were pretty good when we flew out last year. Food was excellent and Tiger beer. Avoid Air Malaysia like the plague. Last tip is make sure you’re on an A380 – they’re fantastically comfortable and everything else just feels like a bouncy tub in comparison…

ratadog

We have gone from Manchester as it is more convenient for us, but that does limit options. Singapore and Emirates have both been fine and I would recommend either.

NZCol

Air NZ via is fastest ‘direct’ flight – downside is us transfer but new air NZ lounge is really good. Econ service good , have a look at the fold down bed you can do with 3 seats for extra charge
    Depends where you come from in uk, Emirates ok as well but extra hops as Dubai then oz but you can then go direct to ChCh.
    Singapore airlines good service and Changi airport always good for a swim.
    I was doing the commute every month for a long time so have done a fair few trips, you will have min 3 flights no matter what. Also have a good search for premium econ flights – the air NZ via honkers is now Cathay between lhr and hkg as air NZ gave that route up a couple of years back.
    Edit: London, right so Air NZ or Singapore or Emirates take your pick. A stopover in Asia is often quite cool, I did Hawaii as wel with air NZ once !

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Thanks guys your advice is much appreciated. Loads of food for thought. The advice about a stop over might be worth considering. Wasn’t planning on it, but it might be worth it, even for a day I Singapore.

timmys

I would recommend Singapore Airlines as well. Food is good, particularly if you opt for the asian food rather than the Western options. Singapore Changi airport is mental. They do free tours of the city if you have 5 hours or more to spare, free cinema, roof top swimming pool, butterfly garden etc. Obviously don’t consider going via Dubai as you’d have to set foot in Dubai.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Comfy? Up the front of the plane, not cheap though.

Done Oz/UK twice last year. Ethiad/virgin in Abu Dhabi, same as Emirates it gives you the option of a local UK departure so you avoid going to Heathrow.
    Avoiding the stop in Sydney a lot do is worth it as it’s just hopping off while they refuel.
    Singapore is a nice airport to stop in, Abu Dhabi is OK.. Dubai is too big and no way I’d go back to LAX unless I had to.

antennae
    Free Member

Changi was already my favourite for stopover but didn’t know about the swimming pool, nice!

Are you travelling with bike RudiBoy? That puts a different spin on things.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The massage in the crown plaza also saved me after screwing up my back when I was out there. Didn’t find the pool though!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Comfy? Up the front of the plane, not cheap though.

Very true. No matter how good the economy service, it’s still a bloody long way in a tin can full of other people.

Even at the comfy end, it’s till pretty horrid as it’s such a long trip.

NZCol

I can report the new Star alliance lounge in LAX is fantastic !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is that the 1st class one? I got booted over to delta, that is shit

keppoch

I went to NZ last month (and had a great time).

As above a key consideration (as a STW member) is if you are travelling with your bike.

If you are not taking a bike prices are a pretty level playing field, if you are taking a bike baggage conditions and prices change this completely.

I traveled with a bike on China Eastern. Good if unexciting journey and a stopover in Shanghai (which as mentioned can be visited with a transit visa). The best bit was that even in economy your baggage allowance is two pieces each 23kg.

I flew Heathrow – Auckland and took a Jetstar (£45) to Nelson. I’m sure there are similar linking flights to Christchurch.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I flew Heathrow – Auckland and took a Jetstar (£45) to Nelson. I’m sure there are similar linking flights to Christchurch.

Lol, there might be a couple of flights around the country. Great extra bag prices on air nz too.

steveh

When I went to NZ I flew Quantas as they had the best baggage allowance at 30kg included vs 23kg. Most of the flights were Emirates code share and the price was as good as any other.

I ended up booking via STA travel as they could beat any online prices I could find.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

30kg, not sure I could go back to that little 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35710969

An Emirates Airbus A380 jet has made what is believed to be the world’s longest non-stop scheduled commercial flight by distance.
    The plane had covered a distance of about 14,200km (8,824 miles) when it touched down in Auckland in New Zealand on Wednesday.

Worth a look, the A380 is probably not that bad for that length of time

pomona
    Free Member

Worth a look, the A380 is probably not that bad for that length of time

A388 for only the first few flights then swapping to a B772-LR

Singapore Airlines are your best bet for comfort if you’re going economy. They fly direct to ChCh so that cuts out a leg.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My only problem with Singapore is the amount of Beige in the Cabin 😉
    I did just re read that and yes the 777 isn’t the nicest place to spend 17hrs..

rone

Singapore Airlines is the only Airline that has ever impressed me.

A380 to Singapore – only thing that blighted it was an unrealistic 1hr transfer at Singapore Airport (1hr late turning off!) – which meant a 12hr stop over – but we got Taxi, Hotel and grub plus a bit of time to look around. All worked well.

There’s a great seat on the upper deck of the A380 with no seats in front. Well worth paying extra for.

A380 was not fun in turbulence though! But hey it’s part of the journey.

The beige in the cabin is offset by lots of petite attractive ladies in local dress 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

only thing that blighted it was an unrealistic 1hr transfer at Singapore Airport

Hmm, it took me an hour to get to the other side of the airport on a couple of occasions, I call 90mins a tight turnaround there!!

z1ppy

Emirates ok as well but extra hops as Dubai then oz but you can then go direct to ChCh.

Brother just went with then, he was sold the flight (along with numerous other passengers) as a single transfer, completely unimpressed. As an aside, he said the service was rubbish too.. This is a professional (unbiased) review from a BA steward (20 years), after he choose them over BA!

hels
    Free Member

I flew Malaysian Airlines to Auckland once. It was cheaper, good timings, short transfers, and the food was ace. Not sure I would recommend them again….

pomona
    Free Member

Malaysian are fine. They were just staggeringly unlucky twice in a short space of time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They also stopped taking hold luggage on a couple of routes as the wind meant they didn’t have enough fuel capacity…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘gettingtoNZtrackworld – advice’ is closed to new replies.