• This topic has 44 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by cbike.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Getting rid of pigeons
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Just installed a decked area at the bottom of the garden and have quickly come to realise that it is directly below a favourite spot in a tree for the local pigeons and the mess they leave is disgusting (and Googling suggests it won’t be very good for the decking either).

I have tried shooting them with the kids’ Nerf water pistols which has some success for short periods but I assume pigeons have very limited memory skills so just keep coming back.

I have searched around and reviews on sonic repellers and decoy owls etc seem very mixed so I was wondering if anyone has had any kind of success with any methods?

Cheers

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tried the RSPB site?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shoot.
    Cook.

Drac

Sounds like the pigeons were there first to me.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I assume pigeons have very limited memory skills

Pigeons have excellent memory skills. They are also extremely territorial and will always return to their homes.

They’re sort of famous for this.

bubs

My parents use a decoy Eagle Owl which is not subtle but has worked so far. You could try those plasticy spike things too if you dont mind a network rail look….but a tree seems fair ‘game’ for pigeons.

Jamie
    Free Member

Get a fake eagle or some such.

cranberry
    Free Member

oldnpastit

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

The spikes will be tricky to attach to the branches No?

Some fake Owl or Bird of Prey would be my guess..

Or move the patio, obvz..

johndoh
    Free Member

Move the patio? Not with what’s buried under there.

jimjam
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Get a fake eagle or some such.

allfankledup

Depending on feasibility (boundaries, proximity to other houses etc), I’d shoot them – or find someone from an air rifle HFT club who would do the same..

fasthaggis

submarined
    Free Member

Have you thought about purchasing a medium sized Sumatran tiger?

teethgrinder

Thermite?

munrobiker
    Free Member

km79
    Free Member

I’d rather have some pigeons to look at make home in my trees than have a deck to sit on.

[video]https://youtu.be/dexQhvczVeM[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

hols2
    Free Member

kayak23

submarined – Member

A decoy one would do.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheaper version, plus you get to eat some teeth rotting cereal before placing the box in a prominent position to scare off the birds

ebennett

I assume pigeons have very limited memory skills
    Pigeons have excellent memory skills. They are also extremely territorial and will always return to their homes.

They’re sort of famous for this.

Coffee-keyboard interface just happened 😆

fasthaggis

submarined – Member

A decoy one would do.

Careful now

johndoh
    Free Member

Pretend birds purchased.

Found three of the buggers in the tree this morning – and they were out of range of the Nerf gun so I resorted to a stone. Rats with wings. Nasty things.

franksinatra

I saw a video once of a guy re-engineering a nerf gun to make it more effective. It involved up rating the spring and attaching razor blades to the bullets.

That would do the job nicely.

johndoh
    Free Member

Mine is a Nerf water pistol. I guess I could upgrade by using acid? Or petrol?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Standing under the tree firing acid upwards – what could go wrong 😉 ? I suspect British pigeons are not afraid of a drop of water !

Air rifle will kill a few but probably not dissuade them from returning. Decoys can work well but if that’s placed under the tree the pigeons lay feel safe high up anyway

johndoh
    Free Member

I suspect British pigeons are not afraid of a drop of water !

I am sure they are not, it’s just to startle them and it does work for a day or so. I keep forgetting to go out in the evening when they are settling down – I assume if I get them to move then, they will stay away overnight and hopefully find a nicer tree to s/hit in.

Decoys can work well but if that’s placed under the tree the pigeons lay feel safe high up anyway

I was going to put them in the tree.

Cougar

Get a cat. But then you’ll have to deal with cat shit, so get a dog. But then you’ll have deal with… about that tiger, then?

johndoh
    Free Member

I already have a dog. Dog is afraid of cats. But loves chasing birds. I think dog thinks dog is cat. I shall tie the dog up in the tree.

Thank you Cougar for giving me clarity on the solution.

IHN

Rats with wings. Nasty things.

If you’re living in a city, then there’s some validity to that

If you’re not, well, they’re an indigenous species of bird, and they were there first.

RustySpanner

Big metal chicken in a prominent spot.

Seems to work for us at keeping some of the thicker birds off the veg.
    🙂

fasthaggis

How about a small speaker in the tree playing Radio2?
    They would get so bored/angry that they would leave the tree.

or you could sing to them

johndoh
    Free Member

If you’re living in a city, then there’s some validity to that

If you’re not, well, they’re an indigenous species of bird, and they were there first.
    So are wasps, rats, foxes etc – it doesn’t mean I want them in my garden.

nedrapier

Individual pigeons, probably not, with a lifespan of 6 years. Family/genus/species as a whole, probably moved in as the ice retreated, as did bipedal hominids.

franksinatra

Standing under the tree firing acid upwards – what could go wrong ?

Obvious solution is obvious. You need a small flame at the end of the barrel and you also need to replace the acid with petrol.

franksinatra

Individual pigeons, probably not, with a lifespan of 6 years

You are wrong. I remember as a kids watching a BBC factual documentary where one of the pigeons (called Clara) was a long distance lorry driver. There is no way a 6 year old could hold a HGV licence so they must live much longer than than six years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Getting rid of pigeons’ is closed to new replies.