Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Getting rid of Google.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Hello all!

After kicking Arsebook to the curb last year my sites are now set on the Death Star (Google). I’m sick of these sites trying to be everything and connect things I don’t want connected etc. What I’m trying to do is delete a Gmail account, which is also a youtube account 👿 All well and good except I have a Youtube Channel which seems to be connected to this account. Is it possible to just have the channel? Or detach it from the Google account?

Thanks.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Your Google account IS your YouTube account.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think if you go to account settings up in top right hand corner of youtube, Advanced settings, you can attach or detach accounts from channels.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ah, ok. Thanks. But what of the channel? Is that part of the account too?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner. I’ll check that.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Seems apt. 😛

Stoner
    Free Member

as fully paid-up google and android devotee, can I join in google+ bashing? God it’s a hateful concept! I only have to use it so my colleagues and I can do group video calls. Other than that we don’t use it AT ALL. But then I also revert to Google Classic Maps whenever I can too. Im a luddite really 😉

jambourgie
    Free Member

So do you have to have a Google+ account to use Youtube? Ie; comment and view 18+ videos etc

Couldn’t find a way to detach my channel btw.

chambord
    Free Member

I find that a lot of academics use google plus to share info about publications or lectures (Possibly because it plays nicely with YouTube?) Granted that isn’t going to be of much use to everyone but it provides something to distract me most mornings.

EDIT: Sorry that doesn’t help the OP much, just thought I’d chip in and stick up for it a little bit 😛

Milkie
    Free Member

So do you have to have a Google+ account to use Youtube?

Yes. You need a Google+ account to have a Youtube account.

Surely if you are getting rid of Google you would get rid of Youtube as it is owned by Google?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Surely if you are getting rid of Google you would get rid of Youtube as it is owned by Google?

This. I hate Microsoft but I still use Skype.

Having a gmail / google+ account costs you nothing and you need not share any info with them or use it all other than as a YouTube login. We use all these applications for free we should expect their owners to try and make money somehow including by advertising and by mining our usage.

jambourgie
    Free Member

It’s not a boycotting action. I just preferred it back in the day when things were modular. So I still want to use Youtube, but I don’t want it connected in any way to my email account/Online Banking/Fridge etc etc.

I guess I’d just like to view and comment on videos anonymously without emails being sent to all my friends saying “Mr Bourgie is watching ‘Fat Girl Eats Her Own Tapeworm!’ on Youtube”

Or something.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er, does it do that? I watch youtube videos and I don’t think my friends get emailed…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jambourgie – just set up a youtube specific gmail account then

chambord
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6e7wfDHzew[/video]

Eric Schmidt – “If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place.”

jambourgie
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Er, does it do that? I watch youtube videos and I don’t think my friends get emailed…

Probably not. I’m exaggerating.

Basically, the account I’ve got now is basically an old work email address. Stupidly I set up a channel on Youtube using that account. I now want to keep the channel but delete the user account.

jambourgie
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

@jambourgie
    – just set up a youtube specific gmail account then

Bingo! The question is whether I could transfer my channel to that.

Also, Gmail or G+?

Edit: Thanks Nemesis.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Eric Schmidt – “If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place.”

🙄

“If you’ve got nothing to hide…”

njee20
    Free Member

So you don’t want to get rid of Google at all, just change the email address associated with your YouTube channel…?

I want to banish Tesco from my life forever. Well… actually… I just fancy a different sandwich for lunch. 😕

jambourgie
    Free Member

Hehe 😀

Well, I’ve swapped Google for DuckDuckGo, and am trying to get rid of Gmail. Youtube was much better before Google took over imo.

vorlich
    Free Member

I ditched gmail about a year ago. Fastmail is proving to be a very capable alternative.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I found duck duck go frustrating, it seemed only to list US info. Bing seems betterer. YMMV

molgrips
    Free Member

Bing is a joke. I wish it worked better because it’s integrated into my phone better.

mogrim

I don’t like the way G+ is forced down your throat for any and all Google services, but G+ itself isn’t that bad – subscribe to some decent channels and there’s actually quite a lot of good stuff on it.

muggomagic

I generally only use G+ from backing up photos from my phone and the excellent auto-awesome features. It’s also good for any android related news. I have started to notice there are a lot more cycling channels on it now so it’s getting better for that too.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Getting rid of Google.’ is closed to new replies.