Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Getting over bad ride days?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Grumpy with mesself. Went to the quarry with Martin but struggled with everything – climbs, steeps, [why do I nose bonk on tabletops?], Brake grabbing, couldn’t pop etc

What is the cause of bad ride days and how do you get over them?

jam-bo

statistics init. to have a decent amount of good and great rides then you have to have the odd duff one.

forge197
    Free Member

I think the cause can be general tiredness or distracted with other things that might be going on.

I have days like that, had one three weeks ago in Mabie everything was just not right, heavy legs, couldn’t get over obstacles small climbs like mountains. Was there today and it couldn’t have been more of contrast felt great.

For me I get over them by knowing the next ride will be better 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

just get back out again, most of my ride days feel like that, tend to think the frustration and disappointment in myself makes me try harder and work harder next time.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I might get tipsy tonight 🙂 A friend made me some lemoncello – yum

sharki
    Free Member

Many of my rides days are terrible, either trying to hard or not consentrating enough, but i know down the line i’ll have one of those days were it all just clicks……

It maybe the next or a few away, but it will come and that’s the best feeling ever(in riding) had the first in ages Thursday evening the climbs were easy and the downs were pinned.

jam-bo

the climbs were easy cos we walked most of them…

sharki
    Free Member

I don’t like to leave tourists alone up there..

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well my ride at Mabie was a lot faster than my one last weekend but then I was trying not to embarrass myself and keep up with a lightning fast forge197 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its better to recognise when you’re not “feeling it” and leave riding alone.Occasionally you’ll start out feeling crap and get into it but usually it just gets worse.Have a day off,you’re statistically unlikely to die if you miss a ride every now or again (unless your life is so empty and worthless that the only justification for living is riding push bikes in which case please carry on).

sharki
    Free Member

(unless your life is so empty and worthless that the only justification for living

Ouch, you touched my nerve then…..

I’ll carry on then.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Remember…there’s always beer.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

unless your life is so empty and worthless that the only justification for living is riding push bikes

Well to extent, I ride to avoid episodes of mild depression so yes it probably applies !!

bomberman
    Free Member

I had a strange ride lastnight binned it in the woods over the bars and when i got up onto the moors it was strange nobody there, windy as hell and dusky and couldn’t see the rocks because of the flat light. Had “Highway to hell” stuck in my head all the way round! even the cows were freaking me out 😕

forge197
    Free Member

Was a good ride today Simon.

I think when having an off day it’s often best to call it a day early on to avoid any accidents!! That’s what I do, or not go….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I definitely have good and bad days – the key for me is to recognise when I am having a bad day and back off a bit so I don’t crash! Enjoy the view instead.

Also avoid riding with certain people ( Winstonsmith can you hear me?) as I always have a bad day when out riding with them.

MoreCashThanDash

If you never had a bad day, you’d never know what a good day was.

bomberman
    Free Member

TJ – spot on about backing off a bit on off days, especially if you’re used to pushing on technical bits. it just takes a lapse in concentration and before you know it you’re praising your Giro 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bomberman – or squashing your head 😉

buly79
    Free Member

I think I may be a bit odd I never have a bad ride day, I always enjoy it always have fun, no matter what.

fisha
    Free Member

Feel a bit like the OP today after last nights ride. Just seemed to be to be a case of not really enjoying it … dunno whether it was just the course ( too twisty perhaps ) but today I’ve just been feeling crap about it. I came off the bike last night and was thinking ” I prefer the road ride last week with the group ”

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I had a shoddy ride around Dalby the other week after spending a few days in Glentress…

Drove 4 hrs to get there. (2 to get home, pick up the bikes and the mrs and 2 to get to Dalby) Sat in the cafe, drinking brews thinking “I can’t really be arsed, it’s rubbish compared to Innerleithan etc” Couldn’t concentrate at all, kept riding into things/hitting stumps with my feet etc. Had no enthusiasm in Dixons Hollow – mainly because it wasn’t the park in GT. Sacked it off half way round and followed the bail-out route back to the car. Drove the 2 hrs home to drop bikes and mrs off, have a shower etc then drove the other 2 hours back to work.

It was, to be fair, one of the shittest days I’ve ever had on a bike…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Getting over bad ride days?’ is closed to new replies.